Has the Parade Passed By

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is the problem with making a living off of pool.
There is a prescribed amount of money that pretty much gets passed back and forth.
The road players of old were not well off by any means.
Road players today are getting outed by video.
Sure, every once in a while a rich whale walks into a poolroom.
Other than that it is the same money going back and forth.
Living free making money on your own terms is better than trading hours for dollars, even if it’s less money.

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BTW, I'll say it because this is how I feel. Yes, today's players are the best to ever have played the game of pocket billiards, but man are they lacking in charisma, character and being entertainers.

Unless someone has come up that I've missed, outside of Filler, noone seems to express any kind of emotion. And fillers emotions are basically those of a cocky young man who knows he's at the top.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BTW, I'll say it because this is how I feel. Yes, today's players are the best to ever have played the game of pocket billiards, but man are they lacking in charisma, character and being entertainers.

Unless someone has come up that I've missed, outside of Filler, noone seems to express any kind of emotion. And fillers emotions are basically those of a cocky young man who knows he's at the top.

not disagreeing with you, but maybe that's part of why top players are top- ?
many of the best players release emotion, but usually when the job's done
otherwise, keeping a cool head seems prudent, like souquet did/does ^_^

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

This is why i enjoy watching guys like Alex, Melling and Oi. They still realize its a game and have fun at it. I don't like watching two robotic players play perfect pool.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
That's part of why they are the best to have ever played the game. The guy who doesn't keep his emotions and focus in check is a guy whose game suffers as a result.

Last edited:
The players playing today are the best who have ever played the game, period.
It’s called evolution. The next generation SHOULD beat the current one. They have a huge leg up in that they get to learn from everyone that came before them. Equipment gets (usually) better, knowledge gets deeper, methods of training get better, etc.

middleofnowhere

Registered
It’s called evolution. The next generation SHOULD beat the current one. They have a huge leg up in that they get to learn from everyone that came before them. Equipment gets (usually) better, knowledge gets deeper, methods of training get better, etc.
The problem with the US when they like to compare the US to European players is there's a different attitude in Europe. I played in Europe and the pool rooms actually encourage people to improve.

I don't know if they still have it cuz it's been a few years since I was there but they used to have what they called train time it was a very inexpensive table time if you played by yourself in practice. It literally encouraged you to get on the table and practice.

They have structured leagues that don't just get you out for a night to have a beer and a few games with friends they develop players. In the US pool as a developing sport on non-existant.

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is why i enjoy watching guys like Alex, Melling and Oi. They still realize its a game and have fun at it. I don't like watching two robotic players play perfect pool.
wow i forgot about Oi. Whenever he is on it's must watch TV for me.