help with wall thickness of old schon micarta ferrules

JTs cuerepair

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have an 93 schon cue with two mint 13.10 MM shafts. They don't have the old yellow westinghouse micarta ferrules. But I do have some old westinghouse yellow micarta that I bought from pdcues on this form. I would like to put the micarta ferules on my schon. I'm trying to recreate that sweet hit that the old r-series schons have. Does anyone know what the wall thickness of the ferrules that schon used way back then and the Diameter of the shaft dowl, I know that they were not capped and no threads back then. I just need to know the thickness the walls of the ferrules were on the old schons with yellow micarta and the diameter of the dowl.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
 
Last edited:
I have an 93 schon cue with two mint 13.10 MM shafts. They don't have the old yellow westinghouse micarta ferrules. But I do have some old westinghouse yellow micarta that I bought from pdcues on this form. I would like to put the micarta ferules on my schon. I'm trying to recreate that sweet hit that the old r-series schons have. Does anyone know what the wall thickness of the ferrules that schon used way back then and the Diameter of the shaft dowl, I know that they were not capped and no threads back then. I just need to know the thickness the walls of the ferrules were on the old schons with yellow micarta and the diameter of the dowl.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you take the diameter of the shaft which is probably .513 and subtract from it the diameter of the tenon which is probably .315 which leaves .198. Divide that by 2 and you get .099. Or you can simply remove the ferrule, glue on the new ferrule and cut it to the diameter of the shaft.

Good Luck,
 
Last edited:
If you take the diameter of the shaft which is probably .513 and subtract from it the diameter of the tenon which is probably .315 which leaves .198. Divide that by 2 and you get .99. Or you can simply remove the ferrule, glue on the new ferrule and cut it to the diameter of the shaft.

Good Luck,

That sounds great, I guess what I should of asked was does anyone know what the tenon size is on schon's older R-series cues. Thanks very much for your help.
 
If you take the diameter of the shaft which is probably .513 and subtract from it the diameter of the tenon which is probably .315 which leaves .198. Divide that by 2 and you get .99. Or you can simply remove the ferrule, glue on the new ferrule and cut it to the diameter of the shaft.

Good Luck,

Ummm . . . Er . . . . you might get .099, .99 is kinda large;)

Gary
 
I have an 93 schon cue with two mint 13.10 MM shafts. They don't have the old yellow westinghouse micarta ferrules. But I do have some old westinghouse yellow micarta that I bought from pdcues on this form. I would like to put the micarta ferules on my schon. I'm trying to recreate that sweet hit that the old r-series schons have. Does anyone know what the wall thickness of the ferrules that schon used way back then and the Diameter of the shaft dowl, I know that they were not capped and no threads back then. I just need to know the thickness the walls of the ferrules were on the old schons with yellow micarta and the diameter of the dowl.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I guess I'm a little confused. You have the shaft and you have the micarta, so you're not working blind. And you've determined you want to change out the ferrule.

So can you not simply:
A) turn down the old ferrule carefully until you get to bare wood and then measure?
or
B) spin the shaft and hold the ferrule with a piece of leather? The heat from friction should soften the glue and the ferrule should come on off.

My 2 cents,

Gary
 
I don't believe there was a magical formula regarding wall thickness for these ferrules. Each cuesmith probably made the "real micarta" ferrules to his own specifications/preferences. You should either make the ferrule to match the tenon of your cue, or decide what specs you want the ferrule to be and then either modify your Schon tenon or install a new tenon to match the ferrule.

Kelly
 
I don't believe there was a magical formula regarding wall thickness for these ferrules. Each cuesmith probably made the "real micarta" ferrules to his own specifications/preferences. You should either make the ferrule to match the tenon of your cue, or decide what specs you want the ferrule to be and then either modify your Schon tenon or install a new tenon to match the ferrule.

Kelly

I understand what you are saying and your 100% correct, I'm not sure if the spec's of the shaft tenons I have is exactly the same as the ones schon used long ago when they had micarta ferrules from schon, That is why I asked does anyone know what schon spec's on there tenons back then was, Do you think it would be the same as there shafts now, maybe they have changed a little over the years. I do understand the wall of the ferrules would be different depending in the size of the tenon, That's why I want to be sure I make the tenon the same spec as what schon used way back in the day that thay sold cues with micarta.
 
This is news to me. I thought Schon always had 5/16-18 threaded solid capped ferrules.
 
I have an 93 schon cue with two mint 13.10 MM shafts. They don't have the old yellow westinghouse micarta ferrules. But I do have some old westinghouse yellow micarta that I bought from pdcues on this form. I would like to put the micarta ferules on my schon. I'm trying to recreate that sweet hit that the old r-series schons have. Does anyone know what the wall thickness of the ferrules that schon used way back then and the Diameter of the shaft dowl, I know that they were not capped and no threads back then. I just need to know the thickness the walls of the ferrules were on the old schons with yellow micarta and the diameter of the dowl.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a number of Original R-Series Schon Ferrules that are made from Westinghouse Macarta, these came out Schon stock from that time period already threaded, and the ones I have are threaded 5/16-18, I have never changed a ferrule on a Schon cue from that time frame so I assume this was standard.

1.jpg

2.jpg


Take Care
 
I have a number of Original R-Series Schon Ferrules that are made from Westinghouse Macarta, these came out Schon stock from that time period already threaded, and the ones I have are threaded 5/16-18, I have never changed a ferrule on a Schon cue from that time frame so I assume this was standard.

View attachment 175227

View attachment 175228


Take Care

Thanks for your help in this matter. Maybe what I have is not correct. Would you be interested in selling me two or four of the ones you have. I would really be thank full if you could.. Thank you very much Sir. Sincerely Jack
 
Back
Top