Help with a cue problem

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've owned many McDermotts and I just got a new McDermott butt over the weekend. When I roll it by itself it rolls perfectly straight but when I put any of the shafts on it it has a nice little bow when rolling it. The i3 doesn't bow much and an older maple shaft doesn't show much light at all but the g core has a really nice bow. Upon further inspection all my other cues the first thread is almost down in the butt and this one is above the butt. Is this an easy fix for a cue repairman and how much does it normally cost?

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the butt rolls perfectly flat by itself, Im thinking its either the pin (possibly bent), the face of the joint (butt or shaft), or the shafts themselves. And to note, it could be a little of each, that adds up to a noticeable roll.
If it just requires being put on a lathe and faced, its a cheap fix. Bent pin, usually in the 50 range.
Hope this helps

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Chuck, can't give rep because it says I need to spread it around.

The one I got is an older McDermott and I'm not sure if they did their pins a bit different compared to now. I've come to the conclusion that the extra thread that is further out then on my other cues is the problem. I have a 2 inch and 4 inch extension and when I throw those on the cue is perfectly straight. I'm going to have it fixed and glad to hear it won't cost a ton.