Gold Crown IV Pro 8 Rebuild

coolidge

I got this 2007 GC IV Pro 8 for Christmas. New Brunswick super speed cushions have arrived as have the Simonis 860HR cloth. RKC's glue is inbound. First up reassembling the frame and base.

With timbers like this she needs a nautical name like Queen Anne's Revenge or something.

gcpro01.jpg

gcpro02.jpg

coolidge

What's the purpose of the extensions? Support for slate?
Yes, RKC said these GC IV's had a known issue with the end slates sagging due to inadequate support. The end section of the frame is only held on with 1 bolt on each side.

stevelomako

Cash. I uses cash beech.
Silver Member
I beefed up the ends of the frame after speaking with RKC.

Here's the before shot.

View attachment 622555

And after

View attachment 622556

Nice job what you did there.

Something’s seems off to me though about beefing up the frame for the slates and I can’t put my finger on it yet.

How much do the slates hang off the ends on an 8ft table?

Then it seems like you’d need to beef it up under the middle of the slates. It’s 3 slates rights?

I keep coming back and looking at the pictures. I don’t know but I do know nobody compares to the frames on a Brunswick. Solid.

coolidge

Nice job what you did there.

Something’s seems off to me though about beefing up the frame for the slates and I can’t put my finger on it yet.

How much do the slates hang off the ends on an 8ft table?

Then it seems like you’d need to beef it up under the middle of the slates. It’s 3 slates rights?

I keep coming back and looking at the pictures. I don’t know but I do know nobody compares to the frames on a Brunswick. Solid.

The middle is well supported. Here's the frame upright now with the two center T supports installed. The beam under the T is almost 3x5 inches and the top piece is 7 inches wide x 1.75 inches thick.

You can see the ends of the frame are hanging in mid air, the leg pedestals are inset. The end rails and slate hang off even further. I don't think the factory design is a problem until someone parks their 250 lb butt on the end of the table trying to make a shot right.

frame05.jpg

Last edited:

stevelomako

Cash. I uses cash beech.
Silver Member
The middle is well supported. Here's the frame upright now with the two center T supports installed. The beam under the T is almost 3x5 inches and the top piece is 7 inches wide x 1.75 inches thick.

You can see the ends of the frame are hanging in mid air, the leg pedestals are inset. The end rails and slate hang off even further. I don't think the factory design is a problem until someone parks their 250 lb butt on the end of the table trying to make a shot right.

View attachment 622588

That looks good.

Maybe because it was upside down and facing outwards disassembled it was throwing me off. Then assembled upside down without the crossbeams in it it seemed off to me.

I noticed some stuff in the corner there, if you play bad one day you just grab one of those and start singing the blues.

Looking good

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Is this a home table? Isn't this a tad bit of overkill? I've seen GC4's in poolrooms that never had sagging issues as long as you kept people off them. The RKC angle-iron modification does the same thing. Very nice job but is it really needed?
People used to think that 4000-4500HP was overkill in a race car with doors too and now its almost the norm.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Huh?? Apples and oranges there. Propping up the end of a GC doesn't require bridge-like modifications. HP in a race car is a win/lose scenario. In whatever class you race in you have to compete with others in the class. I don't see any comparison here. Speaking of big hp, a buddy used to wrench on a ProMod car. 3700hp in a 2,500lb carbon fiber body beast. About a 6sec quarter, crazy.
Im sure that combo was well into the 5's at over 220-230MPH. Its just insane what they are doing HP wise. I know a guy that put his 500" twin turbo on a dyno, they were expecting to see 4000-4500HP, at the end of the day it put out 5,400HP!!!
Yeah, Apples and Oranges but there aint nothing wrong with doing too good of a job. If a little bit of extra strength helps more strength wont hurt unless your table has a maximum weight that you have to adhere to.