HOW DO SNOOKER PLAYERS LEARN TO KICK??

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
a thread was started in the main section about whether snooker players all kick by feel or is there some other way to measure the rails since there are no diamonds on the rails

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Quit worrying about diamonds and systems and you will become a better player😉 Paralysis by analysis is real.

Boro Nut

Moderrator
Silver Member
Well I learned to play cushion-first cannons in English billiards by imagining a mirror image of the balls from where the cushion meets the rail. It's surprisingly effective for this and single rail snookers if you don't play any side on the cue ball.

Geosnookery

I just know instinctively. It’s the same as banking in shots. I don’t take any more time doing these shots than more straight forward hits. Don’t overthink and concentrate more on proper technique.

I see it like throwing a football or passing a puck in hockey when reaction time may be a second or two. Instinct kicks in ( excuse the pun). Overthinking muddles my mind.

Diamonds, measuring angles may certainly work for others but not for me. Although I do a lot of physics in my work, I never get out the mental protractor or slide rule on a billiard table.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played pool years ago against a guy who was a bit of a hotshot and he was quite intimidating - until on a kick shot he leant back, pointed his cue at various points on the table like it was a wand or something, recited a list of numbers and took his shot. He missed. I turned to a friend and said what was all that about? Hotshot said "it's the diamond system, yoh don't know what I'm talking about".

A lot of talk for a two rail kick.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Study & Lots of Practice.

Like Joe the formor Road Player, has great DVD, on the subject of kicking.

Just watching will give you basics. But practice is the kicker.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I played pool years ago against a guy who was a bit of a hotshot and he was quite intimidating - until on a kick shot he leant back, pointed his cue at various points on the table like it was a wand or something, recited a list of numbers and took his shot. He missed. I turned to a friend and said what was all that about? Hotshot said "it's the diamond system, yoh don't know what I'm talking about".

A lot of talk for a two rail kick.
It is amusing when a system player forgets to carry the 1 and misses the kick by exactly a diamond.:)

church66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Picture the cue ball as a clock face but once you have mastered it remember it only works on that format of billiards , tables etc you are playing on.

You will have fun figuring it out dude ! :cool: ;) :)

Reactions: bbb