HELP - dealing with SLOW SHOOTER

Flex

Banger
Silver Member
Rangercap said:
Johnny Archer = Monk

Man, I saw him play at VF Expo two years ago. Talk about OCD. The floor had this crazy paisley pattern, must have really screwed with his mind. Awesome player, but moves the balls into random pockets all the time. It's kinda fun watching him and trying to figure out which pocket he'll take a ball from, and where he'll put it.

bb

Hey, he's a champion.

Flex

breakup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know your opponent:rolleyes: . Here is just one more chicken shit move for retaliation. It won’t solve the problem but it gives you one more bullet. (and really feels good when it works)

When the time is right from the sense that he is getting into a zone, he makes a difficult shot and is faced with another. At that moment ask him why he played the shot or pattern the way he did in your most sincere voice.

He will be glad to share his wisdom with you and then drive the next ball into the rail.;)

AZE

DeucesCracked Instructor
Silver Member
If all else fails.. slip some speed pills in his drink.

bogey54311

"cheese"
Silver Member
when i'm in a tourney, or gambling, i look at it as if i went to WAR.

it's a battle.

lose, and the money's gone, or your out of the tourney.

get yourself prepared mentally.

sometimes i like it when people try to shark me. it shows they are scared, and need some kind of big edge to beat you.

if you slow down yourself, you get out of YOUR gameplan, and you lose confidence in yourself. and what are you thinking about the whole time when your playing slow?........HIM, not yourself and the job you have at hand.

don't let it bother you.

make it work to your advantage mentally.

it works for me.

my 2 cents.

chris G

lewdo26

Registered User will do
Silver Member
The only thing I can tell you is, don't play 'em for nothing. Also, take it as a challenge to keep your focus and rythm. What I do when a player shoots slower than me in a tournament (I'm what you would call deliberate), I close my eyes until it's my time to shoot. Works for me, and it just might psych 'em out.

TheConArtist

Daddy's A Butcher
Silver Member
9BallBust-O said:
Just looking for some advice or words of wisdom.

I play with this dude from time to time that will take like 7-8 min to run from say.... 5 - 9 ball. He will look at table FOREVER then get down on stance, stroke like 15 times, then stand back up and look again, get down on shot, practice stroke like 15 more times, then change from shooting top to botom english, then practice stroke for like 15 more times and finally shoot - and this could be with ball in hand. I seriously feel myself gettin ticked inside and frustrated by the time I am ready to shoot. Then when I shoot he always out loud questions what I am doing or ask why did I make that shot, but in a " WTF are you doing" kind of way.** Even though I usually beat him.** I dont play for money with him but I am just wondering if I were in a tournament with a player like this or playing for $$ , HOW do you mentally deal with this and what do you do sitting there for like 15 min??:confused: :confused: :mad:

slow players i enjoy to play against them IF they are playing really well makes me want to slow my game down and try just as hard but IF they take forever just to miss then it bothers me other then that they kewl in my book just me though. But i know a few players at the youth center here that play really slow and people give them a hard time as in like, Come on hurry up and shoot, how slow can someone be just joking around like that makes them hurry up and also throw off their game which can be hustling i think but they are kewl with it and don't get mad.

Flex

Banger
Silver Member
TheConArtist said:
But i know a few players at the youth center here that play really slow and people give them a hard time as in like, Come on hurry up and shoot, how slow can someone be just joking around like that makes them hurry up and also throw off their game which can be hustling i think but they are kewl with it and don't get mad.

That "come on, hurry up" stuff doesn't always work.

Last time it happened to me, while I was down on the shot, this guy said it to me, obviously sharking me. What's the best way to react to that? Well, it depends. If you know you're going to pot the ball, just stroke it and make it. Especially if it's the money ball :D Then get up and ask, "Did someboday say something?" :D

On the other hand, if it's a high pressure shot, why not take advantage of the sharking to give the guy a dose of his own medicine? While down on the shot, slowly rotate your head and look him straight in the eye. And then stand up slowly, stroking in the air. And start your whole preshot routine again. Get really comfortable, go into your stance, take your time, and fire the ball into the center of the pocket. Repeat until you win. :D

Flex

TheConArtist

Daddy's A Butcher
Silver Member
Flex said:
That "come on, hurry up" stuff doesn't always work.

