Got some questions on giving weight and gambling.

Travis3c

AV Pool Nut
Silver Member
I have been playing for pretty much since I was able to reach the playing surface. I have never given ball spots to anyone before, mostly just a few games on the wire playing 9 ball. I dont ever ask for spots but I will take them if offered.

We have a guy that started playing about 6 months ago in my local pool room. I know his speed, hes a better gambler than he is shooter. He loves action. He's been hitting me up to play some 9 ball for a few hundred a set, race to 5 games.

He is asking for the 5 ball and the 9 ball.

What exactly does that mean?

Does he win if I miss the 5 ball?
Does he have to shoot at the 5 ball?

He's asking for the 5 and 9, I told him I would do a called 5 ball and he can have the 9 ball, but I get all the breaks using the magic rack.


I really have never played anyone who asks for two balls. I have played matches where i gave a guy the 8 and 9 during some off the wall tournament and if I missed the 8 ball or the 9, my opponent won that game.

I just want to make sure that we are clear before this match happens.
 
I have been playing for pretty much since I was able to reach the playing surface. I have never given ball spots to anyone before, mostly just a few games on the wire playing 9 ball. I dont ever ask for spots but I will take them if offered.

We have a guy that started playing about 6 months ago in my local pool room. I know his speed, hes a better gambler than he is shooter. He loves action. He's been hitting me up to play some 9 ball for a few hundred a set, race to 5 games.

He is asking for the 5 ball and the 9 ball.

What exactly does that mean?

Does he win if I miss the 5 ball?
Does he have to shoot at the 5 ball?

He's asking for the 5 and 9, I told him I would do a called 5 ball and he can have the 9 ball, but I get all the breaks using the magic rack.


I really have never played anyone who asks for two balls. I have played matches where i gave a guy the 8 and 9 during some off the wall tournament and if I missed the 8 ball or the 9, my opponent won that game.

I just want to make sure that we are clear before this match happens.

You both get the 9.
"Give me the 5 and the 9." Means he wins if he makes the 5 or the 9.
"Give me the 5 out." Means he wins if he makes the 5, 6, 7, 8, or 9.
"You got the called 5." Means he wins if he makes the 5 on a called shot. If he slops it, he keeps shooting and has to make the 9.
"You got last 3 and the breaks." Means he gets all the breaks. He wins if he makes any of the last 3 balls on the table. For example: if the last three balls out on the table are 6, 8, 9, and he makes the 6, then he wins.

Obviously you can adjust with things like games on the wire.
For reference: the 8 is worth about one game in a race to 7. The 5 is a weird spot. It's probably worth 3 or 4 games in a race to 7. Since the 5 splits the rack in half, he never has to make more than 5 balls in a row. If you miss the 1, then he makes the 1,2,3,4,5 to win. Or if you miss the 6, then he makes the 6,7,8,9 to win. So you should be looking to play a safe on the 4 to get a BIH to run out the rest of the rack.


This is how I would rack that game if I'm giving up the 5.
1
3 5
6 9 7
8 2
4

And if I'm getting the 5 (which I would never ask for), I would rack like this.
1
6 5
2 9 3
7 4
8


Hope this helps you a little bit. The 5 is a weird ball to ask for. If you're that much better than me, I'd ask for the 6 and the breaks. And I'll play anyone with the 3, 6, and breaks.
 
Last edited:
Its called the "orange crush"
In a gambling game, you can make the rules any thing you want. Missing the five and giving the win for the game is HUGE. In California you supposedly can gamble on pool as long as its an even game. It is supposed to be considered a game of skill. But if you spot, then its illegal. Considered a scam.
 
It's also important to make clear beforehand whether his money ball (the 5) counts on the break. Where I'm from it never counts on the break unless stipulated before the match. Also, If a money ball goes in on the break it's re-spotted.
 
Its called the "orange crush"
In a gambling game, you can make the rules any thing you want. Missing the five and giving the win for the game is HUGE. In California you supposedly can gamble on pool as long as its an even game. It is supposed to be considered a game of skill. But if you spot, then its illegal. Considered a scam.

I wonder...how does the great state of California know if a spot is involved?
 
Back
Top