how are ya'll doing in league ?

glfgd82

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Been working at improving and moving from my old 8ball team to one with a friend who is a 7 and has another 7 who is a 660 fargo has helped a ton.

MVP for 8 ball spring session, first time playing in this league and pool hall. My 9 ball stats are rising as well, I beat two 7's and 20-0 against a 6 (I'm a 5). Tons of close matches but my inconsistencies got the best of me. Our team won the league by 55 points so there's that.

Screenshot_20210531-175103_Pool League.jpg

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Tomorrow night will be the first Thursday night in over 9 years that I haven't been on a 9-ball team. Its gonna be strange. Our team captain got tired of having to try and recruit different players, and finding ones that would show up regularly, and I don't blame her one bit. I've been a team captain before, and its a thankless job.

I'm not actively looking to get on another team. It will be interesting to see if anyone reaches out to me, once they realize that I'm not playing.

Then again, the way I'm playing lately, maybe taking some time off isn't a bad idea. Still, I feel very much at odds with a long-time team coming to an end.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tomorrow night will be the first Thursday night in over 9 years that I haven't been on a 9-ball team. Its gonna be strange. Our team captain got tired of having to try and recruit different players, and finding ones that would show up regularly, and I don't blame her one bit. I've been a team captain before, and its a thankless job.

I'm not actively looking to get on another team. It will be interesting to see if anyone reaches out to me, once they realize that I'm not playing.

Then again, the way I'm playing lately, maybe taking some time off isn't a bad idea. Still, I feel very much at odds with a long-time team coming to an end.

I folded my Friday team at the end of last session for the very same reason your vaptain did. It was 5 weeks ago and so far i have not missed it one bit.

I may play again in the future if some one aaked but it would depend entirely on what night and who is on the team. Gotta be a good fit or otherwise i will politely decline.

Still captain of my sunday team but i highly doubt i will ever captain a aecond team again.

smallstonefan

This is my first league and last night was my fourth week. I have won only one 9 ball match but I hadn't lost an 8 ball match until last night.

I started the evening discovering that I was moved up to an SL 4 and playing another 4. I had him 2-1 and was knocking him around good in the 4th game (me on the hill, a race to 3-3). I sunk the 8 ball and felt pretty good about it until it was pointed out I failed to mark the pocket. :/ That gave him the win and put him on the hill, and I lost the last game. That was a crummy way to lose, but honestly I always forget to mark the pocket and I needed a lesson like this to reinforce in my head the need to mark the pocket. I won't let that happen again (I hope!). :)

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well i won 9 ball 46-42 in a 46-46 race. I didnt shoot that great...actually missed about 4 easy shots i should never miss but i played good enough to win. No ...actually if my opponemt had not been raised to a 6 after beating me like a rented mule a few weeks ago i would have lost tonight since he reached the required 38 points a 5 needs before i reached 46.

I played the same person in 8 ball where we are both 5's and won 4-2 in a 4-4 race.

That makes 2 wins in a row in 9 ball after starting out losing 3 in a row. Still undefeated in 8 ball at 5-0 .

MmmSharp

Nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat.
Gold Member
Silver Member
I never understood the reason for mark the pocket. Sure, call it even if it is a hanger. But mark it ? Seems to have no value add but adds stupid overhead.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I never understood the reason for mark the pocket. Sure, call it even if it is a hanger. But mark it ? Seems to have no value add but adds stupid overhead.
This has been discussed often. For most reasonable folks, it is unnecessary. Unfortunately, when large numbers of people get together, you will inevitably get some who will do whatever it takes to try and cheat, or at least try and take advantage of a situation to their favor.

By requiring that the pocket be marked, there is no question as to which pocket is intended. There will always be "that guy" (or "gal") that will say they thought a player meant a different pocket than what the shooter said.

Its sad that it has to be that way, but if something as simple as marking the pocket can eliminate that from ever being an issue in a league of 250,000 players, its really not a big deal. Cuz there will be plenty of other moments of stupidity and drama that needs to be addressed.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Yeah, but it aint that big of a deal to do

and most of my experiences are that if you ask the guy before hand to agree on just calling the pocket, its never been a no you have to mark it kind of thing

MmmSharp

Gold Member
Silver Member
This has been discussed often. For most reasonable folks, it is unnecessary. Unfortunately, when large numbers of people get together, you will inevitably get some who will do whatever it takes to try and cheat, or at least try and take advantage of a situation to their favor.

By requiring that the pocket be marked, there is no question as to which pocket is intended. There will always be "that guy" (or "gal") that will say they thought a player meant a different pocket than what the shooter said.

Its sad that it has to be that way, but if something as simple as marking the pocket can eliminate that from ever being an issue in a league of 250,000 players, its really not a big deal. Cuz there will be plenty of other moments of stupidity and drama that needs to be addressed.
I have know a few of those folks. If it is to avoid that i can see it. The logic seems flawed if you are calling the pocket as well.