Last time it happened to me, while I was down on the shot, this guy said it to me, obviously sharking me. What's the best way to react to that? Well, it depends. If you know you're going to pot the ball, just stroke it and make it. Especially if it's the money ball :D Then get up and ask, "Did someboday say something?" :D

On the other hand, if it's a high pressure shot, why not take advantage of the sharking to give the guy a dose of his own medicine? While down on the shot, slowly rotate your head and look him straight in the eye. And then stand up slowly, stroking in the air. And start your whole preshot routine again. Get really comfortable, go into your stance, take your time, and fire the ball into the center of the pocket. Repeat until you win. :D

Flex

Good story Flex, i know it always doesn't work cause sometimes i am the person they say this too LOL, but for me i can block out things like this cause i always played in my own pressure matches for me and my opps. would always do something to try and distract me, for an example waving there hands, bending down in your line of the shot on the opposite side of the table etc... and my favorite even taking longer to shoot just to ignore them more LOL, an dlike i said i love to play slow players and take as long as you want if there ain't no time clock on you but drill the shots not miss'em

Last edited:

robertno1pool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Slow Play

Change your shaft a few times when it is your turn at the table. Be sure your extra shafts do not have tips on them. It takes 10 minutes for a good tip to set with Tweeten's glue. Read a news paper and ask your opponent what a good price per acre is in a nearby town. Shape each tip carefully with many comparisons with both a nickle and a dime. Trim the sides with a razor blade to ensure the tips are very flush. Ruff the new tip with a half dozen different implements that every shooter needs. Just before the last time, pick up a house cue and drill a straight in shot. Do a victory dance around the table while raising the roof. Rinse and repeat.;)

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
This worked

TheBook said:
A lot of great ideas being posted.

I think another tactic would be to stay in your chair when it is your turn as if you are completely ignoring what is going on at the table pretending to watch another table or the TV. Just keep sitting there until he lets you know that it is your turn. I would then get up and go to the restroom, get a drink, tie my shoe, wipe down my cue, burnish the shaft, dress the tip anything to stall before going to the table. I would then walk around the table a few times. Then I would start to ask a bunch of dumb questions. Start a conversation about something that is completely different than pool. Then if playing 8 ball ask if you are solids or stripes even thought it is apparent. Ask him before you shoot how he thinks you should play out the balls. I would then get down and pretend to shoot and then get up and take a drink of water. This really works well when on the last ball that is a real duck. I seen Johnny Archer do this on the 9 ball when he was on the hill. He took a timeout and left for about 20 minutes just to come back and shoot it straight in to win the match. Screw with his head.

I think it would be fun just to try and beat him at his own game and drive him up a wall.

Let us know how it turns out for you.

I walked away to another area of the room and talked to my friends, the tournament director kept an eye on the player. I only came back to the table when my oppenent told me it was my shot. It worked, I won the match easily.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
What difference to YOUR game does HIS slow play make? I mean really. When I am at the table, I choose MY rhythm for MY best advantage. What he does is what he does. So what?

I developed this particular-instance attitude when playing in my first state tourney 15 or so years ago. I beat the guy who took well over 4 minutes per shot, just by remembering when it was my turn, it was MY turn, not his. He was sitting; I was shooting. His rhythm no longer mattered.

Easier said than done---wait!---that's someone else's attitude---I'll reject that and say: It's a piece of pie...easy as cake! :D

Jeff Livingston

BillYards

Playing Style: Wu Tang Fu
Silver Member
JamisonNeu said:
I found the best way for me to deal with this cheap hustle is to turn my chair around and find something else to watch while listening to his actions very closely. Works very well but, if I have to watch (cheaters) I do it with my eyes closed and I count the clicks of the balls and the tip impacts. Slow players can't take it when you don't watch. After all they are trying to put on a production. No rule says you have to watch while your opponent shoots his part of the game. After all this is a game of solitaire. I have used this method for years it works well for me. This is one of many ways to turn the wanna be hustler's tricks back around on him. It also shows that he is not real confident so playing a few more smart safe shots might just put him over the edge. Try not to change your normal rythym it might be your downfall.
As for when he is asking you a question during your turn. I would take some balls out of the pockets and start teaching him why you are doing the things your are doing. If he is asking questions he would probably like to know some the answers to them. If not he will soon stop asking you. Hope this helps.
Jamison

Ooooo! Now that was a great post!!

Snorks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JamisonNeu said:
I found the best way for me to deal with this cheap hustle is to turn my chair around and find something else to watch while listening to his actions very closely. Works very well but, if I have to watch (cheaters) I do it with my eyes closed and I count the clicks of the balls and the tip impacts. Slow players can't take it when you don't watch. After all they are trying to put on a production. No rule says you have to watch while your opponent shoots his part of the game. After all this is a game of solitaire. I have used this method for years it works well for me. This is one of many ways to turn the wanna be hustler's tricks back around on him. It also shows that he is not real confident so playing a few more smart safe shots might just put him over the edge. Try not to change your normal rythym it might be your downfall.

