Housemen - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly...

Brain,

I've known a few housemen over the year and I think you're right, today's houseman is nothing like his predecessor. It's not their fault, it's really not anyone's fault. It's just the grim and depressing reality of our sport. Just like the pool hall it self, time has past by the need for the houseman.

Housemen didn't make their living from wages, it came from gratuity. Today's players (well first, there are fewer of them) just don't seem to be as generous as players in the past. If you see a player snap off $200 or $300 one night, will they give the houseman $70 or $80? Or, maybe players of the past were just a little wiser with the ways-of-the-world (give a little to get a little).

It is depressing when you think about how our sport is evolving, at least to me. So many people will not get to experience this sport the way it was for many generations of pool players. Oh, there are a few old time pool halls with traditional houseman. I'm one of the lucky few who live fairly close to one of them. During the day, the old-timers are still playing dominoes, or Backgammon. But, usually they are playing pitch. There is always a golf game on the snooker table (you have to be invited to play). You can still place a wager (sweat bet) on your favorite sporting event (football, basketball, baseball, ect...). There is usually some cheap action and every once in a while a big game.

Sorry I've strayed away from your original topic.

Next time you clock out, slide another $20 to the houseman.

Steven

Steven;

Glad you have a 'pool hall' within striking distance.

I'm trying to think of the last time I was at an establishment where they had a clock to punch for table time. It's all done on the computer now. Danged 'devil box'.

Ooops, gotta run get my La Salle's oil changed. :rolleyes:

I guess our parents lamented how all was better when they were kids, too, right?

But I'm serious, speaking for our generation, the old days really were better. :grin:

Best,
Brian kc
 
I was a houseman for 3 years.

Top complaint of a houseman: deadbeats and nits. "Players" who sit and drink water and cry about table time cost and stuff like that. If you want to hang out somewhere all day and not spend anything, go to the godd*mn library or a park, this is a business!

Weird complaint: why do road players try to hide and play the 'feeling you out' game trying to find action? "I'm in town on business and...blah blah blah" It is really transparent and if you are able to fool the houseman he obviously is an idiot and won't be able to steer you/give you any info anyways. Just come out and ask!

I should write a thread, ha ha

There you have it folks, from a real houseman. :thumbup:

Thanks for sharing this.

Best,
Brian kc
 
We had a house pro in the 60,s in Whiteville NC at Caswell Billiards
(Was est in 1940 and went until 1995) His name was Larry Fisher.
When your 10c game of 9b was over,he would run over and rack the balls,
or when not busy would play you for a $1 a game

Petey;

How it should be, right?

Best,
Brian kc
 
I could write a book about that place. Too many stories of drug deals going south in the parking lot with shots being fired, stabbings, arrests. One of the kids that was working in there with me, Long was his name, happened to be about 5'4'' and 150 pounds tops. Long had gone to a flea market and bought a set of those cheap swords that look like one sword in the sheath. He then duct taped them to then of a house cue. Nobody knew that he was a martial artist, but they kinda stayed on his good side with that being right next to the register.

Another night, I was working and my shark bait hit the door. We didn't know what his real name was, but when hit the door, all the guys that gambled would in unison, "SHARK BAIT!! WOO HAHA!!" from finding nemo. Anyway, he came and started talking crap that he found some kid on the way over to the poolroom that was gonna take all my money and blah blah blah. As the little punk is talking crap to me, Chip Compton walks up behind him and starts talking. Shark Bait says, "How much you wanna play this drunk kid for?" I replied with, "Chip, I'll take breaks, ball in hand to the one. Action?" Shark Bait walks away with his head hunk low having just learned the most important rule in a pool hall. DON'T TRY TO MOVE ONE OVER ON THE HOUSE MAN!!!

I may continue another post into this topic later, but those are the two funniest that I can think of at the moment.

Now that's what I'm talking about! :D

Chip Compton portrayed as the poor drunk kid with his wallet wide open. lol.

Nice response! :thumbup:

Best,
Brian kc
 
I had the privilege of Spider1 being my local houseman. Brandon was always right on top of the local action and it was a pleasure having a guy like him around. He could steer a game and give you a lot of info., if you were a regular. He actually plays a pretty mean game and understood all the little things that go right over most poolroom employee's heads.

He was also real good about steering customers with cues for sale in the right direction and always knew someone who might need one in a night league.

