Hitting the cueball where you think you are hitting it.

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Champ, two wrongs do not make a right. Especially around here. You are hijacking threads and it needs to stop.

Mike

champ2107

Banned
Champ, two wrongs do not make a right. Especially around here. You are hijacking threads and it needs to stop.

Mike

hijacking threads? so what am i supposed to do when this guy keeps on randomly popping up and flames me, he has done it multiple times already. I guess i have no choice but to go crying to the moderators about it next time :frown:

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
That would be better than giving "it back triple!".

As I have said in the past, I don't read every thread. But when a thread is brought to my attention where a user is hijacking threads, I have no choice by to deal with it.

Mike

hijacking threads? so what am i supposed to do when this guy keeps on randomly popping up and flames me, he has done it multiple times already. I guess i have no choice but to go crying to the moderators about it next time :frown:

champ2107

Banned
i understand what your saying and its not my personality to let other people take care of my issues, i guess i will just ignore him as best as possible.

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
Celtic, I'm not sure if you are saying that you should know and don't, or if you are saying that you don't know, and it doesn't matter. ??

I asked mainly because I am not sure it matters. I think knowing where you are hitting the cueball is less important then hitting the cueball in the place that imparts the desired cueball action while also making the pot. Whether you "know" the precise place is moot and I think alot of pros if you asked them where they hit the cueball to make a specific shot would actually need to conciously think about the shot and how they "naturally" shoot it and reverse engineer the answer.

KNOWING that the cb will come off a rail at a certain angle is HUGE in the game. After that, it is just speed. Amateurs go to a quadrant on the cb, shortstops go to a tip on the cb, pros go to much less than that.

I agree knowing the cueball action after contact is a huge part of the game, in fact it is the single biggest part of the game IMO. I question though whether the pros are conciously aiming at a point on the cuebal with a concious thought of the weight, or if the actual tip contact point and the weight are subconcious factors in the concious thought process focused on producing a specific cueball path. Are the pros A) Aiming for 1/4 tip left and 1/2 tip low with 11mph cueball speed as their main focus or are the pros B) Aiming to get the cueball to take a desired cueball path after contact with a specific spin and speed?

In one situation the pro is actively playing a shot where the resulting motion of the cueball is the main focus, in the other situation the pro is playing a shot with the factos of the shot as the main focus.

If I have a shot that I need to move the cb forward or backward a few inches... I know exactly what I need to do to get a stop shot through hours of practice with stop shots. Now, all I have to do is raise or lower my tip just a little to change a stop shot into a little follow or draw.

Unless you hit the shot with less weight. Your draw shot coming back 3 inches if the object ball is 3 feet away needs to also be shot with a specific weight so that the backspin remains on the cueball in the proper amount at the moment of contact with the object ball. The harder you hit the shot the less tip you need to get the backspin. You can make the shot with 1 tip of bottom with a certain speed stroke, or you can hit it harder and get the same resultant leave with less then that tip of bottom. And the billion and one small variations of stroke power and tip placement in between.

The question is, when SVB, Bustamante, Efren, Earl, or most of the other elite players play a 4 foot long straight in draw where they want to draw the cueball back 4 inches where is their focus? Is it directly on weight and tip placement, or is it primarily on resultant action of the cueball? I am going to guess it is the latter.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I agree knowing the cueball action after contact is a huge part of the game, in fact it is the single biggest part of the game IMO.
So do I.

I question though whether the pros are conciously aiming at a point on the cuebal with a concious thought of the weight, or if the actual tip contact point and the weight are subconcious factors in the concious thought process focused on producing a specific cueball path. Are the pros A) Aiming for 1/4 tip left and 1/2 tip low with 11mph cueball speed as their main focus or are the pros B) Aiming to get the cueball to take a desired cueball path after contact with a specific spin and speed?
I think they do both, but without labels. In other words, I don't think they think of the actual measurements (1/2 tip, 11 mph, etc.), but I think they visualize the hit as accurately as if they did (hit exactly here with exactly this much speed).

I think being precise in where and how hard to hit the CB is the most underrated part of pool in terms of importance.

pj
chgo