How about "designer cues" instead of custom cues?

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think we're mostly in agreement. The one thing I'll modify is that "Custom" should mean "better than their standard." Otherwise it's just another product in a new suit, same as all the rest.

BETTER is subjective.

BETTER has NOTHING to do with whether the product was "customized" from the original design.

Is EVERY custom cue BETTER than EVERY production cue that is STANDARD?

I may customize a Mustang to add mirrors that are chrome instead of the car color.

Are the mirrors BETTER?

megatron69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BETTER is subjective.

BETTER has NOTHING to do with whether the product was "customized" from the original design.

Is EVERY custom cue BETTER than EVERY production cue that is STANDARD?

I may customize a Mustang to add mirrors that are chrome instead of the car color.

Are the mirrors BETTER?

By "better" I mean higher quality. Whether that's the materials themselves and the fit and finish, etc.

"Is every custom cue better than every production cue?" No, not necessarily. I don't think I even implied that.

I think you're misunderstanding my point(s). Maybe this is partially my fault for not using a more precise word than "better."

But let's use that Mustang as an example. But let's say instead that it's a 2020 Mustang Shelby GT 500. And let's say we have another car, a Ferrari 458. Now there are certain things that the Mustang might be "better" at, such as raw acceleration. But the tolerances, fit and finish, design, etc. are of a much higher quality than the Mustang. Why? Because Ford decided to build the Shelby partly from parts made for lesser production cars. Whereas Ferrari designed every part, the engine, even the seats for just the 458 out of the best (light and strong) materials they could find.

In essence, the Ferrari is a custom car. The Mustang is a customized production car.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
By "better" I mean higher quality. Whether that's the materials themselves and the fit and finish, etc.

"Is every custom cue better than every production cue?" No, not necessarily. I don't think I even implied that.

I think you're misunderstanding my point(s). Maybe this is partially my fault for not using a more precise word than "better."

But let's use that Mustang as an example. But let's say instead that it's a 2020 Mustang Shelby GT 500. And let's say we have another car, a Ferrari 458. Now there are certain things that the Mustang might be "better" at, such as raw acceleration. But the tolerances, fit and finish, design, etc. are of a much higher quality than the Mustang. Why? Because Ford decided to build the Shelby partly from parts made for lesser production cars. Whereas Ferrari designed every part, the engine, even the seats for just the 458 out of the best (light and strong) materials they could find.

In essence, the Ferrari is a custom car. The Mustang is a customized production car.

In pool cues a "customization" may be to make the cue at 60 inches instead of the normal 58. Not everyone would say that is a better "quality". It has nothing to do with "quality".

The same goes for diameter of the shaft. They standard is 13mm. If I tell them to make it at 12.2mm, is that a better "quality" in a cue?

Let's say a certain car only is made in Black...like the original Fords. If I talked Mr. Ford into painting one red, is it better "quality"? It is customized and different from what is standard, but the "quality" is the same.

If I can draw a ball 4 feet with a 13mm shaft and you can only do it with a 11mm shaft, is it the "quality" of the shaft or the quality of the player?

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about limited edition cues.........or one of a kind design cues........or handmade custom cues.........or
or......or.........just keep Custom Made........a cue made to a particular’s customer’s order.......that is
the definition of custom made. Perhaps you should try using that book called a dictionary from time to time.

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
How about limited edition cues.........or one of a kind design cues........or handmade custom cues.........or
or......or.........just keep Custom Made........a cue made to a particular’s customer’s order.......that is
the definition of custom made. Perhaps you should try using that book called a dictionary from time to time.

Bavafongoul: putting the “dic” in dictionary since 2010.

Ok, brainwave. Let’s say I get a custom cue to my specs. I then sell it to Bob. Bob had no input into the cue design. Just how is it “custom” for Bob? Answer - it isn’t. It’s not a Josey Custom Cue. Or a Nitti Custom Cue. It’s just a Josey. Or a Nitti. You’re buying it in its current configuration, the same as you’d buy a Predator. I rewrapped and retapered my Mezz. Guess it’s a Mezz Custom now....

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
production
noun

pro·​duc·​tion | \ prə-ˈdək-shən
, prō- \
Definition of production

1a : something produced : product
b(1) : a literary or artistic work
(2) : a work presented to the public (as on the stage or screen or over the air)
c : something exaggerated out of proportion to its importance
2a : the act or process of producing
b : the creation of utility especially : the making of goods available for use
3 : total output especially of a commodity or an industry
4 often attributive : something not specially designed or customized and usually mass-produced
// a production car
// production housing

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/production

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let’s say I get a custom cue to my specs. I then sell it to Bob. Bob had no input into the cue design. Just how is it “custom” for Bob? Answer - it isn’t. It’s not a Josey Custom Cue. Or a Nitti Custom Cue. It’s just a Josey. Or a Nitti. You’re buying it in its current configuration...

I agree with you 100% in that regard.

I was going to type the same thing yesterday.

The new owner should call the cue as "a whatever cue that was customized for Bob."

Shawn Armstrong

Silver Member
I agree with you 100% in that regard.

I was going to type the same thing yesterday.

The new owner should call the cue as "a whatever cue that was customized for Bob."

It was the entire point of the post that you rehashed this morning, and tried to debunk. Now you’re in 100% agreement. FFS, pick a side and stick with it.

megatron69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In pool cues a "customization" may be to make the cue at 60 inches instead of the normal 58. Not everyone would say that is a better "quality". It has nothing to do with "quality".

The same goes for diameter of the shaft. They standard is 13mm. If I tell them to make it at 12.2mm, is that a better "quality" in a cue?

Let's say a certain car only is made in Black...like the original Fords. If I talked Mr. Ford into painting one red, is it better "quality"? It is customized and different from what is standard, but the "quality" is the same.

If I can draw a ball 4 feet with a 13mm shaft and you can only do it with a 11mm shaft, is it the "quality" of the shaft or the quality of the player?

And again, we seem to be in agreement. Customization doesn't necessarily mean higher quality.

As for your next two sentences concerning tip diameters and the color of a Ford, those are options, and have nothing to do with quality. Again, we're in agreement.

If someone can only draw a cue ball 4 ft with either shaft, they need to work on their draw, period. Or forget using draw altogether.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shawn......you are a silly little man........OMG.

That cue example you proffered is just dumb. Why would that be?

You see the cue was indeed a custom made cue for the original owner who ordered the cue made.
It is only custom made while owned by the same person that can lay claim to it as such.....only them.

The next person that buys it owns a previously owned, used cue....nothing more and nothing less unless
or until some rarity/scarcity of value rendered that cue a unique one of a kind....Nope, it is just a previously
owned, used cue made by X cue maker for someone else that asked it to be custom made.....after that it
is just another used cue....customization of cues are just like suits.....custom tailored to the owner’s fit and
thereafter, if sold or donated, it is just another previously worn, used suit.......Come on now, get real.

Shawn Armstrong

Silver Member
Shawn......you are a silly little man........OMG.

That cue example you proffered is just dumb. Why would that be?

You see the cue was indeed a custom made cue for the original owner who ordered the cue made.
It is only custom made while owned by the same person that can lay claim to it as such.....only them.

The next person that buys it owns a previously owned, used cue....nothing more and nothing less unless
or until some rarity/scarcity of value rendered that cue a unique one of a kind....Nope, it is just a previously
owned, used cue made by X cue maker for someone else that asked it to be custom made.....after that it
is just another used cue....customization of cues are just like suits.....custom tailored to the owner’s fit and
thereafter, if sold or donated, it is just another previously worn, used suit.......Come on now, get real.

Yep. Pretty much what I expected from you. Next....