How do cue balls affect the sound of the hit

Tom1234

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thoughts from your experiences with different brands of cue balls and different tips would be greatly appreciated. I recently installed a Precision hard tip on one of my personal cues. I played for a few days on my son's table; don't know the brand of balls that came with it. Bottom line, when I returned home to play on a Diamond table with a different set of balls (I was told they were Cyclops), the hard tip sounded like a brick hitting a concrete wall!! The tip made a dull thud sound on my son's table. Why the huge difference? Thanks.

Sunchaser

Belgian Malinois
Silver Member
I hear ya...I can also tell hear a difference on Diamond tables too. The cue ball is / seems heavier, and like a different coating on it too. Hard and slippery. I play on Diamond tables two nights a week...enough to notice a difference. Matt D.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... the hard tip sounded like a brick hitting a concrete wall!! The tip made a dull thud sound on my son's table...
Two possibilities I can think of: different room acoustics with less echo in your son's room; your son does not have phenolic balls.

There is a demo somewhere on the interwebz of a gun being fired in an anechoic chamber. It sounds like a mild pop. Here is a comparison of a balloon popping: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zq07ZFMvo-c