Great thread on the best 9-ball player. How about one pocket?

lewdo26

Registered User will do
Silver Member
We're going to be here forever. Especially if Jay and Freddy chime in. But Jay is busy ATM. :thumbup:

Most people my generation will say Efren, of course.

Richardson

Who me ?
Silver Member
Today knowing what we know about efren eyes and age. How could anyone not say that Scott Frost is the best 1pkt player ?

And i am talking strictly about today, not last year, not 5 years ago.

lewdo26

Registered User will do
Silver Member
Today knowing what we know about efren eyes and age. How could anyone not say that Scott Frost is the best 1pkt player ?

And i am talking strictly about today, not last year, not 5 years ago.
Oh, so Scott Frost will play Efren even up today when he needed all kinds of weight less than two years ago?

Voodoo Daddy

One Pocket 101
Ronnie Allen...then;

Efren Reyes
Buddy Hall
Nick Varner
Danny Diliberto
Johnny Ervolino
Steve Cook
Cliff Joyner
Scott Frost
Tony Chohan
Billy Palmer <never seen him play but sources speak the truth>
and Im sure I missed a bunch and cant wait to see who.

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
> I never got to see Ronnie Allen in his prime,Jersey Red,Eddie Taylor,or much of Bugs. So without having seen them,I have to say Efren is the best one pocket player I've seen with any regularity.

People are going to say this is nuts,but go back 10 and maybe 15 years,and Grady would be a valid argument,because of how he moved.

As far as right now today,I wouldn't feel like I was getting robbed to bet on Scott. Tommy D.

RFisher

FISHER CUES
Silver Member
Lets assume were talking about the last 20 years.

Efren....No brainer

Shannon Daulton....argue all you want, For about 15 years he was the best. Shannon shot the best offensive/defensive shots "meaning" he would shoot at his hole, leave nothing for his opponent. Banks, Jacked up shots. Awsome. of all the greats IMO, Shannon was the only one at there best I think Efren couldn't/shouldn't spot.

Nick Varner.......The Wedge.

Cliff Joyner......action anyone

Grady Mathews

Allen hopkins/Billy Incardona/Ronnie Allen/Steve Cook/JoseParica

New Bread taking over......Scott, Gabe, Tony, hate to watch him play but the lion can play too.

Some will say Corey Duel, I'm still not sure.

TheMadScientist

Justin Richardson
Silver Member
the best

Ronnie Allen may have been the best, but I never got to see him play in his prime. I did see Efren play in person though and he is truely "the magician" playing one hole. His game may be dropping, but I'm not sure Scott is better yet if they played a long set.(one race to 8 is not that long)

If it was just who moves best, I might say Scott Frost. He has so many stack moves that are really agressive. Scott will miss a ball you don't expect him to miss sometimes though.

-Justin

adam boyd

Banned
Ronnie Allen...then;

Efren Reyes
Buddy Hall
Nick Varner
Danny Diliberto
Johnny Ervolino
Steve Cook
Cliff Joyner
Scott Frost
Tony Chohan
Billy Palmer <never seen him play but sources speak the truth>
and Im sure I missed a bunch and cant wait to see who.

wow this is way off, sorry to say. scott frost # 1 not #8. IMO

Last edited:

JXMIKE

Aspiring Pro player
Silver Member
Efren is the best of the old school, and scott frost is the best modern one pocket player i like his agressive style of play but when he wants too he can also out move you.

Mr441

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Either Ronnie Allen or Efren Reyes, too close to call really. IMO no one else is even in the picture. People can talk all they want about Frost but I still think Reyes is the best today. I really have always liked Varner's one pocket game, definitely top 5.

Q77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From back in the day :

Ronnie Allen
Grady Matthews
Boston Shorty
Cornbread
Buddy Hall
Mike Sigel
Nick Varner
Efren Reyes

JesseBfan

Motivation, where are u?
Silver Member
can Cliff Joyner get no love? LOL I def agree with Efren I don't know how anyone could play better than him. I have 4 different DVD's where Efren beats other top5 type type competition Bustamante(twice) Alex Parica and their combined ball count in these 4 matches Efren 96 Triad 2. How can you argue that?

real irish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Okay let's set the record straight . A lot of players have played good enough 1-hole to be regarded as the best for a short period of time -a week- a month - a year . Ronnie was the best for many years when hardly anybody played 1-pocket .Varner , hopkins , ervolino and a few more guys were all playing as good as grady . For when the game became more popular only one player dominated the world of 1-pocket for 20 years . EFREN REYES !!!