Honolulu Question

Hoogaar

Registered
Just learned about this game today, and I can’t wait to play it. I do have a question. The rules state:

“One additional dictum is that kick shots cannot be made by "short-rail kicks." This means that for a legal kick shot, the cue ball must be first kicked off a cushion unconnected with the target pocket.[2]

Says connected rails. So does that mean I could masse or spin the CB into the rail on one side of the side pocket and have it run down to the other side of the side pocket and sink the ball legally? I assume so, but just want clarification.

Thanks in advance

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't think that's going to work. If a ball is 1mm off the long rail and you hit the rail with a normal shot but from short-side position, the shot will not be allowed. I think the masse clause is not pertinent.

Minnesota Phat

Just learned about this game today, and I can’t wait to play it. I do have a question. The rules state:

“One additional dictum is that kick shots cannot be made by "short-rail kicks." This means that for a legal kick shot, the cue ball must be first kicked off a cushion unconnected with the target pocket.[2]

Says connected rails. So does that mean I could masse or spin the CB into the rail on one side of the side pocket and have it run down to the other side of the side pocket and sink the ball legally? I assume so, but just want clarification.

Thanks in advance
If you like Honolulu Rules, you might be interested in a game I invented.

I've adjusted the Honolulu rules a bit to create a game I call "Honolulu 8-Ball," which can be played on coin-op tables, and rewards creative, crowd-pleasing shot-making.

Rules:

1) No straight-in shots. No short-rail kicks or short-rail banks. Kicks, kisses, caroms, banks, and combos are all legal shots.

2) Any ball can be hit first, even the eight ball. If any ball is hit, it is a legal shot (don't need to hit a rail).

3) A straight-in shot is illegal, unless another ball is also pocketed on the same shot (any other pocketed ball counts, including an opponents' ball, but not the eight ball, unless the player also pockets the last ball(s) in his or her group on that same shot (see Rule 8)).

3A) For a straight-in shot, the penalty is ball-in-hand twice. Opposing player gets ball in hand and shoots until he wins or misses. Upon a miss, opposing player gets ball-in-hand again.

3B) Shooting the eight ball straight in is loss of game, unless any other ball is pocketed on the same shot, in which case the shooting player wins.

3C) Optional rule: If the shooting player directly pockets his or her last ball, it is ball in hand four times. If shooting player directly pockets his or her second-to-last ball, it is ball in hand three times. This rule must be agreed upon before the game begins, or it does not apply.

4) Don't need to call pockets - player continues shooting if a ball from his or her group is legally pocketed. Players turn ends if no ball from his or her group is legally pocketed.

5) Masses on obstructed balls are legal - first confirm with the opponent that the ball is obstructed (if it were a pro tournament, the ref would decide). This rule does not apply to money games, unless the players agree to have a third party act as a referee (because it's too much of an invitation to argue).

6) Jump shots on obstructed balls are legal (same limitations apply as for masse shots).

7) Players can agree before the game to departures from these rules. For Rule 6 and Rule 7, when no agreed-upon referee is present, either player can veto one or both of these rules.

8) A player may pocket his or her last ball(s) and the eight ball on the same shot - this is a win, no matter which ball is pocketed first.

9) Scoop shots are always illegal, whether intentional or not.

10) Rules are otherwise the same as BCA/WPA Eight-Ball rules (The table is open after the break. Scratching on the eight ball is not loss of game, unless the eight ball is pocketed or knocked off the table (I can't remember if this is the WPA rule, but it is the rule for Honolulu 8-Ball)).

Rule 2 may seem funny, but I don't think it helps with safeties all that much, since combo and carom shots tend to be the easiest. It does, however, provide some possibility for safety play, which is otherwise very difficult under these rules.

It should go without saying that when a skilled player plays a less-skilled player, it is poor sportsmanship to take advantage of the masse and jump rules. Winning is losing when what you're doing just makes your opponent not want to play anymore.

What do you think? Would you play this game? Any suggestions for tweaking these rules?

Cheers!