Gold Crown IV Pro 8 Rebuild

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Face angle is more important than pocket size in determining difficulty of the table imo. I.e. The pictured pocket's (corner) are almost approaching parallel which would make them play far easier than even a much larger pocket opening but w/greater Face angle. It's a fine balance with multiple factors contributing besides just opening size.
While I agree with you on parallel pockets, this is not the case with this table. It’s tough. They are 4 degrees from being parallel at 139. If you brush the rail on the way in with anything other than pocket speed it isn’t dropping.

When you tighten a pocket past 4.5” you cannot keep the same pocket angle. If you do, it will not play properly resulting in cleanly hit balls down the rail to rattle. If these pockets (4.125”) were cut at 141-142 degrees the table wouldn’t play like it should.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Slates flat, screwed down and locked together with super glue. That's right I used all 14 screws because it tried to vex me, it was on after that! 😂

Table leveled, seams Bondo'd and 400 grit wet sanded so even a human fingertip can't detect the seam. Well I guess super leveled behold the Starrett No 199 level of truth.

View attachment 625028

It's ready for the new Simonis 860HR cloth.

View attachment 625029

Read about a @realkingcobra method of forcing a bowed slate down flat using a bottle jack and rachet strap. One slate was bowed .005 high. I was able to press down with one hand in the center of the slate and bring it to flat. Lacking a bottle jack...wait for it...I put a Marshall 50 watt JCM800 amp head on end in the center of the slate and got it flat. Take that Mmacgyver.
Cheating again i see😅🤣😂

coolidge

That will work!

pocketskirt02.jpg

coolidge

Looks good. Are you going to wrap it in cloth?
No I'm good with the black as-is. Kind of fits the black motif of the table, it has black rail caps, skirts and legs. I did switch to Nylon filament you can beat on that stuff with a hammer. Prints 3-4x faster than the urethane rubber.

coolidge

Repairs complete. On one end slate someone had chiseled away some of the backing board for whatever reason. I glued some Poplar inserts in to bring it back flush with the bottom so the pocket skirts sit flush. Corner pocket skirts are printing now on the 3D printer.

repair01.jpg

repair02.jpg

coolidge

Well now making progress, new cushions installed, repeated this for 5 more rail sections. Man what a chore which began with stripping the built up gobs of glue off the pocket faces to get to bare wood. Various small repairs. Next I'm gluing cushion facings on in 3...2...1

rb08.jpg

rb09.jpg

coolidge

Well that was easy, all the cushion facings are now installed, only took 30 minutes. I had applied the glue earlier so maybe add another 30 minutes for the whole job.

Next comes the pucker factor of trimming the cushion facings. I think I'll let the glue cure until tomorrow before attempting that. I noticed on the old cushions a few oops by the previous guy with the grinder that gouged into the cushions. I have this thin flexible stainless steel gadget for polishing guitar frets without damaging the wood fingerboard, I may try using that to protect the cushions while I trim the facings.

^^^ Any tips from you mechanics on this?? @realkingcobra @bradsh98 others?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Well that was easy, all the cushion facings are now installed, only took 30 minutes. I had applied the glue earlier so maybe add another 30 minutes for the whole job.

Next comes the pucker factor of trimming the cushion facings. I think I'll let the glue cure until tomorrow before attempting that. I noticed on the old cushions a few oops by the previous guy with the grinder that gouged into the cushions. I have this thin flexible stainless steel gadget for polishing guitar frets without damaging the wood fingerboard, I may try using that to protect the cushions while I trim the facings.

Makita 9031 belt sander with 120 grit
9031__2_1376x1376.jpg

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member

Like RKC, I also use the Makita with 120 grit.

However, I started out with a Harbor Freight 'Electric File'. I don't see it on their website, but they are/were under $30. I used one for about 5 years, before upgrading to the Makita. In fact, I hated the Makita when I first started using it. But now, I love it. Besides, it's a super handy tool to have.

If you use Ryobi 18V tools, you could try one of these: Ryobi 18V 1/2" x 18" belt sander
I own one, and sometimes use it when I don't have a power source nearby, which is rare.

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
Like RKC, I also use the Makita with 120 grit.

However, I started out with a Harbor Freight 'Electric File'. I don't see it on their website, but they are/were under $30. I used one for about 5 years, before upgrading to the Makita. In fact, I hated the Makita when I first started using it. But now, I love it. Besides, it's a super handy tool to have.

If you use Ryobi 18V tools, you could try one of these: Ryobi 18V 1/2" x 18" belt sander
I own one, and sometimes use it when I don't have a power source nearby, which is rare.
If you're really worried about getting carried away on the cushions, just step up to a finer grit sanding belt. It will take you a lot longer, but it will be safer. I think that you'll be fine with 120 though.

I've tried a full range of belts... While you can work much faster with 80 grit, it will often leave a slight step from the cushion to the facing (particularly at the canvas strip). Doesn't look like much when exposed, but you will usually see it with the cloth installed.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
If you're really worried about getting carried away on the cushions, just step up to a finer grit sanding belt. It will take you a lot longer, but it will be safer. I think that you'll be fine with 120 though.

I've tried a full range of belts... While you can work much faster with 80 grit, it will often leave a slight step from the cushion to the facing (particularly at the canvas strip). Doesn't look like much when exposed, but you will usually see it with the cloth installed.
Can also put some masking tape on the cushions first, kind of as a angle indicator to let you know when you're just barely skimming across the cushions as you sand parallel to the cushions as you sand the facings. Good job brad!

coolidge

@realkingcobra @bradsh98 thanks for the tips. Looks like I could order the sander next day but the belts are a week or more out. I'll give this some thought. Update: Found one that comes with the belts, ordered should arrive tomorrow.

Glen yeah I used masking tape when applying the RKC250 which worked out great. Was thinking of doing the same while trimming these. Also, I need a RKC250 advertising magnet or sticker for my tool chest!

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
@realkingcobra @bradsh98 thanks for the tips. Looks like I could order the sander next day but the belts are a week or more out. I'll give this some thought. Update: Found one that comes with the belts, ordered should arrive tomorrow.

Glen yeah I used masking tape when applying the RKC250 which worked out great. Was thinking of doing the same while trimming these. Also, I need a RKC250 advertising magnet or sticker for my tool chest!
I knew I was forgetting something 😅🤣😂

coolidge

The belt sander arrived, 4 rails done 2 to go! I'm taking them 90% there with the belt sander and finishing with the Dremel drum sander. That belt sander removes material quick.