How do I tel if I need new rubber

ramw5p

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Purchased a GC3, in good condition physically, but was not set. I an getting quotes on setting it up with new cloth. I am wondering how I tell if I need new rubber - since its not setup. Most of the mechanics, locally, say I need to decide if I want to rubber before they put new cloth on it. the cost isn't huge, but not something I want to do just because. Table has been in storage for 12 years, apart. Thanks for any advice.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Purchased a GC3, in good condition physically, but was not set. I an getting quotes on setting it up with new cloth. I am wondering how I tell if I need new rubber - since its not setup. Most of the mechanics, locally, say I need to decide if I want to rubber before they put new cloth on it. the cost isn't huge, but not something I want to do just because. Table has been in storage for 12 years, apart. Thanks for any advice.
Spend the money with a good mechanic in your area and make it play right from day one. Its a solid investment and will pay out! Good luck

TFT

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Have you inspected the rails, do you have access to them? If so, apply a consistant pressure down the length of each rail with your fingers to see if you notice any soft or hard spots. Also inspect the rubber to see if it is still firmly attached to the rails and there are no loose areas.

If the table has been in a non climate controlled storage environment getting new rails makes sense before it is covered.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd put new cushions on. Sitting in storage for 12 years is not good, especially if it wasn't climate controlled. Also, some GCIII's came with a bad batch of SuperSpeeds. It's cheap insurance to have it done now. Plus, you can tighten up the pockets too. GCIII's came with 5"+ buckets in the corners.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I'd put new cushions on. Sitting in storage for 12 years is not good, especially if it wasn't climate controlled. Also, some GCIII's came with a bad batch of SuperSpeeds. It's cheap insurance to have it done now. Plus, you can tighten up the pockets too. GCIII's came with 5"+ buckets in the corners.
REAL TALK, if you have a qualified mechanic of course! :)

TFT

ramw5p

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Trent, your welcome to come down here and do the work...but I doubt I can afford it with your drive [Charlotte] and all :)

bignick31985

Life Long Learner
Silver Member
I had a new set of Superspeed cushions installed when I had Mark rework my GC4. Didn't even question if they were good, just shipped my rails with a new set to him so that when it got installed everything was as new as it could be.

I'd just replace them, if for no reason other than spending $$$ on that may save you $$$...and headache. Nothing worse than working hard to get a table setup and hating the way it plays.