How do I Force Myself Not to Grip the Cue So Tight?

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You gotta laugh sometimes at the inane questions posed here every so often...

Old Jackie Vernon joke:

Guy goes into his doctor's office and says, "Hey, Doc, it hurts when I do this." (Guy pokes himself in the eye.)

Doc stares at him for a second and says, "Don't do that."

Lou Figueroa
bada bing, bada...
 
Lou...I beg to differ. The only "inane" questions are the ones not asked. In this case, that is a perfectly legitimate question. My answer would be to have the student point their index finger at the floor, while swinging the cue (taking the finger completely off the cue during the stroke). Most of the grip pressure, in the hand, comes from the index finger and the thumb. Take this test: grip something as tight as you can, with your grip hand...do the same thing with your index finger pointing straight. You'll notice the difference in grip pressure immediately. Once the student learns to relax their grip, they can bring the index finger back into the equation.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com
 
Scott Lee said:
Lou...I beg to differ. The only "inane" questions are the ones not asked.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

AMEN.
cheers.gif
 
Scott Lee said:
Lou...I beg to differ. The only "inane" questions are the ones not asked. In this case, that is a perfectly legitimate question. My answer would be to have the student point their index finger at the floor, while swinging the cue (taking the finger completely off the cue during the stroke). Most of the grip pressure, in the hand, comes from the index finger and the thumb. Take this test: grip something as tight as you can, with your grip hand...do the same thing with your index finger pointing straight. You'll notice the difference in grip pressure immediately. Once the student learns to relax their grip, they can bring the index finger back into the equation.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

What he said...and I wonder why the comment was not posted in the OP's thread.

Possibly unintentionally, it came off as ridicule when it is a perfectly legitimate issue and a common flaw that shows up especially under pressure.

So JoeyA, here's another suggestion. When you practice, set up shots that you feel are difficult AND which you need to shoot with some pace in order to get shape.

Such shots are typically where we make the mistake of snatching the cue.

Regards,
Jim
 
I have been known to drop my cue on the table during practice sessions trying to lighten up the grip.....usually, just thinking of a light grip is enough to get the job done!
 
Scott Lee said:
My answer would be to have the student point their index finger at the floor, while swinging the cue (taking the finger completely off the cue during the stroke).
Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

When I went to see Randy G. (same school thought as Scott) last August, by far my largest problem was my grip. Well, I should say it was the hardest habit to break. Randy gave me the same advice as Scott gave above and no more grip problem.

Great advice....simple and effective.

Matt
 
Scott Lee said:
Lou...I beg to differ. The only "inane" questions are the ones not asked. In this case, that is a perfectly legitimate question. My answer would be to have the student point their index finger at the floor, while swinging the cue (taking the finger completely off the cue during the stroke). Most of the grip pressure, in the hand, comes from the index finger and the thumb. Take this test: grip something as tight as you can, with your grip hand...do the same thing with your index finger pointing straight. You'll notice the difference in grip pressure immediately. Once the student learns to relax their grip, they can bring the index finger back into the equation.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Scott, I disagree.

Not all questions are created equal. Some are good, interesting, insightful, creative... and some are just inane.

As an instructor, if a student of yours asks, "How do I make myself grip the cue not so tight?" you have to give it due consideration and provide a thoughtful, though perhaps obvious, reply. But here, scrolling through the topics, when the occasional "Doc, it hurts when I do this" question pops up, you, or at least I, can just laugh out loud.

And now that I think about it, that jokes works better as a Henny Youngman :-)

Lou Figueroa
"I've been in love with the same woman for forty-one years.
If my wife ever finds out, she'll kill me."
HY RIP
 
lfigueroa said:
Scott, I disagree.

Not all questions are created equal. Some are good, interesting, insightful, creative... and some are just inane.

As an instructor, if a student of yours asks, "How do I make myself grip the cue not so tight?" you have to give it due consideration and provide a thoughtful, though perhaps obvious, reply. But here, scrolling through the topics, when the occasional "Doc, it hurts when I do this" question pops up, you, or at least I, can just laugh out loud.

And now that I think about it, that jokes works better as a Henny Youngman :-)

Lou Figueroa
"I've been in love with the same woman for forty-one years.
If my wife ever finds out, she'll kill me."
HY RIP

This is correct; people have not meet my common customers, are kind, honest people, but have no idea what they are doing, and really do ask dumb questions.

You would feel the same way too when you are fielding 10-12 calls a day of people asking for the part that goes there to the cam to the eccentric, you know, right? :o
 
they taught me that at randyg's too.

actually I leave my index finger and my pinky off the cue........the index finger makes me grip too hard, my pinky makes me steer the cue to the left. Leaving them both off fixes grip and straightness for me
 
Back
Top