how are ya'll doing in league ?

plhlolelnlilx

F.I.S.H.
Silver Member
I can't seem to win, ever, in Masters....but keep winning by large margins in regular league. Sooo frustrating!
I've been doing just the opposite. I'm probably 80-90% in masters and can't seem string any racks together for regular league play. I've been so unmotivated until last Monday when I spent 5 hours playing one pocket and another 4 hours successfully playing the ghost.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been doing just the opposite. I'm probably 80-90% in masters and can't seem string any racks together for regular league play. I've been so unmotivated until last Monday when I spent 5 hours playing one pocket and another 4 hours successfully playing the ghost.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Lost in Masters again, now 1-6 this session. But won again in regular league. So bizarre!

ElLeon

Headshot
Silver Member
Had the "joy" of playing against the team that is known for bending the rules (blatantly cheating). After a player on my team would get a B&R, they would spend 10 minutes racking, or if we racked, spend 10 minutes griping that the first 6 balls in the rack weren't 100% frozen (on ratty bar tables, mind you).

They even claimed balls were frozen to rails when you could put 3-4 playing cards between the rail and ball. THAT bad.

After being up 31 to 16 (he is a SL 6, i'm a SL 5), they iced me with a 20 minute long rack, then drug out a few more to get back in it. I barely won out at 38 to 41.

As the Captain, I should be immune to this sharking, but it got to me... Next time we use the magic rack or they can re-schedule and pay for the tables at a pool hall that has 8' Diamond tables.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had the "joy" of playing against the team that is known for bending the rules (blatantly cheating). After a player on my team would get a B&R, they would spend 10 minutes racking, or if we racked, spend 10 minutes griping that the first 6 balls in the rack weren't 100% frozen (on ratty bar tables, mind you).

They even claimed balls were frozen to rails when you could put 3-4 playing cards between the rail and ball. THAT bad.

After being up 31 to 16 (he is a SL 6, i'm a SL 5), they iced me with a 20 minute long rack, then drug out a few more to get back in it. I barely won out at 38 to 41.

As the Captain, I should be immune to this sharking, but it got to me... Next time we use the magic rack or they can re-schedule and pay for the tables at a pool hall that has 8' Diamond tables.

Glad my regular session matches aren't like that. I do run into that kinda crap in playoffs once in a while though.

Lazy night in double jeaporxy I played a 5 in 9 ball....o was raised to a 6 a few weeks ago. Lost 38-42. Hard to get past spotting .darn good 5 's 8 points when I still play lil a 5 most times.

Played the same guy 8 ball where ws are both 5's and i wo. 4-1. I had a break and run and would have had another but I rattled the last ball before the 8. I commited the cardinal son we all do from time to time. Thinking about my next shot while down on the one in shooting at.

be1163

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bounced back after the failed Regionals on the weekend.

9-Ball - 20 to 0
8-Ball - 5 to 0, with 2x 8BR and a third that should have been, but hung the 8!

Lovin' Pool right now especially with a Cash Tournament in a week!

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fri night lost to a 6 in 8 ball 5-2 . An hour later I won my 9 bal match bs another 6 by 46-29 for a score of 15-5

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Well had the best opportunity for Vegas on Saturday (APA/CPA 8-Ball Singles Regionals) and had a complete mental collapse.

I was in the SL7 board and leading up to the day shooting some of the most consistent pool I ever have. The board had only 12 players in it and many of the top players didn't qualify for one reason or another.

Arrived at the hall around 10:30 and found I received a first round bye. Played my first match at about 1:30 and easily took it 5 to 1. Second match was against a solid player form out of town which took place around 4:15, which I again easily won 5 to 1. Both matches so far only took me 40-60mins.

Then the semi-finals are called at 8:30 and I have been sitting since 5pm. I'm tired, not focused, cold and out of stroke. Even at this point I managed to get up 3-0 before the mental errors really came into play. Many times I got to the table with ball inhand and only a few balls on the table to runout. My mental game was so far gone that I would stand there with no idea what to shoot or how to get shape on the next ball. My opponent ended up getting to the hill first (4-3) when I got lucky and he scratched on the 8. Now its hill-hill (4-4).

I decide I need to do something, so I took a short bathroom break, splashed water on my face, grabbed a pop and went back to the table, feeling better. I dry-breaked and gave my opponent an open table with a nice spread. He ran all, but scratched after pocketing his last ball before the 8. I stepped to the table, ran my 7 balls and left the cueball about 3 inches from the 8 and twelve inches straight into the corner.

Now the first issue, one major flaw to my game is the anxiety I get when I have to shoot and the object ball is too close to the cueball, and yes 3 inches is too close for me. I'm always worried about double hitting and have been this way for '15 years'. The second issue is I need to use the rake to reach the shot and this compiled onto the first has me very worried. I shook it off the best I could, approached the table and lined it up. The whole time reminding myself to not double hit and not to worry about overthinking, because who would miss this only being twelve inches from the pocket.

I pulled the trigger, 8 ball striking the horns and coming to rest on the lip of the pocket. At that moment I realized that again, like so many times before I didn't give the "easy" shot the respect it deserved. Match over, I lost and no Vegas this spring!

