Hold the cue with first three or last three fingers?

X Breaker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a question: do you hold your cue with your first few fingers, or your last few.
I know most books advocate holding it with your first three fingers, but I have noticed, on the final follow through of a lot of players, that they seem to be holding their butts with the last few fingers.
Please refer to the picture below (courtesy of JR Calvert), it looks to me that Reyes was not applying much pressure with his first few fingers on his cue, if any, and was merely holding on the cue with his last finger or last two fingers.
What do you think?
Richard

Attachments

• pool_billiards-derby-city-classic-VO7O5936.jpg
    pool_billiards-derby-city-classic-VO7O5936.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 464
Last edited:

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Well, I know

that my post may cause a lot of controversy, but I read 3 good Pool books back, yes way back, when I was learning when I was 14. Form, stance, and mechanics of stroke were emphasized in those books, moreso than it seems to be today. (around 1962).

At that time, it stated that the cue should be gripped the same way as if you walked up to someone and grabbed their upper arm with 2 fingers and a thumb. Yes, I know, it is a strange illustration, that's one of the reasons I still remember it. But, the truth is, it is the best way to grip the cue, with your hand being straight with your wrist and forearm when in position.

This grip allows for a straight and true stroke, and allows your wrist to break at the end of a stroke maintaining the true line of the stroke.

When using the last 3 fingers, the cue still hits the lower left part of your hand (if gripping with right hand) at the end of the stroke which can cause your stroke to vary to the side thereby producing unplanned results.

I happen to have my Grandpa's thumbs and hands, which are wide palms with my thumbs set to the side more than most, low on my hands, and both are double jointed all my life. I actually use the inside edge of my thumb when gripping the cue.

Anyone that uses a full fist on the grip always has to make compensations for doing so (security blanket for them). They break their wrist some (non straight line from hand to forearm) and they don't have proper follow through (have to end the stroke short of where it should go) because the bottom of their hand presses against the cue at the end of their stroke.
Many times, this type of grip will produce the tip going up to the left at the end of the stroke, and is the reason they will miss long fairly straight in shots, especially with the cue ball on an end rail.

scottycoyote

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A childhood accident as a kid left my right index finger unbendable, and ive really tried everything in the book in regards to my grip hand. While my whole hand rests on my cue, i try to concentrate on just using my middle and ring fingers primarily. I read a golf book that describes the golf grip, and in it ben hogan says let your right index finger hang loose, if you grip with your index finger and thumb tightly, it activates muscles on the outside of the arm and tightens everything up causing a tight swing. Ive found this to be true somewhat with my pool grip. For some reason when i do use my index finger, my stroke isnt as nice......maybe its just me. I definitely leave my pinky hanging, if i grip with it it causes me to steer the cue to the right on my follow thru.

bigskyjake

you heard the man
Silver Member
Snapshot9 said:
Anyone that uses a full fist on the grip always has to make compensations for doing so (security blanket for them). They break their wrist some (non straight line from hand to forearm) and they don't have proper follow through (have to end the stroke short of where it should go) because the bottom of their hand presses against the cue at the end of their stroke.
Many times, this type of grip will produce the tip going up to the left at the end of the stroke, and is the reason they will miss long fairly straight in shots, especially with the cue ball on an end rail.

riiiiiiiiight:rolleyes:

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
During most of my stroke, all four of my fingers (and also my thumb) are touching the cue, but toward the end of my stroke (after the CB is already gone), my back fingers lose contact with the cue and it's pretty much just my index finger and thumb at the very finish. This is because of the way my hand is tilted when my lower arm is point forward at the finish (my wrist is still straight in line with my lower arm).

Some people grip with fewer fingers, and I don't think that's a bad thing, but everyone's grip should allow them to go all the way through the stroke without having to make any movements for the purpose of accommodating their grip. Usually if your grip is loose enough, it will adjust itself as mine does on the way through the stroke so you don't have to make any unnatural wrist motions.

-Andrew

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The forefinger of my stroking hand just barely touches, the result of a lesson from Jim Rempe, years ago. It's rare that that finger closes on the butt. On a blast break, yes, or maybe a shot requiring a lot of force.

the9ballroller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To compare with baseball pitching, the fewer the fingers, the faster the stroke or pitch. I prefer to just use the first two and thumb. When in stroke, the back two fingers never touch the cue.

scottycoyote

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
does anybody else use different grips for different shots? I found if i want alot of action, if i primarily just use my first 3 fingers, but really its basically my middle finger wrapped around the butt, i can get awesome action, but its not as accurate. If i have a long straight in shot on the rail, if i put all my fingers around the cue fairly tight (leave pinky off), very accurate but no action. Then my normal grip is in the middle

JonoNZ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Efren's Photo

Efren usually uses his front fingers to my knowledge. In the photo I am pretty sure that is a follow through from reaching across the table.

This is where everyone corrects me... :p

acedotcom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently changed my hold on the cue so that emphasis is placed on the first three fingers, primarily the index finger. It has resulted in crisper hits, better action on the cb, and better cb control.

Brian in VA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For the last 6 months I've made a concerted effort to hold the cue with only my thumb and forefinger. While my other fingers are curled around the butt, they aren't touching it except by the time I get to finish position. I've also experimented with holding the cue with the tip of my thumb and forefinger although it just doesn't quite feel comfortable. I do find it useful on a very slow, touch shot. Just my 2 cents!

Brian in VA

Mike_Mason

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's another option...

Nicky Vlahos had imo the closest thing to a perfect form as could be found. Nicky had a million different strokes but they all began with what seemed like perfect form.

One day he called my attention to his back (right) hand. He of course had a perfect pendulum ready to glide back and forth from his perfectly placed elbow. He was resting the grip of his cue...a classic Joss...on his middle and ring fingers.

Nicky said that the extension of the nerves and muscles of the arm made a natural end at those fingers. He said that you had to bend your wrist to use other fingers.

What he did with the cue after that initial pose might be something else...but that's how he set it all up.

As with most everything else Nicky taught me it makes a good deal of sense...and just feels right.

Try it. But make sure you have a perfect upper and lower arm.

VIProfessor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike_Mason said:
Nicky Vlahos had imo the closest thing to a perfect form as could be found. Nicky had a million different strokes but they all began with what seemed like perfect form.

One day he called my attention to his back (right) hand. He of course had a perfect pendulum ready to glide back and forth from his perfectly placed elbow. He was resting the grip of his cue...a classic Joss...on his middle and ring fingers.

Nicky said that the extension of the nerves and muscles of the arm made a natural end at those fingers. He said that you had to bend your wrist to use other fingers.

What he did with the cue after that initial pose might be something else...but that's how he set it all up.

As with most everything else Nicky taught me it makes a good deal of sense...and just feels right.

Try it. But make sure you have a perfect upper and lower arm.

Exactly! As an earlier poster noted, check out Jim Rempe for a classic example of this.

chilli66

the chilli is back!
Silver Member
I hate to take this off-topic but this thread reminded me of an old joke.

2 young boys are in the bathroom at school.

1st kid "My big brother holds his with 4 fingers!"

2nd kid "Well, so do you."

1st kid "Yeah, but I'm peeing on 3 of them!"

Sorry, had to do it. Back on-topic, I tend to cradle mine (cue that is) with my 3rd & 4th fingers but only grip with the first two. I used to be a choker & grip the cue with them all, took a long time to get out of that habit but the results were worth it.