Hand size vs cue butt size?

glfgd82

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey guys, I'm sure this has been discussed before but I have a few questions pertaining to hand size, desired grip and cue feel.

I'm almost 6'7" tall, I have a wing span at 6'11" and my hands are 11.5" in circumference at the base of my fingers, 10.75" from wrist to finger tip and thumb to pinky finger span at 11.75".

I say that to ask this. My current build cue is the following.

63" in length
.820ish at the joint
1.23 at the end of the cue
20.1 Oz

I know I have a ton to work on with my pool game, it's definitely not the arrow and 100% me why I can't break a 5 in APA. But, with my hand size what it is I can't help but think that the slimmer profile butt isn't helping as I feel like I lose the cue in my grip a lot and a loose grip feels like a toothpick to me with no feedback.

I love my current cue, I really do, but I can't help but think the lack of feedback and inability to replicate grip from one shot to another is killing me. There are games where I feel like everything is perfect and then the next shot something gets lost and I lose the feel of the precious shots, most of it is due to also battling grip issues with hand cramps, which I've had since I can remember.

I have a connective tissue disorder and I'm starting to think a larger grip area is in order, I did this with my golf clubs and it made me fall back in love with the game.

Sorry I'm long winded but I'm wondering if anyone has experience with various diameters and how they play a part in the feel part of your game.

Second question is: I'm having another cue made to compare to my current, it will be thicker and a tad longer as I'm having an extension made for it that I will play with full time. Has anyone "built up" a grip area before, and if so, how? Does it affect hit and feel?

Thanks for reading, I'm not expecting my game to improve drastically, just hoping I can find a "true fit" for myself.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey guys, I'm sure this has been discussed before but I have a few questions pertaining to hand size, desired grip and cue feel.

I'm almost 6'7" tall, I have a wing span at 6'11" and my hands are 11.5" in circumference at the base of my fingers, 10.75" from wrist to finger tip and thumb to pinky finger span at 11.75".

I say that to ask this. My current build cue is the following.

63" in length
.820ish at the joint
20.1 Oz

I know I have a ton to work on with my pool game, it's definitely not the arrow and 100% me why I can't break a 5 in APA. But, with my hand size what it is I can't help but think that the slimmer profile butt isn't helping as I feel like I lose the cue in my grip a lot and a loose grip feels like a toothpick to me with no feedback.

I love my current cue, I really do, but I can't help but think the lack of feedback and inability to replicate grip from one shot to another is killing me. There are games where I feel like everything is perfect and then the next shot something gets lost and I lose the feel of the precious shots, most of it is due to also battling grip issues with hand cramps, which I've had since I can remember.

I have a connective tissue disorder and I'm starting to think a larger grip area is in order, I did this with my golf clubs and it made me fall back in love with the game.

Sorry I'm long winded but I'm wondering if anyone has experience with various diameters and how they play a part in the feel part of your game.

Second question is: I'm having another cue made to compare to my current, it will be thicker and a tad longer as I'm having an extension made for it that I will play with full time. Has anyone "built up" a grip area before, and if so, how? Does it affect hit and feel?

Thanks for reading, I'm not expecting my game to improve drastically, just hoping I can find a "true fit" for myself.
Not uncommon at all to have a thicker butt especially with your dimensions. What you have now especially in length sounds pretty thin. Something around 1.3 at the butt cap should make you feel more comfortable.

axejunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with Mr. Webb. I played for a long time with a cue around 1.22 and now play with a thicker butt. I think my stroke has improved. My hands are nowhere near yours but they are not small either.

glfgd82

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not uncommon at all to have a thicker butt especially with your dimensions. What you have now especially in length sounds pretty thin. Something around 1.3 at the butt cap should make you feel more comfortable.
I'm hoping so, I was even thinking 1.35 might be the ticket. Any suggestions on what I can use to bulk up the extension piece to try out thickness changes? I don't know anything about cue finish and what may hurt it.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you considered a rubber sleeve as opposed to a wrap? Or maybe a soft leather wrap like Buffalo? I had an MVP cue with Buffalo wrap and it was amazing.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
try wrapping it with 1/4" cord till you find the size you like. i knew a very small guy that played with a butt at least two inches in diameter and he was a run out player.

but until you get to be better you really wont know what you need so dont worry and just shoot with what is the most comfortable at the time. it will keep changing.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
63" in length
.820ish at the joint
20.1 Oz

You have a long skewer.
Way too skinny for a long cue .
Ridiculously skinny imo.
That's whippier than a meucci.

glfgd82

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
try wrapping it with 1/4" cord till you find the size you like. i knew a very small guy that played with a butt at least two inches in diameter and he was a run out player.

but until you get to be better you really wont know what you need so dont worry and just shoot with what is the most comfortable at the time.
Where can I get a cue with a butt that big! I think I'll try the baseball bat wrap depending on what diameter the new build comes in at. I'm hoping going with a butt that has a bigger diameter all around will help me in feel. I read on here recently how the bigger diameters from the past "felt" better and had a distinct hit to them.

Rospaw1966

Glfgd82 .... I have a question or 3 ..... Do you ever use a bridge? How many times have you hit you head on the pool table light? Can you reach the other long rail on a bar box with your hand for the chaulk?

Sry .... couldn't resist ! lol

glfgd82

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glfgd82 .... I have a question or 3 ..... Do you ever use a bridge? How many times have you hit you head on the pool table light? Can you reach the other long rail on a bar box with your hand for the chaulk?

Sry .... couldn't resist ! lol
What is a bridge
I hate the lights over the table
Almost
Lol

So the mentions of building up my grip area in this thread got me looking at tapes to just wrap on the extension I'm having made for the cue, it will be perfect as I won't have any issues getting into the case and I can try a few types to dial in my grip. Now I'm eager to get in the new cue and compare things from my current to the new and learn what my body prefers in a setup.

glfgd82

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
63" in length
.820ish at the joint
20.1 Oz

You have a long skewer.
Way too skinny for a long cue .
Ridiculously skinny imo.
That's whippier than a meucci.
It is and it isn't. It's weird how solid hitting it really is considering the length. The tip is 12.4mm, it's 31.5" even split. It was made by BHQ back in 07, a complete challenge cue and I really do love it but it's got just a couple short comings to fit what I like, by no fault of Brent's. I asked for a longer cue and he delivered, now that I'm back playing I'm working on the feel in my hand next.

The carbon shaft I had made for it hits really solid, thus may force me to add some grip tape to it and try it out.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember Earl Strickland having a very large cue butt. Was it duct tape?

I believe that was wrap for a tennis racket but I could be wrong. During that time he and SVB were playing and SVB, as you may know, respects Earl as a player and started doing the same to his cue. Not sure how long that lasted but he doesn't do it anymore, I don't believe Earl does either.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm hoping so, I was even thinking 1.35 might be the ticket. Any suggestions on what I can use to bulk up the extension piece to try out thickness changes? I don't know anything about cue finish and what may hurt it.
Good morning.
I work strange hours. Some excellent choices given by the others. With the dimensions of your butt. Have you tried a vaccum cleaner extension like the one for a shop vac 1 1/4". It's a bit bigger on the outside but seems to be tapered on the inside too?

noMoreSchon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1610354946102.png

You can always use duct tape.