Holding Your Breath While Shooting

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
I can tell you how to hustle someone. Wait until just before a critical shot and ask them when they breathe during the shot.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Holding your breath doesn't work for me. I've tried that and learned to stop doing it.

When I shoot for a score with a long gun, I do breath hold and slow release as trigger pull occurs.
The exhale eases and relaxes my muscle hold on target & squeezing the trigger is a second thought.
It just happens and I am not anticipating it like I was pulling on the trigger instead of a slow squeeze.

When I shoot pool, I probably do hold my breath when analyzing a tough shot or just out of a sense
of feeling a little nervous but when I assume my shooting stance, controlled breathing is really essential
for me. It helps relax me, steadies my nerves, allows me to get back to a sensory state of mind where
the routine is just second nature for me......when I don't this, it actually throws my game of because I
don't have any cadence to my routine.......holding my breath throws me off and I feel like my muscles
and tendons tighten a little. I do not feel as relaxed and I feel like I am forcing the shot to happen.

Anyway, my feeble explanation might not make a lot of sense upon reading but it's a body sensation I
am referring to. Holding my breath throws off my pendulum, my shooting stance & even my pool stroke.

Matt B.

Last edited:

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Exhale and yell like the female tennis pros. :grin:

🎱

This method works best for me. Its a great way to exert extra power, in fact power lifters are taught exactly this. I have had a few people on other tables that I apparently mildly surprised on my break shot, I put all of effort in the break that I can. I even had some competitors complain to the TD about my "behavior" but I remedy this by simply reminding them I was not one to complain when an opponent left a booger behind on the cloth after his break shot. He claimed it was not his snot but it was not there before he broke and he was the only one at the table during the break shot. :eek::eek::eek: