Gulyassy Sledgehammer Question

John Woon

Registered
Just got a Sledgehammer JB and have a question.
Do they all have a moving weight inside? My buddy has one and while it’s subtle there’s a weight that moves forward when you break. You can tap the cue after a break and hear it drop back.
I’m not noticing it on mine and wondering if I need to do some maintenance to free it up

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
If there is a loose freely moving part inside your cue it is either a bad design (and I can't think of anybody with such a design but it wouldn't surprise me if there is some cheap gimicky cue out there somewhere that touts the impressive power of their internal moving piston or other such nonsense that is supposed to hook a few less sophisticated or newer players who don't know any better), or something has gone wrong and come loose. Sounds like something has come loose on/in your friend's cue.

John Woon

Registered
If there is a loose freely moving part inside your cue it is either a bad design (and I can't think of anybody with such a design but it wouldn't surprise me if there is some cheap gimicky cue out there somewhere that touts the impressive power of their internal moving piston or other such nonsense that is supposed to hook a few less sophisticated or newer players who don't know any better), or something has gone wrong and come loose. Sounds like something has come loose on/in your friend's cue.
Interesting perspective and I can’t say that it was intended vs a design flaw, and it sounds gimmicky but….
He’s a 7 who played in national tournaments when he was younger and got his. Plenty of trophies on his shelves.
I’ll do some research on the history of the cues.

LHP5

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve owned two before. Both the original and McDermott’s when they bought the patent. There should be nothing moving.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
Interesting perspective and I can’t say that it was intended vs a design flaw, and it sounds gimmicky but….
He’s a 7 who played in national tournaments when he was younger and got his. Plenty of trophies on his shelves.
As others have said, no Gulyassy should have anything loose and moving. I can't think of any cue from any maker that would be an exception either. I only mentioned the design thing because eventually somebody is going to do it intentionally as part of the design and falsely claim it has some kind of benefit, and it still won't be an exception to it being a bad thing. Loose stuff moving inside the cue pretty much equals stay away from it, or get it fixed.

Keith E.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those Mosconi Cup appearances were some great national tournament action.

Keith