How does a cue play?

EddieBme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many years ago, a friend of Lee Trevino talked him into trying his putter…Lee liked it and bought the same brand at the pro shop.
…when he went back to his motel room, he held the putter over his head and swung the heel into the carpet…hard.
It changed the angle of the head slightly. He went on a win streak that eventually got him into the HOF.

If equipment is no big deal to you, I question your game.
.….when I was in action, I had cues I turned down what seemed unreasonable profits for.
Some cues are magic.
Lee could play with a pop bottle.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
It is all BS. Some cues are bad, but players can play their best with anything. A good tip with chalk is the most important component of any cue.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He was a phenomena, the touring pros were spectators when he practised…owned course records all over Florida.….
…couldn't produce it for the tournament galleries.
One author thought he might’ve been a bit autistic.
Aside from Hogan, Moe might have been the best most consistent ball striker ever.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep, Tiger said there were only two golfers that owned their swings…Hogan and Norman.
There's a lot of videos on Youtube about Norman.
He was an original.

I was an avid golfer for 25 years and just gave it up.
Don't even know why exactly.
Don't know much about modern swing theory anymore but I still believe
the first book a golfer newbie should read is Hogan's "Five Lesson."
The fundamentals are all in there, explained clearly, right down to where the callouses
should build up on your hands using the proper grip.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it’s like pizza.

It’s all pretty good. But hard to describe why..

A cue plays great when it feels great in your hands, sounds great when it hits the ball, and gives you confidence that the ball is going to go into the pocket and the CB will behave as you wish.

And, I think that a cue that plays great for one guy may not be so great for another. Over all the years I’ve played pool I’ve been lucky enough to play with several cues that played great. One ended up mistakenly sold at a garage sale, another I play with, another sits at the bottom of my closet, and another was offered to me for $50 50 years ago at The Palace one night in SF and I still kick myself for not buying it.

Lou Figueroa

Buzzard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used to "hang out" at a 24 hour room in NYC. Two or three of the regulars used house sticks that they had the desk guys hold for them behind the counter. They were gamblers and often too broke to have an expensive cue. Some of them sold their personal sticks on the spot to get some money up to bet the guy that was winning an all nighter. I could have bought a Richard Black for $50 early one morning from one of the better known hustlers but couldn't do it to him. Some of these guys could shoot your lights out with their personal house sticks which were sanded to perfection. I personally love the aesthetics of a beautiful cue but have never been good enough that the cue would make or break me. I do know that some cues definitely feel better than other cues. I once held a custom cue that felt like air but have never felt that again. I usually vet the cues that I buy on this website because of all the amazing knowledge here and I take the comments seriously about one cue maker making better hitting cues etc but realized I really didn't know what was meant by the statement.

Buzzard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought my first cue from a guy in Julians in the early 70's. He wanted $50 but I only had $25 on me so he gave it to me. It was an early Adam and my girlfriend is still using it,

docgpmiller

A cue plays great when it feels great in your hands, sounds great when it hits the ball, and gives you confidence that the ball is going to go into the pocket and the CB will behave as you wish.

And, I think that a cue that plays great for one guy may not be so great for another. Over all the years I’ve played pool I’ve been lucky enough to play with several cues that played great. One ended up mistakenly sold at a garage sale, another I play with, another sits at the bottom of my closet, and another was offered to me for $50 50 years ago at The Palace one night in SF and I still kick myself for not buying it.

Lou Figueroa
Lou,
The $50 Pretty one that got away that night !!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lou,
The $50 Pretty one that got away that night !!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Yeah, it was a dark walnut Merry Widow style cue with a bright steel joint — that cue seemed to float in my hands when I put it together to try it.

Lou Figueroa
damn

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
There's a lot of videos on Youtube about Norman.
He was an original.

I was an avid golfer for 25 years and just gave it up.
Don't even know why exactly.
Don't know much about modern swing theory anymore but I still believe
the first book a golfer newbie should read is Hogan's "Five Lesson."
The fundamentals are all in there, explained clearly, right down to where the callouses
should build up on your hands using the proper grip.
Totally agree about Hogan…worked at a pro shop since I was twelve…you could buy anything with Hogan’s name on it
…had a Hogan 4.50 wood…I could carry it 250 and land it like a pitching iron if I was having a good day…..
…however, I was a ‘Tin Cup’ golfer, no gully or green was too far, it seemed.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tip, ferrule, weight, balance point and types of wood are the major factors for me. The balance point is the most important to me and beyond that I have found I don't like super heavy woods (ebony) in the forearm (even with a good balance point) and I don't like "new" wood, it has a certain tone that throws me off, old wood is better and all my players are older cues.

I don't think I could tell the difference in hit between joints but not entirely sure, never tried.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
It is all BS. Some cues are bad, but players can play their best with anything. A good tip with chalk is the most important component of any cue.
Heartily disagree…didn’t take you for one of those guys who thinks Doc Holiday went o the OK Corral with a Saturday Night Special.

lots of anecdotal evidence against you

Getting back to the original question, what makes a good hitting cue..............

I have a good collection of cues, some high dollar, some not so much. among them I have a couple of favorites.

They feel right in your hands. When you hit the cue ball, a combination of the sound, vibration, and report simply feel good. put a smile on my face. Cannot say that I make shots with my favorites that I would not make with my other cues but when I pocket a ball with one of my favorites, I am anxious to get the next ball that is shaped perfectly because my last shot was so good.

If I find myself having to slow down because I am enjoying the play so much, the cue is a good hitting cue.

Regards,
Crankster