Houston, TX or Texas High-End Mechanic

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I searched the forum, but mostly what I find is something to the effect, "There are no good mechanics in Texas."

I have a 9' Diamond Paragon delivered September 2020. I need some adjustments.

Now that I am finally taming my stoke and actually stoking rather than "hitting" the cue ball, and now that I have many more shots at pocket speed, I see roll-off on at least two corners. In my mind, there is a "soft thud" rather than a rebound sound off a couple cushions near a couple corners. (Actually, the ones that seem to roll off.)

Now, Mike and a helper delivered and set up the table directly from the Diamond factory, and my understanding is Mike is a top level mechanic, perhaps trained by RKC himself. It's also notable that we had a really dry summer, and I never put out the soaker hoses for the foundation. So, that's a variable in any roll off.

When the rails were installed, they used power drills, but when I questioned that, they said that Diamond puts torque limiters on the drills. So, if true, that would address RKC's point about properly adjusting the rail bolts.

Anyway, I need the table re-leveled (it was perfect for nearly 3 years) and perhaps a check on the torque on the rail bolts. If RKC will be traveling in the area anytime in the next 6 months, I'd wait for him and write a blank check. Otherwise, I'd appreciate any thoughts on top-level mechanics. I've reached out to Richard Black, so maybe I'll get a name there.

Thanks for reading!
I believe yesyua is on his way or maybe already there.
He's the only mechanic I let touch my table.
The carom rooms bring him in from NJ.

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I believe yesyua is on his way or maybe already there.
He's the only mechanic I let touch my table.
The carom rooms bring him in from NJ.
I sent him a message via the Forum software. I'll see if he responds.

Thanks for the recommendation!

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Have you ever seen a ft·lb torque wrench that goes down to 15ft·lb? They basically don't exist unless they are electronic and very evidence, so you convert to in·lb by multiplying by 12.
My 1/2 drive and my 3/8ths drive will do 15ft lbs.. my 3/8ths drive goes down to 5ft lbs

Attachments

• 4AB159BE-6ACF-4A55-936F-6096365E5D4C.jpeg
    4AB159BE-6ACF-4A55-936F-6096365E5D4C.jpeg
    132.1 KB · Views: 60

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you ever seen a ft·lb torque wrench that goes down to 15ft·lb? They basically don't exist unless they are electronic and very evidence, so you convert to in·lb by multipt everywhere there's a torque wrench

Have you ever seen a ft·lb torque wrench that goes down to 15ft·lb? They basically don't exist unless they are electronic and very evidence, so you convert to in·lb by multiplying by 12.
I don't know of a single torque wrench manufacturer that doesn't offer a wrench that covers your target.
Yes of course you might need to do some math.

When choosing a Click Wrench, you want your target torque to be between around (perfect world) 30% of the bottom of the wrench and 100%.
The spec is around 15% of the bottom end.

Moral of the story is find a click wrench that your target is 50% of the wrench range/scale.
Learning how to use a click wrench is also important. WHERE IS YOUR HAND?

Don't Click Twice. If you're doing that, you need to learn more.

If you're anal, like me, & I'm not a mechanic, invest in a digital torque wrench.
That will normally remove all your errors when pulling the wrench.

Those will give you any scale you want to work with.

Last edited:

DeeDeeCues

I don't know of a single torque wrench manufacturer that doesn't offer a wrench that covers your target.
Yes of course you might need to do some math.

When choosing a Click Wrench, you want your target torque to be between around (perfect world) 30% of the bottom of the wrench and 100%.
The spec is around 15% of the bottom end.

Moral of the story is find a click wrench that your target is 50% of the wrench range/scale.
Learning how to use a click wrench is also important. WHERE IS YOUR HAND?

Don't Click Twice. If you're doing that, you need to learn more.

If you're anal, like me, & I'm not a mechanic, invest in a digital torque wrench.
That will normally remove all your errors when pulling the wrench.

Those will give you any scale you want to work with.

I never said they didn't cover the target torque. I said the vast majority are not labelled in ft·lb.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never said they didn't cover the target torque. I said the vast majority are not labelled in ft·lb.
Because when you get below say 50Ft/lbs it doesn't make sense to talk in ft/lbs.

When you work with the smallest reasonable scale, your ability to hit the torque target increases.

A click wrench is calibrated to +- 4%. Some Mfg's say their's are 3%, but 4% is the ANSI Standard.
4% of 50ft/lbs is a lot bigger number than 4% of 200In/Lbs Torque wise.

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Texted the mechanic from Diamond that originally installed the table. Waiting to see if I get a response. No luck with any local recommendations.

whittle

I actually did look on the Starrett website this week at their Machinist levels. Looks like one 12" is around $400. I have not searched, but that name sticks in my mind from reading AZB the last few years.

I suppose I can look around and see if I can find some info about servicing a Paragon. I vaguely recall Mike (mechanic from Diamond who installed it), saying the table would develop some slight roll-off after enough time. He tried to explain to me that there were some relatively easy adjustments to be made in the legs to bring it back to true level. I think they are in the design grooves in the legs. I was too excited while they were installing it to remember much.

Probably not a bad idea to at least check it out. While not totally OCD, I tend toward perfectionism. I need to find out how many levels are needed to properly level the table. I'd think at least 2 and perhaps 4. That's $800 to $1600, which is a lot but could be worth it if I can figure it all out.

I'd need a good torque wrench, also, as I've seen RKC commenting on the tightness of the rail bolts. Again, the cue ball does rebound okay but has a distinct "soft thud" around at least a couple of the corners.

Keeping my fingers crossed on getting a good referral from John Rizzo... :)
I found my starrett 98 12" on ebay for about $200 it was in perfect condition. They are easily calibrated by turning the level 180 deg. and adjusting until bubble is exactly the same. When looking for a used level make sure they are picturing the bubble and that it is not to large it should fit between the lines. I'm in no means a pool mechanic but I leveled my table with one level, meant I had to record the reading at each spot with soap stone and move around a lot.

pvc lou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you tried Blaine Barcus? I believe that’s his business. Very good Houston player, and a stand-up man.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
This is who I've been working with teaching for over a year now.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240408_182353_Contacts.jpg
    Screenshot_20240408_182353_Contacts.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 22