Hard tip recs

shag_fu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looking for hard layered tips for house cues. Cheapish with reasonable quality. Preferably sub $20/tip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Willowbrook Wolfy

Going pro
Gold Member
I don’t think the LePros have been that good the past couple years. They’re on almost all my players. I’ve had a few that have needed extra maintenance. One from Viking was good. But only 1-4 of the ones I put on was good. The others have been mushrooming. I would say maybe a bad box, but even the ones that Bob Owen put on my 2 shafts included. 1 was good one was bad. Even the bad ones still hit right, they just seem a little soft and have needed a lot of touch ups. But definitely a good tip for house cues when you get a good one.

I’d go lepro or elk master. You said hard, so forget elkmaster

Last edited:

a1712

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I use WB, Wizards, US Black, SIB and Fire on our house cues. It's fun to watch the guys that shoot regularly scour the racks for that one cue they always use. Brian.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
my favorite hard leather tip is the tiger everest
pretty much doesnt mushroom and just a lovely hit on it the older it gets
had one on a cue for 3 yrs and nothing ever hit like that cue did

George the Greek

I use WB, Wizards, US Black, SIB and Fire on our house cues. It's fun to watch the guys that shoot regularly scour the racks for that one cue they always use. Brian.
I picked out a housecue from the rack and ran 135 points playing snooker with it. I found the same cue in the rack and the damn thing didn't work.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
triangles and lepros a good but not hard they are mediums and all over the place in hardness and quality

derangedhermit

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Tiger Dynamite tips are the hard layered tips that I use. Not quite as hard as a break tip, but harder than Everest and other medium tips. I have them on playing and on break shafts and like them. Price varies, I paid $22 for 2 (and $22 for 2 more...). I got 13mm, they come in 14mm too.

Jedco

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I believe the Thoroughbred medium-hard tips are ideal for your purpose. They are inexpensive and very high quality. I'm not sure why people are recommending LePro and Triangle, since these are not layered tips as you requested.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
with house cues you want soft tips. this way chalk holds better and they will not miscue as much and put holes in your cloth.

plus you can reshape your house cues quickly and often enough so that they arent unusable.