Hoo boy

d_day

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I walk into the local pool room to shoot for a while. There's a guy in there covering one of the tables. Having worked a significant amount of time as a mechanic, and having covered every table in this place at least twice, I couldn't help but watch him work. It was a Gandy big G. The table was already disassembled. The first thing I noticed is he was using way too much cloth to cover the rails. He could have covered 9 rails with the cloth he used to cover 6. I watched him drive a featherstrip in and then trim the cloth. he didn't trim the cloth at the end of the featherstrip near the corner, so when he stretched and stapled it, there ended up being a huge lump where the untrimmed cloth was pushing out the pocket facing. Next he stripped off the bed cloth and cleaned the slate with a damp towel. He never put a straight edge on the table to check the seams, or to see if the table was flat. He laid out the bed cloth and centered it. Yep, he skipped sweeping the slate with the cloth and went straight to putting it on. He also failed to fill the seams. The cloth was again too large. He could have got two more rail cloths off the side. So he starts to staple the cloth down on one end. He started in the center and went all the way to one side of the table without stretching the cloth. Then he staples the other half the same way. He went to the other end and stretched the cloth long ways over the table, but not side to side. Then he tacked down the cloth on each side. He did stretch it, but he didn't give himself any extra cloth around the pockets. Then he glues down the cloth around the pockets, and didn't bother to staple the cloth down, even underneath. Then he cut the bolt holes for the rails and laid them out. He put the bolts in finger tight and then added the castings. He got out his wrench and tightened every rail bolt, without ever checking to see if the rails were lined up properly. Then he tightened the casting bolts and put the blinds on. Then he put in basket style plastic drop pockets without trimming them to the proper size. Oh, and he fastened them in with drywall screws that he failed to get in all the way. The last thing he did was eyeball where the spot should be, and then he drew it on with a sharpie.

How do hacks like this get work? Surely no one's dumb enough to fall for the cheap price bit?

akpooltable

Registered
Hopefully he wasn't as bad as this guy
He amazes me every single time(I've gone few times after him to correct his work) with some new "invention".

ee70a4a54486552b0351ba2de597eb0c.jpg

7161be9a8743a5a81c0566d53ce36f3c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Just because someone owns a pool table, that done mean the play pool, or even care about the game. What it does mean however, is that when they're willing to hire someone at the lowest price possible to work on their pool table(s) my about e statement is true on both accounts because the pool table to them is nothing more than a fixture, and if it wasn't for having kids, or customers that want to shoot a ball into a hole once in a while....they wouldn't even have a table (s).

d_day

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To be fair, the owner of the room has never cared about pool players. He's only ever been interested in selling liquor.

And akpooltable, that's, uh, scary looking.