As I always attempt to do when things like this happen, I remember, learn from and chalk it up as a lesson and there were a couple lessons. The first (for me) is that every shot deserves the same respect no matter how easy it appears. The second, is that in 'Modified-Double Elimination' its better to lose at the point when you still can go to the B-Side, so that you get to keep playing. I know if I had a match directly before the semi-finals this wouldn't have happened.

I have qualified for regionals in the Fall and losing at the right time in order to stay playing on the B-Side and avoid the long wait to play will be the game plan. People may not agree with this, but if its what I need to do to win then that is what will have to be done.

If you haven't been before you might want to consider going anyway. Just to be in that atmosphere can help curb you anxiety, seeing unfamiliar players in that same situation and how it's dealt with and just networking with a group of similar minded people. I think it's something everyone can benefit from

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I dont want to turn this into a post full of excuses for losing last night 3-1 to a s/l in in 8 ball but I don't know any other way to put it.

I did not get off work until 7:00 last night. League starts at 7:30 . It's 45 minutes from my work to my House. 20 minutes fo chit ....shower...shave get dressed and grab my cues. Another 45 minutes to the venue we were playing at last night. Considering all that hassle I txt my captain and told him I could not make it.

He txts back he needs me cause we are shorthanded and fo nust come on fo league and use his cues. Bad mistake....like I said ...i lost 3-1 to a 4 that is no where as good as the 4 I blanked Tue night 4-0.

Here is where the excuses start.

1. At 3:30 my boss asks me to go fo a job an hour and a half away fo fix a pipe that was broke . Had fo be done tonight cause the contractor had 500 yards of concrete being delivered 7;00 in The morning. So I haul ass up there...cix the pipe...haul ass back.

So here are the excuses.

1. Dirty after digging up the pipe and felt uncomfortable.

2. Tired as hell

3. Used a low deflection cue I was not used too. Miscued so bad once I missed the entire ball ...damn.

My opponent offered fo buy me a beer after he won . Guess I made his day cause I o over heard his g/ f tell him before the match he xix not ha e a chance against me.

I have known her a while so she knows how I play and he is new and a low 4 so she thought I was gonna blow him away.

Well as the saying goes...shit happens lol

Last edited:

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I dont want to turn this into a post full of excuses for losing last night 3-1 to a s/l in in 8 ball but I don't know any other way to put it.

I did not get off work until 7:00 last night. League starts at 7:30 . It's 45 minutes from my work to my House. 20 minutes fo chit ....shower...shave get dressed and grab my cues. Another 45 minutes to the venue we were playing at last night. Considering all that hassle I txt my captain and told him I could not make it.

He txts back he needs me cause we are shorthanded and fo nust come on fo league and use his cues. Bad mistake....like I said ...i lost 3-1 to a 4 that is no where as good as the 4 I blanked Tue night 4-0.

Here is where the excuses start.

1. At 3:30 my boss asks me to go fo a job an hour and a half away fo fix a pipe that was broke . Had fo be done tonight cause the contractor had 500 yards of concrete being delivered 7;00 in The morning. So I haul ass up there...cix the pipe...haul ass back.

So here are the excuses.

1. Dirty after digging up the pipe and felt uncomfortable.

2. Tired as hell

3. Used a low deflection cue I was not used too. Miscued so bad once I missed the entire ball ...damn.

My opponent offered fo buy me a beer after he won . Guess I made his day cause I o over heard his g/ f tell him before the match he xix not ha e a chance against me.

I have known her a while so she knows how I play and he is new and a low 4 so she thought I was gonna blow him away.

Well as the saying goes...shit happens lol
I got trounced by a 6 last night... I shouldn't feel too bad; she was strong and ran two racks in a row to finish me off.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Tonight was one of those nights that keeps me engaged.

Yes, its easier to say that cuz I won. Full disclosure. :p

I played a 6, who has been a 7 before, (and is currently a 7 on his 9-ball team, tonight was 8-ball) we've had plenty of matches before. I always enjoy playing him, even when he kicks my a$$, which is most of the time.

Tonight he wasn't "on". Neither was I, particularly. So we had to work at it, both of us missing shots that we shouldn't. I got more lucky leaves, so I ended up shutting him out 4-0, but its not like I crushed him. I simply survived each game, both of us trying safes, and kicks to get out of $hitty leaves.

It was fun. Thinking. Laughing, at ourselves. Digging in.

Yup, this is why I do this. Helps when I win :)

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just joined a league that sounds too good to be true. They pay for individual performances. Break and run: $$$. Shut out:$$$ . On the snap:$$$. Win the lag: $.

I'll tell you all how it ended up.

Freddie <~~~ one match in

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
Valley Format in house League

Yesterday was my birthday. It also happened to be the first day of a new in house league we started with a Valley format. 5 players each night rotate and play another team with five players.

It was fun the way we chose teams. Instead of a dynasty team coming in, we broke up the handicaps and made a gigantic list, then random picked the captains and had a draft last week.

