Hard, medium or soft tip

efirkey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How do you choose between the three? Do you just experiment? or does a certain playing style or the type of game you play determine what hardness is best? thanks.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am no cue tip guru, by any means, but I can relay what happened to Keith McCready this week on the subject of tips.

When we arrived at the Joss Tour Season Finale, his poor tip was in pretty bad shape, and he couldn't wait to get to Michael Webb of Webb Custom Cues who was providing on-site maintenance and cue repair.

He had a hard Moori put on his shaft and then played a few matches in the tournament. He was complaining that it must have been a bad batch of Mooris because this tip was mushrooming and was not HARD the way Keith likes his tips.

At the suggestion of Mike Webb to me in the hallway during the tournament, he said that if Keith likes really HARD tips that he should try a Sumo tip. It's a very, very hard tip and may provide the "hit" Keith is looking for. So, free of charge, Mike removes the mushrooming hard Moori tip he just installed and then replaced it with a Sumo. Keith only had 10 minutes to practice with it before his next match. During practice, Keith made a MAJOR miscue on a ball, and if you can believe it, the doggone hard Sumo tip chipped off on the side, leaving a large dent in the tip.

He raced back up to Michael Webb hoping Mike could give him immediate gratification, which was asking a lot. Mike was innundated with cue repairs, tip replacements, shaft cleanings, and new wraps being put on. Danny Basavich had his shaft cleaned, and Corey Duele was also getting some work done by Mike. He managed to get Keith stick fixed before his next match commenced, this time with a Tiger tip.

After three tips installments, Keith finally got comfortable with the tip on his shooting cue. I'm not sure why some tips work and others don't, but it is most definitely an individual preference when it comes to tips. You can't go by what works for others. It's all in what works best for you.

JMHO, FWIW.

JAM

Billy_Bob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The best thing to do is try soft, then medium, then hard tips. Play with each for a month. Then *you* will know the difference.

Troy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For the most part it's personal choice.
Aside from having tips replaced until you find one you like, try some shots with different cues (ask your friends about shooting with their cue).
You've made a good first step if you already know the degree of soft-to-hard that suits your style.
Mueller's has a hardness chart you can use for a relative hardness comparison - http://www.poolndarts.com/index.cfm...9f57129c8-D9DE7FE3-D61C-4F06-B2ED9BEF0C707BB1
The numbers represent a "D" scale Durometer reading.

On the house cues I repair I use Le Pro tips but they are notorious for being inconsistent.

Personally, I use Talisman Pro Soft, but I mostly play 1-Pocket. For the occasional 9/8-ball game I use a different shaft with a Talisman Pro Medium.

Troy
efirkey said:
How do you choose between the three? Do you just experiment? or does a certain playing style or the type of game you play determine what hardness is best? thanks.

Last edited: