Hot weather cue care

Balls

Big Brass Balls
Silver Member
I'm located in Michigan where we will get a few hot days this year but nothing like other places. I carry a set or two of balls along with my cues and I'm always concerned about the cold messing things up. We did hit -36 this year.

I really have no idea about the effects of heat on balls and cues and I was wondering if you folks would mind sharing some stories about what happens in the heat of summer?

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is really very simple- regardless of the weather hot or cold, cues should be kept unscrewed in their case at all times when not being used. Cues in cases should always be brought into a home that is heated in winter and cooled in summer when not being transported or used, cues should not be left in cars overnight. If you are playing at night and need to travel to work in the morning with your cue, bring it into a climate controlled space at work during the day if possible. Follow all these simple rules and you should have no problems. Remember that wood,glues, natural material inlays such as ivory, etc. are ALL affected by prolonged exposure to any extremes in temperature hot or cold; as well as sudden temperature changes if exposed.

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do what Mr Mosconi says and you will never have a problem.
I’ve seen 2 cues left in car in winter come completely apart.
Balls brought in from a cold car will sweat. You don’t want sweaty balls.

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member

Attachments

• 30gkz0.jpg
    30gkz0.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 283

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From house to pool hall, put them in the car with you.
For leaving in the trunk all the time, don't. Shaft/butt can warp, rings can expand through finish, finish can crack.
What happens when you pour hot water on a cold glass or dump a hot pan in the sink with cold water on it? Same thing can happen when you bring cue in from freezing car to pool hall.

Having said that, I once spent about 2 years not hitting a single ball and had my Joss cue in my trunk in New England that whole time. When I took it out again, it was in perfect shape. But that is like saying that smoking is OK because you know someone that smoked that lived to be 90.

Last edited:

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Okay, I'll play the straight man. If you feel comfortable, so is your cue.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Having said that, I once spent about 2 years not hitting a single ball and had my Joss cue in my trunk in New England that whole time. When I took it out again, it was in perfect shape. But that is like saying that smoking is OK because you know someone that smoked that lived to be 90.

I've heard a few, very few, stories like this. It's way better to not take the chance. A friend of mine was walking from the car to the house and his case came open and the shafts for his Szamboti fell out. He didn't notice they were gone until the next day, when they found them they were twisted very badly.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I live in hot-sticky-ville Oklahoma. Best thing you can do is KEEP YOUR HANDS CLEAN. Wipe your cue down with a clean micro-fiber towel while playing. Oh yeah, DO NOT leave cue in trunk!!

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
The general rule I was given by an old-timer that still posts here back when I first got my ivory pointed Schon is that you try like HELL to not leave your cues anywhere you wouldn't lay down and sleep for 8 hours ;).

There is no ring pop anywhere,with the original finish,and zero inlay swelling.

I've seen probably a couple hundred Meucci cues with rings,points,and inlays swelled out to the point it would take a half sheet of 220 to fix them,plus a refin once you got them sanded back flush. Tommy D.