How common are break cues amongst avid amateur players in the US?

Do you use a break cue when playing pool?

• Total voters

Greg M

Here in Ireland, I have never seen anyone carry a dedicated break cue for pool. I'd say the vast majority of players here break off with their playing cue, or else grab a rack cue with the thickest tip they can find. Some players care about a finessed cut break than having to drive the cue ball with as much power as they can, hoping for a nice split and maybe a few balls potted. I personally don't use one. I did consider investing in one when switching from using a snooker cue to my current English pool cue. At my intervarsity event a few years ago, one of my friends was using a ~13mm American pool cue for blackball, but we all used it to break off. He didn't seem to mind.

I've also included a poll to gauge answers. Be great to get some opinions.

9ball5032

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use a house cue. I never use my playing cue, if I do it will be a soft break. A lot of time I will be playing someone that has their own dedicated break cue and they will offer to let me use it.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's no reason to use a break cue unless you have an uncontrollable compulsion to obliterate the stack. I have a breaker but I leave the back half at home and break with whatever I'm playing with. The shaft (phenolic tip) is for jumps.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Although I carry a jump/break, I'll break off with whatever suits the needs of the game and table conditions.

More often than not these days, I'm breaking with my player. Not much to be gained in power with the breaker, and I'd rather have the added control of the player.

atlas333

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play in an 8 ball league and a hard break is necessary. So I carry a break cue

Cuedup

Seems most league players around here use a dedicated break cue.

I used to as well but have just been carrying just my player with me for the past year or so. Breaking with it isn't an issue.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
I’ve come to the realization that I’m intimately familiar with my playing cue. Why trust the most important shot to some cue you’re not as familiar with? If I use a break cue, it will be the same model as my player with a harder tip. I want consistency though I can play with anything even off the wall.

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have three knocking around in my basement between the tables. I never take them outside because I'm a poser and don't want to embellish the illusion. Then I use my player or off the wall, depending on my mood.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do use a dedicated break cue if I am gonna break the balls in anger. I'll use a playing cue if soft breaking.

Deformation of playing cue tip is to be avoided, is my reasoning for using a dedicated popper.

JuanM

break cue mostly, to save my playing tip. for 9-10 ball anyway.

8 ball i use the second ball break, i wouldnt even attempt it with my phenolic tip break cue, always use playing cue for that.

Geosnookery

I just use my regular cue. Never had an issue in 50 years damaging a cue. I’ve always got just as good results with about 75% power.

Usualky about 1 in 4 will have a break cue but I find after time that most leave it in their case.

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use one when breaking hard. Helps preserve the tip and ferrule. With that said, I think the $700 + break cues are a scam. I feel a stiff $100-$150 well made cue will work just as well.

Totally agree. I know people who have $300 and under break cues that break just as good as those with the $700 and up cue.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I just use my regular cue. Never had an issue in 50 years damaging a cue. I’ve always got just as good results with about 75% power.

Usualky about 1 in 4 will have a break cue but I find after time that most leave it in their case.
Where I play I am almost the only one who doesnt use a dedicated break cue out of about 100 regulars. Regardless of the shooters skill level I think if they see better players using a break cue they will get one too. Same with carbon shafts, everyone and their brother is buying a carbon shaft regardless of skill level, some are not even sure what advantages it may offer if any.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here in Ireland, I have never seen anyone carry a dedicated break cue for pool. I'd say the vast majority of players here break off with their playing cue, or else grab a rack cue with the thickest tip they can find. Some players care about a finessed cut break than having to drive the cue ball with as much power as they can, hoping for a nice split and maybe a few balls potted. I personally don't use one. I did consider investing in one when switching from using a snooker cue to my current English pool cue. At my intervarsity event a few years ago, one of my friends was using a ~13mm American pool cue for blackball, but we all used it to break off. He didn't seem to mind.

I've also included a poll to gauge answers. Be great to get some opinions.
Depends on the game being played. Not at all needed for 14.1, one pocket, or banks. For 8, 9, or 10 ball it’s obviously a different story and a break cue would be highly preferred. I would say over half of our weekly 9-ball handicapped tournament have a dedicated break cue.

Last edited: