How do YOU "Re-Boot" Your Game Mentally when the same ball is consistently missed?!?

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sometimes, like a computer, it's good to "reboot" our game...playing rotation games it's not uncommon to get in a rut of missing the same ball .
You make several great shots and hang the 7ball consistently (or 8ball, 9ball,etc) and pretty soon you feel really uncomfortable shooting this particular ball....my system to deal with this is to mentally "shuffle the cards"... I suggest that you practice an hour a day for 3 days PLAYING THE RACK BACKWARDS......For example playing 9ball you would shoot the 9, then the 8, then the 7, etc., until your shoot the 1 to win the game.....you can only imagine what this does AFTER you do it... and best of all your problem will vanish because you will suddenly see the balls as having the same "value" in each game.

The Game is the Teacher

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've always chalked that up to untraceable phenomena (UP) or bad lighting. As I get older I need glaring lights to get to get the dark solids reliably. Yours is the only suggestion I've heard on the subject. Sounds logical

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've always chalked that up to untraceable phenomena (UP) or bad lighting. As I get older I need glaring lights to get to get the dark solids reliably. Yours is the only suggestion I've heard on the subject. Sounds logical
Lighting has nothing to do with it, at some point we've all had trouble with a certain ball.....at least for a night. Running the racks backwards for an hour will do something mentally that will enhance anyone's game that has trouble with a certain ball. IT's the ultimate Re-Boot, of course the only players that will do this are winners, losers would never do something so "crazy" or "unnecessary" 🤓

Geosnookery

I can’t comment on the specific example because I haven’t tried it yet.

However, in a similar way I sometimes transcend the particulars of a game. I make up my own ‘rules’ and many don’t depend on using the white ball as the cueball. It can be some variation such as the ball closest to the centre of the table is the cueball for the next shot. Another variation is that the cueball is always the next highest available numbered ball remaining on the table...and the object ball to be sunk must be one number up from it.

A million variations are possible. Besides just being a fun challenge, these variations ‘defragment’ my brain. I feel refreshed when I get back to playing a conventional game on the Snooker or Pool table.

Billiards should be fun to play. Get rid of the squeaky brain rust. Drills can be games and games can be self created to hone certain skills. If someone was to place a hidden camera watching me on billiard table for two hours, they’d be scratching their head as I’m usually playing all types of configurations.

MmmSharp

Nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat.
Gold Member
Silver Member
I can value in something like this. I cannot count the number of times a specific ball gave me trouble. Changing the order changes you mindset which is what CJ is calling a reboot. I like this alot.

My stubborn streak usually kicks in if something like this happens. I will often take a break from a game, if i can, and just do some some simple potting drills with the ball. My focus is less on the potting and more on cueball control. This way if the ball is still being a bastard, i can say i was only focusing on position. Screw you ball. Thats how i do my reboot ;)

I will definitely try 9 to 1 version.

dirtvictim

Ignore the entitled they haven't earned respect
I take that ball to the range and shoot it with a 50cal from 1000 years.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll have to give this a try. This is how I proof read for spelling in important documents - read it backwards ;)