How is the pool scene in Jacksonville FL?

JaguarXFR

Registered

Attachments

• katieandkayla.jpg
    katieandkayla.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 189

Keith Jawahir

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was stationed in Kings Bay, GA for 5 years from 2001-2006, and Jacksonville was the closest thing to the base. If it's anything like it was back then, look for another part of Florida to live in. May I suggest the Orlando surrounding areas, Or if you're looking for something quieter, Ocala. I think I remember reading about a pretty good room there.

If I had a better head on my shoulders, I would have chosen Bangor, WA all those moons ago. I stopped playing for 5 years when I was near Jacksonville, easily a 5-year black hole in my life.

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was stationed in Kings Bay, GA for 5 years from 2001-2006, and Jacksonville was the closest thing to the base. If it's anything like it was back then, look for another part of Florida to live in. May I suggest the Orlando surrounding areas, Or if you're looking for something quieter, Ocala. I think I remember reading about a pretty good room there.

If I had a better head on my shoulders, I would have chosen Bangor, WA all those moons ago. I stopped playing for 5 years when I was near Jacksonville, easily a 5-year black hole in my life.

You lose all credibility by recommending Ocala.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No idea about Jacksonville, but I wouldn't want to live there.

I am in Palm Coast and a new pool hall just opened up here. Nice place. Been there a few times. I don't know about action. I know they have tournaments and leagues.

Full bar. Basic food. Nice new Gold Crowns.
No smoking. To me that's a negative for a pool hall but times are changing I guess.

https://www.facebook.com/Cuenotebilliards/

Just 30 minutes North of us is St Augustine. I used to live there. They have a pool hall too.

http://anastasiabilliardroom.com/

Personally, I don't like Orlando, but for the same reasons I don't like Jacksonville. I don't like city life in general.

I never wanted to live in Florida but now that I am here I love it. :thumbup:

IUTrader

Registered
If you're looking at FL, and pool is your primary reason, consider the Tampa/St. Pete area. Pinellas county (St. Pete side) in particular has Stroker's, which is where the US Amateurs have been held for the last 5+ yrs. Also, Stix Dunediin, Stix Palm Harbor, Family Billiards, CM's Place, The Crooked Cue, Side Pockets, Hammerheads, & Corner Pocket. There is a tournament somewhere just about every day of the week, many league formats (2 straight pool leagues), and a lot of talent in the area.

In Hillsborough County (Tampa side of the bay), the scene isn't as vibrant, but there are still a few places: The Break Room & Fatzo's in North Tampa, and out to the west, Brandon Billiards, and a few more I'm sure I'm forgetting.

Tony Crosby runs a tour throughout the state, The Florida Pool Tour, that has a few events every year within a 90 minute drive of the Tampa/St. Pete area (first event of the year this Saturday at Stroker's), and draws very good competition.

And remember, if you need a break from pool, you're a short drive away from miles of pristine Gulf beaches. They are all nicer than the Atlantic side, imo. Hope this info helps.

jaetee

rack master ;)
Silver Member
If thinking of moving to the Appendix State, you really should consider the greater Tampa Bay area. Pool is alive and well here...

I live in Tarpon Springs, Florida, which is at the most northern part of Pinellas County (Clearwater & St.Petersburg are south of me, Tampa is due east). Within 10-20 minutes drive from my house, there are at least four reputable pool halls with 9' tables, weekly tournaments and multiple league options. The hall I frequent most (Strokers in Palm Harbor) even has an in-house straight pool league. If I extend my driving radius another 10-20 minutes and I can easily get to at least another half-dozen or more "real" pool halls in the greater Tampa Bay/St.Petersburg area, including well-known Capone's in Spring Hill.

Scott Lee (Master Instructor from this forum) lives in Largo, which is about 25 minutes south from me, between Clearwater and St.Pete. I happened to run into Scott and make his acquaintance at Strokers one night and we even shot some pool together.

In the past you would have heard people drop names like Buddy Hall, NY Blackie, Steve Cook, and Mike Massey as the top tier players that have either lived here, or were regulars. Nowadays, there are lots of shortstops & A-players in this area and on any given night, it's not unheard of to run into the likes of Justin Hall, Donny Mills, Corey Duell and Tony Crosby. I've also seen Mike Davis, Jason Klatt, Rodney Morris, Johnny Archer, Tommy Kennedy and Josh Roberts come through the area for tournaments.

Tony Crosby has a thriving pool/darts supply business here. In fact, he moved and installed my table with new Simonis when I bought it from CL seller... Tony also hosts a very competitive Florida pool tour which hits many FL cities. Here's the link to his Florida Tour FB page where you can see some of the locations, players and payouts for yourself: https://www.facebook.com/Florida-Pool-Tour-541053152581801/?pnref=story.unseen-section

If you do end up moving here and don't bring your car, I can even point you to Donny Mills' car lot where I'm sure he'll be glad to sell you one. ;)

Basically, living here it is possible to have your fill of pool till it's comin' out of your ears.

Last edited:

phil dade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where? Could use one without having to drive down to St Aug or out to Baldwin.

Sorry Joe, but it is St Augustine, right near the Airport. Plus Ancient City and the FOP range there.

PVB you have the FOP near Marsh Landing. all require a membership fee but that is typical.

RADAR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for info guys love retire in sunshine state someday, for sure consider tampa bay area!

I see Bangor, WA is near Seattle. I imagine I would love it out there. I love area's with a lot of green and mountains around.