The only thing he couldn't do was to have his buddy Nando call everyone to let them know he was having a going away party for Brandon before he left for Maine, but then again, I probably wouldn't go to a party where I was a guest...:D

Spider1 will be missed!

Steve

P.S. Tell Shannon and Max (Thor) Rose and I said "Hey"!



Very nice acknowledgement, Hunter.

Thanks for sharing this.

Best,
Brian kc
 
I had the privilege of Spider1 being my local houseman. Brandon was always right on top of the local action and it was a pleasure having a guy like him around. He could steer a game and give you a lot of info., if you were a regular. He actually plays a pretty mean game and understood all the little things that go right over most poolroom employee's heads.

He was also real good about steering customers with cues for sale in the right direction and always knew someone who might need one in a night league.

The only thing he couldn't do was to have his buddy Nando call everyone to let them know he was having a going away party for Brandon before he left for Maine, but then again, I probably wouldn't go to a party where I was a guest...:D

Spider1 will be missed!

Steve

P.S. Tell Shannon and Max (Thor) Rose and I said "Hey"!

Thanks Steve, you are, as always, a class act. It was a real pleasure knowing you not just as a customer but as a friend, good luck and god bless in the future! I already miss the weekly sh*t talking, barking, and matching up we got to enjoy down there: "You think Johnny won't get to 5?! BET!!!" :lol:

P.S. It was really easy steering people looking for cues your way because you could find anything at a great price! As always, if I go looking for another cue (after the 4 you already found me! :) ) you'll be the first person I call!

Oh and tell the regulars Spider said hello when you see them! :)
 
what made a pool hall "home" is gone

The housemen and a few ladies are what made pool halls when I started playing, them and the regulars that came to the pool hall every day at the same time like working a job even if they just sat in a chair or played dominoes. Mostly the owners served as housemen but there were a few housemen that just made money any way they could too with no direct employment at the pool hall.

One of my favorites was Jessie. Not sure how he spelled his name or what his last name was but he was a very solid shortstop and he always had a tale to tell once he decided you were good folks, funny or with a lesson in it sometimes both. I always remember his tale of his first date, his first piece of tail, and his first case of the clap all at once! He had thought she was a sweet innocent little thing that would never even date him. I had tears rolling down my face I was laughing so hard at the story as he told it.

Jessie had spent his days in the oilfield before retiring and had arms like tree trunks. Not that he needed it but he had carved a handle into a small log sized piece of pulpwood and had it behind the bar. He said he had came out from behind the bar with it once or twice but I never saw it happen. His pool hall was in a rough area on the blue collar side of town but inside was as safe as a church when he ran it other than the occasional accidental shot.

Jessie arm wrestled and in the years I played in his hall daily I never saw him beaten. He allowed as to how he was a little sore the day after putting down the LSU arm wrestling team, most repeatedly, but that was as close as he came to being beaten that I know of.

Jessie was one of the wisest men in the ways of people I have ever met, there wasn't much he didn't see from behind the counter. He rarely interfered but when the deal was a little too raw with an innocent involved he might shut it down.

When I think about it all of the great house men and women were very wise in the ways of the pool room and the street. Rather they acted or not they never seemed to miss anything or fail to understand exactly what was going on.

Another houseman was actually the bartender in a low dive. It had pool tables on the side and in an era when segregation was the rule at night the owner had hired a black bartender who worked in white long sleeved shirts and a tux vest, apparently the owner thought it gave the place a touch of class. I think it did myself. The bartender and I spoke often and I treated him with respect. In return he would give me the occasional steer, mostly who he thought might lighten my wallet. He warned me that Mike Massey had won some good sized events when Mike was in there practicing for a big time bar table event so naturally I made a beeline for him! :D

When I walk into a sterile place today without the long term daily regulars in it and without a house man or lady I feel like I'm in an alien place. Walking into a pool hall that is a pool hall I know it when I walk through the door. I have three that I know of within seventy miles of me and that is fortunate today.

Occasionally I see an old pool hall in unknown territory and step in the door. Sometimes it is a pool hall and I am home when I cross the threshold. Sometimes it is a very nice place but not a "real" pool hall and I turn and leave without considering hitting a ball. Pool halls need tables but for me it is the people that make a pool hall very much including the house person or people. One thing about the real housemen, they have you rated within a ball nine times out of ten before you are twenty feet inside the door. Nothing wrong with being a little general about your abilities but spare them the BS, they ain't gonna buy it!

Hu
 
Back
Top