I shot perfect pool last night (for bar league 8 ball! Even though I was a little distracted by all the b-day shots and beers people were buying me, including all the guys singing for me at the end of the night (awkward!).

2 Break and runs, one lucky rack that I should've been run out on, a good run and a SICK jump bank into the side for shape on the 8 in my second game.

Good fun - my tab was zero dollars for the night, and we all came up with the name "Hungry Hungry Hippos" **graphics for t-shirts to follow**

ArfArf

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
Quick question for everyone here....

Quick question - Is Vegas worth it??

I got offered to go with a team to Vegas and I would play the singles if I went as well. But is it worth it??

My budget would be really really tight, I'm thinking $500 for the plane and the hotel(we are splitting 4-5 ways) Entry is covered by our local billiard supply store, but there's also food and drink and fun/action money.

ElLeon

Headshot
Silver Member
Depends what you go for!

If you go to find some ladies and party then you can expect a tab of $500-2,000 per day without trying very hard.

If you go to shoot pool then your only expenses will be cab to/from the airport (~$40-50), plus food, and you will only be into the trip a few hundred bucks on top of airfare and hotel. I suggest hitting Peppermill for a few decent meals and their fantastic bloody mary. (http://www.peppermilllasvegas.com/)

If you go for the shows, a vacation, shooting pool, drinks, and tourism then the world is your oyster and your wallet will hate you.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member

I got offered to go with a team to Vegas and I would play the singles if I went as well. But is it worth it??

My budget would be really really tight, I'm thinking $500 for the plane and the hotel(we are splitting 4-5 ways) Entry is covered by our local billiard supply store, but there's also food and drink and fun/action money.

Ever been before? If you haven't, then it's a must, and as a previous poster said - it really depends. I love it, because it costs me almost nothing. You'll have to have a few at the hotel with friends (be careful not to order at the pool), but other than that there are more then enough places to eat and drink that are dirt cheap. Those places are the best time too. Personally, I could eat at In-N-Out a couple of times a day every day, but that's just me. Downtown can be done pretty cheap, if you spend a little time there you won't need to see a show. Las Vegas isn't for everyone though, you'll either love it or you won't, but as a pool player you really should experience it at least once.

Banks

Banned

By singles, do you mean the minis? Teams and singles are held at different times. Also, for singles, you are reimbursed a certain amount for travel and then get $100 last place money, so it's pretty much a wash. In our area, a team that qualifies for vegas gets money as well. Not sure of your situation, though, as i did run across a team or two for masters that was simply given the opportunity to go play as their area was quite small or at least they didn't have a masters division there. It is a lot of fun, though.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Here in NYC, Megabucks used to make similar offers. $10 for every break and run if you were a D or less.

One reason why the league was financially successful was because the league operator was able to give a better return to the players than local APA league. He offered trips to BCAPL Las Vegas, Super Billiards Expo and cash prizes.

I just joined a league that sounds too good to be true. They pay for individual performances. Break and run: $$$. Shut out:$$$ . On the snap:$$$. Win the lag: $.

I'll tell you all how it ended up.

Freddie <~~~ one match in

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played 9 ball last night on the gold crowns vs the room owner who is a 6 like me.

He has been a 6 for a while and I was just raised to a 6 not too long ago. He also plays on the 9 footers a lil more than I do.but I managed to hang with him winning 46-45.

I gotta admit for once luck was on my side instead of my opponents ..like it usually goes lol. We also got into a few safety battles

Felt good to finally win one as a 6 after losing the Last 4 in a row since i was raised

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last nights double jeapordy league was a real bummer.

When k got there and grabbed the score sheets I saw I was lowered back to a 5 again I. 9 ball...no real.surprise the way I been playing lately but still a bummer

It gets starting time and no one on my team is there but me and one other player. She tells me 2 of my players were practicing on the 9 footers earlier so k go looking for them

No where in the building so I k ow they out back smoking wacky weed. I txt one of them and tell them to get their ass on there I know 2 will not be showing because they told me they were volunteering at a church function.

A 5th player comes draggin aas on 20 minutes late but at less I have a full team.

When I throw my self I. 8 ball for the third round they dump a 2 on me. I'm already in a foul mood because the way it was going and now I gotta fade playing a low player in a 5-2 race..i het up 4-0 and shit goes down him and I lose the next 2..

I face another 5 next in 9 ball. He has been a 6 a few times like.me. Shit went down hill fast I. This match also. I.swear ...half the time I walked fo the table I was kicking at a ball.....either a lucky leave by him or a safe the only bright side to the ass whipping I received was an approximate 80 % success rate In Making a legal hit on my kicks .avoiding giving him big.. Most of the time I left him a decent shot though

It got down to him needing 1 ball and I needed a shit load. Not sure how many but it was quite a few. I wound up okaying a safe. He kicks at warp speed....makes contact...semds it down table towards the corner pocket...ot misses ny half a diamond....hits the cue ball....goes across table into the other corner pocket.

Mu lo who ks keeping score for me nist starts laughing .o just shrugged mu shoulders realizing....some nights just ain't your night

Glad nights like this are few and far between