Help returning to my natural stroke.

corpse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got a tip when I started playing to copy good players. The problem is I've copied so many good players that I can no longer just play the game. I don't remember my own natural stroke. Sometimes I Pause like a snooker player or loosey goosey like Busty. This happens in the middle of matches. If I struggle I will change. Thanks for any thoughts.

Gorramjayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, if you are bent digging back up your non-thinking 'natural' stroke, practice speed pool with a house cue. It works better playing with a rack of 10 balls, shooting the 10 ball last, not a full 15-ball rack since you'll likely have to pause too long between shots to figure out any problems that pop up. Slam a beer between racks.

Of course, if you've developed any stroke habits that are actually useful, you may want to stick with them. Work with an instructor or even just knowledgeable pool buddy to watch you and draw your attention to when you're switching things on the fly so you can stay consistent as you practice. Consciously lock yourself into the stroke that works for you and towards the end of a practice session, start playing faster and faster to force yourself to get into form as quickly as possible on each shot to ingrain it into your muscle memory, then it shouldn't be switching on you in the middle of a match.

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
I got a tip when I started playing to copy good players. The problem is I've copied so many good players that I can no longer just play the game. I don't remember my own natural stroke. Sometimes I Pause like a snooker player or loosey goosey like Busty. This happens in the middle of matches. If I struggle I will change. Thanks for any thoughts.

Please visit with Scott Lee or Randy Goettlicher.
We can help.

randyg

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Basically, copying good players was good advice, however, you have to pick someone you can identify with.

You can start finding your own game by asking yourself what things you like and what things you don't like so much. Do you like the long pause or are you more of a rhythm player? That's one question you can ask yourself.

I love Allison Fisher's game but I can't play like her. I identify more with Earl's game. When I feel like I'm playing like Earl, it feels right to me. When you have that feeling like it feels right, then you're on the right track of finding your style.

Scott Lee

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Corpse...You've been wanting to meet up with me for a couple of years now. Seems like now is the right time. Contact me, and let's schedule a lesson! I can get you back on track. :grin:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com