Help finding a pool video on YouTube

SeaBrisket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anybody have a link to a match where Mike Massey shot trick shots before commercial breaks? He doesn't play in the match, he just does trick shot interludes

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anybody have a link to a match where Mike Massey shot trick shots before commercial breaks? He doesn't play in the match, he just does trick shot interludes
He did trick shots on more than a dozen recorded matches during the 1980s and '90s (and a few years beyond that).
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Uploaders to YT channels frequently edit-out those trickshot minutes owing to a judgment that those minutes are irrelevant to the competitive action. They were however of some marginal interest to general, non-pool-playing TV audiences who tuned into the original broadcasts. And the referenced commercials are of course, usually edited out as well.

On a humorous note, I was in the NYC audience for the final (title) match of the 1992 US Open 14.1 Sigel vs West. Massey warmed up the audience with about 10 minutes of his trick shot magic immediately prior to the play. As usual, some of the trickery included his skill at finger-throwing the balls, creating bizarre and amusing spin effects achieved by heavily chalking his fingers.

When Massey's session concluded, the ref gave the table a cursory brushing then gathered the subway-ed balls resting in the lower tray. He then immediately racked them all for the tournament-deciding match.

Mike Sigel and Dallas West were about to be introduced by the tournament director and then lag to begin the match. I ran down from my third row seat in the audience, and over to the Accu-Stats recording booth where they already had the tapes cued up and set to roll. Pat Fleming was startled when I hurriedly pointed out that the ref neglected to clean those unimaginably dirty, totally chalk-covered balls. He instructed the ref to scrupulously clean them all before play could begin. I still hate to think of the twists and skids that would have occurred in this title match had play begun -- with those balls unnoticed.

To your question -- Massey almost certainly has a complete list of the various matches he colorfully performed at during those intermissions.

Here's his website:

https://www.mikemasseyartist.com/about

and here's his email address to ask him about relevant 9-ball and other matches:

miketrickshot@gmail.com

Arnaldo

SeaBrisket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He did trick shots on more than a dozen recorded matches during the 1980s and '90s (and a few years beyond that).

Thank you! I wish I could remember which match it was. There was one particular shot I wanted to practice that was not so much a trick shot but I can't even remember the shot now to describe it. I tried to find the video months ago but couldn't come up with it again.

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
look up old matches, mizerak, hall, archer, Strickland, sigel, im guessing that would be your best luck

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nope. Your optimal course would be to ask Massey himself. When you mention in your email that you can remember neither the shot nor the video, assure him that it did exist on YT where you first saw it. Mike will already know about the few YT ones showing him doing trick shots before commercials on both ESPN and the now-defunct Prime Network. As I recall there's only a half-dozen or less on YT showing him doing that during televised quarter- or semi-finals, or the finals themselves. He's always been an extraordinarily friendly guy; he'll very likely reply with an emailed list of those scant few.

Most likely he's relatively house-bound like all of us, so, he'll almost certainly have a few minutes to compose an email referencing the relevant videos, and you in turn will likely have the time to leisurely check them by skipping thru each of them.

Arnaldo ~ That's how I'd go about finding them.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... On a humorous note, ...
I still hate to think of the twists and skids that would have occurred in this title match had play begun -- with those balls unnoticed. ...
You and I have different senses of humor. I think it would have been amusing to start the match with the balls as they were.:thumbup:

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you already watched the match on youtube just click your history and that will show everything you watched on there.

Click three bars top left corner & then click history then keep scrolling through the videos you previously watched until you find it. :)

Capture.PNG

SeaBrisket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you already watched the match on youtube just click your history and that will show everything you watched on there.

Great suggestion! I've sure watched a lot of crap, no wonder I can't remember anything. I didn't locate it in my history but I watch a lot of matches on my wife's computer so I'll have to dig through a million or so gardening and cross stitch videos to see if I can find it there.

Edit: Found it on my wife's computer. Parica vs Hall '92 US Open. Thank you terryhanna!

https://youtu.be/6SfnfsLN4iA

Last edited: