how important is it to use one's own cue when getting a lesson?

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
/a cue one is already comfortable with
traveling this summer, not for pool reasons but am interested in trying to get a lesson while I'm away
curious (obv) what you all think?

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It depends on a lot of things, like how far apart the lesson cue is from your cue and how long it would take for you to adjust to that cue. How is an instructor supposed to help you if your missed shots may be due to the shaft deflection that you're not used to?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It depends a lot on what you are working on. As Fran mentioned, if that is sidespin shots, the cue can make a large difference. If you are working on straight stroking through the center of the ball, not so much. Even with sidespin, if you are just starting to learn it, a house cue may be fine.

GoldCrown

Pool players have more balls
Gold Member
Silver Member
Does a player shoot more consistently using the same cue .. maintain table speed. I do. Myself.. I like to do in practice what I do in the game

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does a player shoot more consistently using the same cue .. maintain table speed. I do. Myself.. I like to do in practice what I do in the game

hey GC, I tend to agree- just not practical for me to bring pool stuff with me on the road

Reactions: bbb

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... You can use any cue for a lesson… you’ll be ok. You’ll have the drills to work with/practice when you return.
I think this is the right answer. If the lesson is mostly transfer of knowledge -- and I think most lessons should be -- nearly any house cue will be fine. Practicing touchy shots -- like with spin -- are best done with your playing cue.

GoldCrown

Gold Member
Silver Member
I think this is the right answer. If the lesson is mostly transfer of knowledge -- and I think most lessons should be -- nearly any house cue will be fine. Practicing touchy shots -- like with spin -- are best done with your playing cue.
What is your specialty? Or should I ask what do you like to teach? Stroke Mechanics or Strategies/table play. Thanks.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What is your specialty? Or should I ask what do you like to teach? Stroke Mechanics or Strategies/table play. Thanks.
The vast majority of students looking for lessons don't have the tools (shots) to plan patterns. Work on pattern play usually quickly turns into working on basic shots, like the ones in the Wagon Wheel drill or drawing two rails out of a corner. I like to work through patterns, but with the basics it's much easier to see immediate improvement which is nice for everybody.

GoldCrown

Gold Member
Silver Member
The vast majority of students looking for lessons don't have the tools (shots) to plan patterns. Work on pattern play usually quickly turns into working on basic shots, like the ones in the Wagon Wheel drill or drawing two rails out of a corner. I like to work through patterns, but with the basics it's much easier to see immediate improvement which is nice for everybody.
The best part of my pool life was getting acquainted with a stroke instructor that eventually led to learning 1p from a 1p instructor. You guys are the best. Lost without you.