Martin Scorsese turned 70 on November 17th. He was born in Queens, New York, in 1942.
In the 70 years since his birth, he's responsible for some of the most indelible images in the history of film. From "Mean Streets" and "Taxi Driver" to "Raging Bull" and "Goodfellas" to "The Departed" and "Hugo," just to name a few. Scorsese contributions to film will be remembered and imitated probably throughout the rest of time.
His most famous movie for pool aficionados, though, is, of course, "The Color of Money." Believe it or not, this was Paul Newman's very first Academy Award win for his role as Fast Eddy Nelson.
The HuffPost Entertainment has compiled 70 of the best quotes from his films, and of course, I had to peruse them, looking for anything from TCOM.
Here's a couple the HuffPost provided from COM:
You gotta have two things to win. You gotta have brains and you gotta have balls. Now, you got too much of one and not enough of the other."
– Eddie in "Color of Money" (1986)
"Money won is twice as sweet as money earned."
– Eddie in "Color of Money" (1986)
"Vincent, get in the car, this is embarrassing. You're acting like some girl who got felt up at the drive-in."
– Eddie in "Color of Money (1986)
I guess mainstream media doesn't think Grady Mathew's line, "Bill, I'll have another Drambuie and potato salad," was worthy of mention, or Keith's, "It's like a nightmare, isn't it? It just keeps getting worse and worse."
But to his credit, he did want "real" pool players in the movie to have a little authenticity, I guess. And the players lined up by the hundreds in Chicago for an opportunity to even be a stand-in for this movie. It paid 50 bucks a day for the non-speaking parts. Nice payday for not having to shoot a ball. :smile:
I wonder if Martin Scorsese was exposed to pool as a young man in Queens. He seems to include pool in quite a few of his movies. Take the recent HBO hit "Boardwalk Empire" where Rothstein is seen playing pool. There's a cute article in the November 2012 InsidePOOL magazine about Tony Robles as the technical director for "Boardwalk Empire" in the pool scenes, and the cover of the magazine shows Lucky Luciano and Arnold Rothstein characters.
Here's a cute quote from "Boardwalk Empire" by Rothstein about never swallowing a cueball:
There was a man once—I don’t recall his name—frequented the billiard parlors downtown. He made a comfortable living wagering whether he could swallow certain objects, billiard balls being his specialty. He’d pick a ball then take it down his gullet to here, and regurgitate it back up. And one evening, I decided to challenge this man to a wager: ten thousand in cash for him to do the trick with the billiard ball of my choosing. Now, he knew I’d seen him do this a dozen times, so I can only surmise that he thought I was stupid. We laid down the cash, and I handed him the cue ball. He swallowed it down, it lodged in his throat, and he choked to death on the spot. What I knew and he didn’t was the cue ball was one sixteenth of an inch larger than the other balls—just too large to swallow. Do you know what the moral of this tale is, Mr. Yale?" "The moral of the story is that if I cause a stranger to choke to death for my own amusement, what do you think I’ll do to you if you don’t tell me who ordered you to kill Colosimo?”
Check out the brand-new pool video clip from "Boardwalk Empirer" about a "shot to nothing." I don't think it's aired yet on the show, maybe tonight: Episode 34, a Shot to Nothing
Happy Birthday, Marty. Thanks for the memories and for injecting a little pool in your flicks.
P.S. If this thread is ever cached on Google and you or your people read this, Mr. Scorsese, Keith McCready is still a member of SAG and is available.
In the 70 years since his birth, he's responsible for some of the most indelible images in the history of film. From "Mean Streets" and "Taxi Driver" to "Raging Bull" and "Goodfellas" to "The Departed" and "Hugo," just to name a few. Scorsese contributions to film will be remembered and imitated probably throughout the rest of time.
His most famous movie for pool aficionados, though, is, of course, "The Color of Money." Believe it or not, this was Paul Newman's very first Academy Award win for his role as Fast Eddy Nelson.
The HuffPost Entertainment has compiled 70 of the best quotes from his films, and of course, I had to peruse them, looking for anything from TCOM.
Here's a couple the HuffPost provided from COM:
You gotta have two things to win. You gotta have brains and you gotta have balls. Now, you got too much of one and not enough of the other."
– Eddie in "Color of Money" (1986)
"Money won is twice as sweet as money earned."
– Eddie in "Color of Money" (1986)
"Vincent, get in the car, this is embarrassing. You're acting like some girl who got felt up at the drive-in."
– Eddie in "Color of Money (1986)
I guess mainstream media doesn't think Grady Mathew's line, "Bill, I'll have another Drambuie and potato salad," was worthy of mention, or Keith's, "It's like a nightmare, isn't it? It just keeps getting worse and worse."
But to his credit, he did want "real" pool players in the movie to have a little authenticity, I guess. And the players lined up by the hundreds in Chicago for an opportunity to even be a stand-in for this movie. It paid 50 bucks a day for the non-speaking parts. Nice payday for not having to shoot a ball. :smile:
I wonder if Martin Scorsese was exposed to pool as a young man in Queens. He seems to include pool in quite a few of his movies. Take the recent HBO hit "Boardwalk Empire" where Rothstein is seen playing pool. There's a cute article in the November 2012 InsidePOOL magazine about Tony Robles as the technical director for "Boardwalk Empire" in the pool scenes, and the cover of the magazine shows Lucky Luciano and Arnold Rothstein characters.
Here's a cute quote from "Boardwalk Empire" by Rothstein about never swallowing a cueball:
There was a man once—I don’t recall his name—frequented the billiard parlors downtown. He made a comfortable living wagering whether he could swallow certain objects, billiard balls being his specialty. He’d pick a ball then take it down his gullet to here, and regurgitate it back up. And one evening, I decided to challenge this man to a wager: ten thousand in cash for him to do the trick with the billiard ball of my choosing. Now, he knew I’d seen him do this a dozen times, so I can only surmise that he thought I was stupid. We laid down the cash, and I handed him the cue ball. He swallowed it down, it lodged in his throat, and he choked to death on the spot. What I knew and he didn’t was the cue ball was one sixteenth of an inch larger than the other balls—just too large to swallow. Do you know what the moral of this tale is, Mr. Yale?" "The moral of the story is that if I cause a stranger to choke to death for my own amusement, what do you think I’ll do to you if you don’t tell me who ordered you to kill Colosimo?”
Check out the brand-new pool video clip from "Boardwalk Empirer" about a "shot to nothing." I don't think it's aired yet on the show, maybe tonight: Episode 34, a Shot to Nothing
Happy Birthday, Marty. Thanks for the memories and for injecting a little pool in your flicks.
P.S. If this thread is ever cached on Google and you or your people read this, Mr. Scorsese, Keith McCready is still a member of SAG and is available.
Attachments
Last edited: