Houston, TX or Texas High-End Mechanic

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I searched the forum, but mostly what I find is something to the effect, "There are no good mechanics in Texas."

I have a 9' Diamond Paragon delivered September 2020. I need some adjustments.

Now that I am finally taming my stoke and actually stoking rather than "hitting" the cue ball, and now that I have many more shots at pocket speed, I see roll-off on at least two corners. In my mind, there is a "soft thud" rather than a rebound sound off a couple cushions near a couple corners. (Actually, the ones that seem to roll off.)

Now, Mike and a helper delivered and set up the table directly from the Diamond factory, and my understanding is Mike is a top level mechanic, perhaps trained by RKC himself. It's also notable that we had a really dry summer, and I never put out the soaker hoses for the foundation. So, that's a variable in any roll off.

When the rails were installed, they used power drills, but when I questioned that, they said that Diamond puts torque limiters on the drills. So, if true, that would address RKC's point about properly adjusting the rail bolts.

Anyway, I need the table re-leveled (it was perfect for nearly 3 years) and perhaps a check on the torque on the rail bolts. If RKC will be traveling in the area anytime in the next 6 months, I'd wait for him and write a blank check. Otherwise, I'd appreciate any thoughts on top-level mechanics. I've reached out to Richard Black, so maybe I'll get a name there.

Thanks for reading!

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
"Diamond puts torque limiters on drills"? That statement is very suspicious. A torque wrench should be used, and rails should be checked periodically to maintain the proper torque. If you have any mechanical skills at all, it's something you can easily do yourself. A small torque wrench like this one works (click link) great and is pretty cheap, you'll just need a 1/4" extension and a 1/4" drive 9/16ths socket. The smaller wrenches like this will be in inch-pounds, so to get 15 lbs torque you will want to set the wrench at 180 in-lbs.
The leveling is a bit trickier, but if the table rolled right for 3 years, it's very likely that only the legs will need adjustment. Again, this is something you can possibly do yourself if you have the right level. Find the lowest corner and adjust the leg leveler. Repeat until all 4 corners are even.
If you find a table mechanic, make sure they are bringing a machinist's level, if they are bringing a carpenter's level send them packing!

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the thoughts and tips. Will note the types of levels.

Will look at the links in the morning. Want his done correctly, hopefully by someone who can repeat it here if necessary. I may just have to step up to handyman level. Not my strength, would rather pay an expert, but when up against a wall, ya gotta step up!

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Maybe find a first class mechanic here. Offer travel time.

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Maybe find a first class mechanic here. Offer travel time.
Thanks for the suggestion. I searched and can't find a post by cuephoric or cuephonic (spelled differently in two different places). There is an a-1 billiards in San Antonio. The 406 area code is for Montana, but that doesn't really mean anything anymore.

I'll keep this one in my back pocket and see what happens Monday. Thanks!

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the suggestion. I searched and can't find a post by cuephoric or cuephonic (spelled differently in two different places). There is an a-1 billiards in San Antonio. The 406 area code is for Montana, but that doesn't really mean anything anymore.

I'll keep this one in my back pocket and see what happens Monday. Thanks!
Study what has to be done. Consider a DIY... tiny adjustments. If you're not satisfied then you can continue the search.
Get the proper level and you'll have it for the future. I'm getting one to have on board. Aside from finding a mechanic ...they are busy. Can be backed up for a while. (weeks/months). Don't be afraid to try things unless you're really unsure.
I got a real botch job on my Pro set up...I paid 8+ travel time to a recommended mech that came to fix it up. Paid his fee and thanked him. Thanked him big time.

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Study what has to be done. Consider a DIY... tiny adjustments. If you're not satisfied then you can continue the search.
Get the proper level and you'll have it for the future. I'm getting one to have on board. Aside from finding a mechanic ...they are busy. Can be backed up for a while. (weeks/months). Don't be afraid to try things unless you're really unsure.
I got a real botch job on my Pro set up...I paid 8+ travel time to a recommended mech that came to fix it up. Paid his fee and thanked him. Thanked him big time.
I actually did look on the Starrett website this week at their Machinist levels. Looks like one 12" is around $400. I have not searched, but that name sticks in my mind from reading AZB the last few years.

I suppose I can look around and see if I can find some info about servicing a Paragon. I vaguely recall Mike (mechanic from Diamond who installed it), saying the table would develop some slight roll-off after enough time. He tried to explain to me that there were some relatively easy adjustments to be made in the legs to bring it back to true level. I think they are in the design grooves in the legs. I was too excited while they were installing it to remember much.

Probably not a bad idea to at least check it out. While not totally OCD, I tend toward perfectionism. I need to find out how many levels are needed to properly level the table. I'd think at least 2 and perhaps 4. That's $800 to $1600, which is a lot but could be worth it if I can figure it all out.

I'd need a good torque wrench, also, as I've seen RKC commenting on the tightness of the rail bolts. Again, the cue ball does rebound okay but has a distinct "soft thud" around at least a couple of the corners.

Keeping my fingers crossed on getting a good referral from John Rizzo... :)

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Is an 8” Starrett suitable? As for OCD… nothing wrong with that. You’ll get a lot of good quality support from some people here. I’m following.

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Buy yourself a 8" Starrett level and a in lb torque wrench. If it's just a simple leveling of the corners, and loostened rail bolts, it's very easy for even a novice to do. You will want the torque wrench no matter what anyway, as they will loosenen over time. After tightening the rail bolts, mine need to be tightened again after a month or so, and again later on.
One visit by a mechanic just to tighten your rail bolts, would pay for a level and torque wrench. Really wish I had my own level when my Diamond dealer set my table up at first, as do to a ball roll off I noticed after he left, I ordered a 8" level for myself, and found it off over 3 lines off in spots.
Starrett 8" level ebay-mohan821 $165 new shipped
1/4" Torque wrench harbor freight $12

Last edited:

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You dont need a Starrett level. No reason to pay that much just for a oool table. For machining.... yes. Pool table... no.

This is very accurate for less then a third of the money. It is very accurate and sensitive. I can level a slate and just lean on the table, and the bubble moves.

It comes with a spanner wrench to calibrate it. It is more difficult to calibrate then a Starrett, but I haven't had to do it yet.

Nakkaa 12 Inch Master Precision Level with Wooden Box Accuracy 0.0002"/10" for Checking the Straightness Parallelism The Surface of Machine Tools Equipment https://a.co/d/dMTDFXf

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You dont need a Starrett level. No reason to pay that much just for a oool table. For machining.... yes. Pool table... no.

This is very accurate for less then a third of the money. It is very accurate and sensitive. I can level a slate and just lean on the table, and the bubble moves.

It comes with a spanner wrench to calibrate it. It is more difficult to calibrate then a Starrett, but I haven't had to do it yet.

Nakkaa 12 Inch Master Precision Level with Wooden Box Accuracy 0.0002"/10" for Checking the Straightness Parallelism The Surface of Machine Tools Equipment https://a.co/d/dMTDFXf
Thanks for that recommendation. Certainly more palatable than the Starrett.

Waiting to speak with John Rizzo and then I'll decide the route to take. Would like to be able to do this myself, though.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Buy yourself a 8" Starrett level and a in lb torque wrench. If it's just a simple leveling of the corners, and loostened rail bolts, it's very easy for even a novice to do. You will want the torque wrench no matter what anyway, as they will loosenen over time. After tightening the rail bolts, mine need to be tightened again after a month or so, and again later on.
One visit by a mechanic just to tighten your rail bolts, would pay for a level and torque wrench. Really wish I had my own level when my Diamond dealer set my table up at first, as do to a ball roll off I noticed after he left, I ordered a 8" level for myself, and found it off over 3 lines off in spots.
Starrett 8" level ebay-mohan821 $165 new shipped
Torque wrench harbor freight $12
rail bolts on diamonds and GC's need to be around 15FOOT/lbs.

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
Please go back and re-read my original reply. You do not want a 1/2" drive torque wrench, most of them will barely have 15lbs on their scale and if it does, it will be at the very bottom. You will not get a very positive click unless you have a high end torque wrench. One with a range of 20-200 inch lbs will leave you at the top of the scale (180 inch lbs = 15 lbs)
An 8 inch Starret is going to be a reliable tool that will last a lifetime. https://www.amazon.com/Starrett-98-8-Precision-Machinists-Cross-Test/dp/B0002FUO7M The cheap one someone suggested is not suitable, they are tricky to calibrate, and quite a bit too sensitive. ONE level will be plenty. Take some scraps of paper and draw an arrow on them. At every place you check, you can place the arrow pointing to high or low, (pick one) depending on where the bubble is. You can check the calibration of your level by rotating it 180 degrees and seeing if it reads the same both directions. This video will give you an idea how a diamond is leveled. The leg adjusters will be different on yours, but you should be able to work out how to raise and lower the legs pretty easily.

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Please go back and re-read my original reply. You do not want a 1/2" drive torque wrench, most of them will barely have 15lbs on their scale and if it does, it will be at the very bottom. You will not get a very positive click unless you have a high end torque wrench. One with a range of 20-200 inch lbs will leave you at the top of the scale (180 inch lbs = 15 lbs)
An 8 inch Starret is going to be a reliable tool that will last a lifetime. https://www.amazon.com/Starrett-98-8-Precision-Machinists-Cross-Test/dp/B0002FUO7M The cheap one someone suggested is not suitable, they are tricky to calibrate, and quite a bit too sensitive. ONE level will be plenty. Take some scraps of paper and draw an arrow on them. At every place you check, you can place the arrow pointing to high or low, (pick one) depending on where the bubble is. You can check the calibration of your level by rotating it 180 degrees and seeing if it reads the same both directions. This video will give you an idea how a diamond is leveled. The leg adjusters will be different on yours, but you should be able to work out how to raise and lower the legs pretty easily.
Thank you for the detail and re-reference. I’ve been making notes by hand on a notepad; tomorrow I’ll do a more formal transfer from this thread to Word. It would be nice to have the equipment and knowledge to be able to do this myself.

DeeDeeCues

rail bolts on diamonds and GC's need to be around 15FOOT/lbs.

Have you ever seen a ft·lb torque wrench that goes down to 15ft·lb? They basically don't exist unless they are electronic and very evidence, so you convert to in·lb by multiplying by 12.