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
Another side effect I've noticed is it forces the player to stop and think about the shot. Too often I have seen a player sink their last ball and then quickly drop down on the eight an end up missing a simple shot.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I have know a few of those folks. If it is to avoid that i can see it. The logic seems flawed if you are calling the pocket as well.
The issue is which pocket you are calling. In your hanger example, its pretty obvious. But of course there are people who will say "corner pocket", and of course it goes in the other corner pocket. Or any of a bunch of other possibilities that people will come up with.

There is no debating any wording confusion with a marker on the rail.

Last edited:

Cuedup

During my short stint in APA, I've only seen the mark pocket rule be an issue with lower skill level players.

2s dont know where their ball is going most of the time and I guess they assume no one else knows where their ball is going either.

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
It may seem silly, but I've seen many an argument over which pocket a player meant. Stick waving and generic shouting corner pocket can get heated when what is interpreted versus what was intended conflict.

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
I was playing at my home bar yesterday. I was watching two guys playing 8-ball. One of the guys was trying to put the 8 ball in the corner pocket. He missed the pocket, but scratched in the side pocket. Everyone acknowledged the game was over, except the guy that made the shot, which was apparent from the puzzled look on his face. He said "no, its ball in hand because he did not sink the 8 ball". Seeing he was the only one in the room of this opinion, he quickly conceded.

He sat down next to me to further discuss the scratch on the eight rule. He was just as shocked that I had never heard this rule, as I was in hearing of this rule. We are in a bar so it is common to ask the opponent if they want to play league or bar rules. They decided on "league" rules. This is the start of the confusion. He was playing by the league rules he knew from NY, not the ones we know here (FL). I started in APA and I am in TAP and Gold Coast leagues now. I understand there are some differences between the leagues, but all of my experience has always been any scratch on the eight is a loss of the game and assumed this was a universal rule. Oddly he claimed to have played APA in NY, but this rule and other things he claimed of his experiences with APA there do not jive with the official rules. I told him he piqued my curiosity and I would do some research. Well now I see now that this rule can be different. There are other leagues (BCA,UPA, etc.) that if you scratch while shooting the eight, but do not pocket the eight results in a BIH foul not a loss of game. Hmm... Learned something new.

I am still interested how he played in APA for so many years, and not know this rule or the scoring and safety details we also discussed. Now that I have the correct and complete information I can straighten out the issue next week.

MmmSharp

Gold Member
Silver Member
I was playing at my home bar yesterday. I was watching two guys playing 8-ball. One of the guys was trying to put the 8 ball in the corner pocket. He missed the pocket, but scratched in the side pocket. Everyone acknowledged the game was over, except the guy that made the shot, which was apparent from the puzzled look on his face. He said "no, its ball in hand because he did not sink the 8 ball". Seeing he was the only one in the room of this opinion, he quickly conceded.

He sat down next to me to further discuss the scratch on the eight rule. He was just as shocked that I had never heard this rule, as I was in hearing of this rule. We are in a bar so it is common to ask the opponent if they want to play league or bar rules. They decided on "league" rules. This is the start of the confusion. He was playing by the league rules he knew from NY, not the ones we know here (FL). I started in APA and I am in TAP and Gold Coast leagues now. I understand there are some differences between the leagues, but all of my experience has always been any scratch on the eight is a loss of the game and assumed this was a universal rule. Oddly he claimed to have played APA in NY, but this rule and other things he claimed of his experiences with APA there do not jive with the official rules. I told him he piqued my curiosity and I would do some research. Well now I see now that this rule can be different. There are other leagues (BCA,UPA, etc.) that if you scratch while shooting the eight, but do not pocket the eight results in a BIH foul not a loss of game. Hmm... Learned something new.

I am still interested how he played in APA for so many years, and not know this rule or the scoring and safety details we also discussed. Now that I have the correct and complete information I can straighten out the issue next week.
All the bca leagues i play in are if the 8 is on the table, game continues. Scratch on the 8 is not game over unless you pot and scratch on the 8. It would be ball in hand if the 8 was on the table.

i haven't played apa, but we would consider scratch on 8 a loss in bar pool rules. Sounds like your buddy is playing bca rules.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
All the bca leagues i play in are if the 8 is on the table, game continues. Scratch on the 8 is not game over unless you pot and scratch on the 8. It would be ball in hand if the 8 was on the table.

i haven't played apa, but we would consider scratch on 8 a loss in bar pool rules. Sounds like your buddy is playing bca rules.
Scratching on the 8 in APA is loss of game. Not just in bar rules.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've had someone play the "you didn't mark the pocket" on me, little did she forget she didn't mark the pocket on her three wins and I didn't mark it on my other 2, she was just mad I tied it up.

I just looked at her and said "Well, you didn't mark any of yours", got back down on the shot hammered it in and walked away from the table. She apologized later.