High Run Definition In Billiard Buddy

Rich93

A Small Time Charlie
Silver Member
I've pointed out what I think is a minor problem in the otherwise excellent Billiard Buddy scoring app and discussed it with the programmer. I post the issue here to make sure I'm right before the programmer goes to any trouble to change it.

Let's say I run 3 racks after the opening safety. I've just scored 42 points and am looking at a break shot. I shoot the break shot and scratch. What is my run? Is it 42 or 41? The 41 is the total for the inning because a point is deducted for the scratch. Billiard Buddy calls this a run of 41, and it becomes my high run for the game if I don't do better later.

I say the run should be recorded as 42, not 41. In programming terms I'm telling the programmer that if an inning ends in a foul the run arising from that inning should be the inning score plus 1.

What say you?

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
If Billiard Buddy has a "high run" mode, then it should probably record 42. If it's just recording things as if you were playing a game, then I personally think it's correct. You would only score 41 on the wire so why should you get credit for that ball?

There's a simple workaround, of course... don't tell it that you fouled!

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have noticed the same thing. I don't really worry about it. I just consider the high run. I would not subtract the scratch if I was keeping a record of my high runs.

TSW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think they are both right.

I would not change the app. Billiards Buddy is designed to score your game of straight pool. For that game, your highest total points in an inning is 41. So Billiards Buddy is recording that correctly.

If I were separately discussing my lifetime high run, I would say "42," perhaps with an asterisk to note the scratch. Everyone's personal high runs have asterisks, depending on the difficulty of the table, practice vs match, opponent or not, high run challenge format, etc.

My current lifetime high run was in practice with no opponent. My second-highest run was in a friendly match - I ran out the set and my opponent let me keep shooting. I count them both but I acknowledge the situation in either case.

mnhighrunlist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would say your current high run would be 42 (they were all legally pocketed) and your game score would be 41.

-Dennis

Rich93

A Small Time Charlie
Silver Member
Just to clarify, this issue is only in regard to what Billiard Buddy is calling the game's high run. It's not a scoring issue. The app does that correctly - in my example you only get 41 for the inning.

In our leagues we have a number of players who keep score using the Buddy. Its game summary shows the high run (and other stats), and most everybody looks at the high run because it's a highlight of the game. It's only a question of getting the high run statistic right.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
To me, your point is valid, Rich. If player A ran 41 then missed, and player B ran 42 then scratched, the "Buddy" would, apparently, credit both of them with runs of 41. But if there is any kind of high run prize or recognition (or personal record keeping), player B should be the winner with a true run of 42.

elvicash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is how many you ran 42. You scored 41. I say the app is correct. At the high run contests if you miss or fail the run is still what you had up to that you ran 42 then you scratched however if you fouled when making the 42nd ball you only get 41 and I believe that is how the app scores it.

Either way the billiarde buddy is a pretty good app.

Rich93

A Small Time Charlie
Silver Member
That is how many you ran 42. You scored 41. I say the app is correct. At the high run contests if you miss or fail the run is still what you had up to that you ran 42 then you scratched however if you fouled when making the 42nd ball you only get 41 and I believe that is how the app scores it.

Either way the billiarde buddy is a pretty good app.

Dana, you seem to be agreeing that the high run should enter history as 42 since that's how many you had run before the shot on which you fouled (the 43rd shot).

I agree that Billiard Buddy is an outstanding app.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
I would say your current high run would be 42 (they were all legally pocketed) and your game score would be 41.

-Dennis

I agree with Dennis. I don't think there should be any dispute. Hopefully, Tim can get the app to distinguish a high run from a high inning.