How are you going to improve your pool game for 2012?

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In 2012 I'm going to:
get some lessons
get a decent cue
join a league
play some local handicap tourneys
practice with structure
keep monthy records of my progress
watch a lot of you-tube matches
read as much as possible on the internet

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very good input!

In 2012 I'm going to:
get some lessons
get a decent cue
join a league
play some local handicap tourneys
practice with structure
keep monthy records of my progress
watch a lot of you-tube matches
read as much as possible on the internet

You are going to be a Monster player if you do all of what you say! Keep your focus and concentration up to par!
Many Regards,
Lock n Load.

scottjen26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stroke, stroke, stroke. Limited playing time these days, and I need to further refine my stroke so when I show up to the room I don't feel like I need to practice for an hour or two to get warmed up. I know the shots, positions, etc., just need to deliver the cue ball in a straight line every time. Easier said than done... :)

Scott

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
Work on fundamentals.
Develop a structured practice routine.
Maybe contact an instructor from the list Fran just linked to in the Instructors forum.

bankshotbo

Ex-Pat
Silver Member
I will be playing more snooker. Now that i am back in a proper snooker country i will get my game on and when i play on a pocket billiards table the green will seem small and the pockets huge. I will also work no my position game. I watched Ronnie O'Sullivan play a masters game last night and he is a wizard. I want what he has!

Aten

m8
Silver Member
stroke, drills, using rails and natural shape more often... most importantly, focus. I play hard and can run out quite a bit when up against local shortstops, but against players weaker than myself I just dog the hell out of every straight in

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I would like to hear what you are going to do to make your game much better this year, 2012?
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

I'm going to buy a new cue.

Then I'm going to practice my pick up lines in front of a mirror.

Mc775

Registered
Try to get an hr's practice in everyday....although with a household to run, 2 kids, homework (not mine) oh, did I mention my wife???? Forgot I had one of those for a moment there....should be a breeze. Luckily I have a table of my own so that's why I say everyday

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A table of your own!!

Try to get an hr's practice in everyday....although with a household to run, 2 kids, homework (not mine) oh, did I mention my wife???? Forgot I had one of those for a moment there....should be a breeze. Luckily I have a table of my own so that's why I say everyday

Some of us are blessed! You are going to be good real soon.
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

nicksaint26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My 2012 goals to imrove:

1. Quit drinking; I have not had a drink since the New Year. Drinking would definitely affect my game as nights wore on.
2. Get my contacts renewed since I currently have 20/40 vision without them.
3. Expand into different games beside 8 and 9 ball. I would like to learn 1 pocket, straight pool, bank, rotation and 10 ball.
4. Develop a steady weekly practice routine.
5. Read and watch as much pool as possible

Mc775

Registered
Some of us are blessed! You are going to be good real soon.
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

Ok, after I made my post I realized what it looked like, my apologise for comming off as such. With that said, lock, what do u plan on doing?

Last edited:

FortWorthSteve

Registered
Accept Nothing Less

After 40 years of play, the light finally has come on, (in terms of ball pocketing), so to improve this year.... i plan to play as much straight pool as possible, and work until the fingers fall off !!

I love all you "straight pool" people, .. the nicest , kindest, best people in pool !

jan 2, 2012 ran 105
jan 10, 2012 ran 122

then i can go days on end running nothing more than 40 !,,, pool can be so cruel !!! ;)

madfox

I love pool ...
Silver Member
My new breaker and jumper improved my game already and I guess it will still improve this year. A better consistent break will help a lot my game. I plan also practicing more my routine and my mental game.

abs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm going to take a 5-pronged approach for this year:

1) Make one technical improvement to my game, just one so I can focus on to evolve my game. My choice is to fix my draw shot, I am much worse at it than other types of shots so my play is out of balance. Once I conquer draw, I will pick another weakness and work that.

2) Make a procedural change, in this case enforcing my pre-shot routine. I am generally pretty lazy/un-focused, so I don't consitently run-through my full pre-shot routine. This is my number-one reason for being a poor shot maker.

3) Make a commitment to devote more time to drills. I emphasize drills to all my fellow players, and yet I only drill like 5% of the time when I go to play. Usually within 30 minutes of settling on my table, some fellow player asks to play me, so get distracted with that. I need to learn to just say no :)

4) Improve my mental-ness; this is something that will also help outside of pool. I have to tackle improving focus as well as handling pressure. I am just getting started with this, and I bought the book "The Inner Game of Tennis: The Classic Guide to the Mental Side of Peak Performance" to start with.

5) Play better players. Most of my play is in league and just casual games which is fine, but I don't always get to play better players in these circumstances. So I making the point to enter more local tournaments, which have a fair selection of strong players to test myself against.

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You did not come off as anything wrong!!!!!

Ok, after I made my post I realized what it looked like, my apologise for comming off as such. With that said, lock, what do u plan on doing?

Everything was OK with your post. I am going to hit a few balls at Buffalo's Billiards, the World's pool hall! get a little more table time! That is about it. Thanks for asking!
Many Regards,
Lock n Load.