Sounds like a great idea! I would also incorporate a line like ...
"When you are ready, just let me know what you are going to do before you shoot". Then I'd turn around again and talk to some people between his shots. Hopefully he will get the idea that he's playing way too slow.

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Not me ...

I get real *****y and facetious:

1) I have a dentist appointment tomorrow morning and I don't want to be late.
2) I think your 9 ball patterns need work ... lol
3) I thought everyone's brain operated at the same speed, but your living proof that they don't.
4) Your stall isn't working, you can go ahead and shoot.
5) I have tried a few times, but I CAN NOT out slow play a slow player.
I usually get up and run a table or 2 in about 30-40 seconds, look at my opponent, and say 'Now that wasn't so hard, was it?'.
6) Sometimes I just tell them I will put them on the clock if they persist
in slow playing.

If it is a money player, and they irritate the shit out of me with slow play, I refuse to play them any more money ball.

9BallBust-O

Draw that Rock
Silver Member
First off - thanks everyone for all the ideas. I posted on Friday so I didnt get to try a lot of them out because I didnt get back online till today. I will be printing out a lot of these suggestions for future use. SO many great ideas for every situation. BUT I will tell you some of the story that happened this past Saturday evening. It started out so slow, who would of thought, do I decided to give it right back, picking at the cloth, walking around the table like 5 times. lock and load - lock and re load. PLUS I brought my smart mouth with me and that usually can rattle some nerves. I purposely left him long crappy shots just to get his frustration going- even if I could make a ball I would go safe, a few 3 fouls when I could of ran. He then chimes in with a scarastic voice and tells me that IF I WORKED ON MY PATTERN PLAY I HAVE THE POTENTIAL TO BE AN OK PLAYER. I said: OK THEN why dont you just break and tell me your pattern play before you make your first shot. **With a good Earl Strickland face I said :You tell me your patterns and Ill SHOW you mine. He breaks and stands about 4 feet back away from the table and kind of pointing says : well Im gonna take the one, the shoot the 2 and come around for the 3, then 6 , 7 , 8 boom boom boom.....I said , son thats NO PATTERN you dont have to play shape on any of that you could leave yourself ANYWHERE on the table and run the first 3, since the 1 and 2 were hanging in the pockets, and boom boom boom dont tell me JACK. So all night I just kept asking him about patterns. Everytime I shot I said an out loud plan and said what whitey was up to. By the end of the night I can tell you this, I dont think I will have to worry about playing him again. You know I dont usually have a bad attitude when playing but I just didnt like his tone of voice and really think all this was about was trying to shark me. After thinking about it, I think he was playing dumb and trying to just keep me in the chair for some reason but hes not stupid, just slow.

Last edited:
U

Ummagumma

9BallBust-O said:
Just looking for some advice or words of wisdom.

I play with this dude from time to time that will take like 7-8 min to run from say.... 5 - 9 ball. He will look at table FOREVER then get down on stance, stroke like 15 times, then stand back up and look again, get down on shot, practice stroke like 15 more times, then change from shooting top to botom english, then practice stroke for like 15 more times and finally shoot - and this could be with ball in hand. I seriously feel myself gettin ticked inside and frustrated by the time I am ready to shoot. Then when I shoot he always out loud questions what I am doing or ask why did I make that shot, but in a " WTF are you doing" kind of way.** Even though I usually beat him.** I dont play for money with him but I am just wondering if I were in a tournament with a player like this or playing for $$ , HOW do you mentally deal with this and what do you do sitting there for like 15 min??:confused: :confused: :mad:

I've never dealt with that, but I imagine if this happened to me, I would get out my paperback book and start reading while he's taking his time shooting. That way, 1) I don't get the waiting get to me and possibly screw up my mental game, and 2) I get closer to finishing my book.

mscue

Registered
If you're playing for fun or practice, I'd bring a newspaper. When he's at the table, make it very obvious that you're reading the paper and not watching him. If he says anything to you about disturbing him, look at him stupidly and apologize for interrupting his concetration and go back to reading the paper. When it's your turn to shoot, take your time getting to the table. Whatever you do, do not let his slow play affect your game.

Now if you're playing in a tourney and you have to play him, before the match, go to the TD and let him know you want a shot clock for the table. That means you're both on the clock. Let your opponent know that your both on the clock. If he objects, then he needs to take it up with the TD.