how many balls have you hit?

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
About the 10,000 hours. The author of the original study disagrees with some of what the Gladwell books say.

And it's not just playing or knocking balls around -- it's 10,000 hours of directed practice, like working on specific weaknesses and doing drills that force you to think through game situations, and with a coach to keep you on the right track.

I suspect there are under 100 such 10,000-hour pool players in the world.

Bob <-- who has knocked the balls around for at least 10,000 hours

I'd be so bold to say there are under 50...... good post.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
...it's not just playing or knocking balls around -- it's 10,000 hours of directed practice, like working on specific weaknesses and doing drills that force you to think through game situations, and with a coach to keep you on the right track.
OK, well, by that definition I've hit maybe as many as, oh... say, zero balls.

pj <- incompetent
chgo

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Currently....

Attachments

• 22FF6C05-2447-4C0A-970B-9FBF0A407B49.jpeg
    22FF6C05-2447-4C0A-970B-9FBF0A407B49.jpeg
    138.3 KB · Views: 106

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good question. I'ma try to ballpark it.

The last 5 years I've averaged about 15 hrs/week. I'd guess about 100 balls per hour playing mostly fast opponents (maybe a bit less, but it makes for easy math), so 250 weeks x 15 hrs/ week x 100 bph = 375000 balls hit.

Before that I had taken about 7 years off, so 0 balls hit.

The 1st 12 years I played I probably averaged 25 hrs/week and 70 balls/hr playing slower opponents. 624 weeks x 25 hrs/ week x 70bph = 1092000.

375000 + 1092000 = 1,467,000.

Wow, that's pretty crazy. Ballpark 1.5 million balls. I'd have guessed way less.

HAMB baby!

Edit. In thinking about it, my balls per hour would be me and opponent combined, so I think I have to divide by 2. 733500. Not a million yet, but getting close-ish.

Last edited:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Grady Matthews

If any of you knew him, he Was very good with numbers, cards etc. Grady never sat, he always was doing something if he wasn't on the table/$$$$.
Early seventies I heard this question, and here is his reply.

To become a top player, you have had to of hit at least 2 million balls. No one ever disagreed with that.

I know during my Real addiction College/Varner years, I played 60 hours a week for 2 1/2 years straight, and did not finish school :).

Didn't come up for air very often during that stretch, and Johnston City was around, every Fall at Janscos Show Bar.

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't ball park it. It has to be millions. Pla ying since twelve. Three nights a week as a teenager. Worked at the pool hall for over a year and got paid to practice. Joined the Marines and spent four years in socal with a gold crown in the barracks. A layoff for seven years of serious play, although I did hit a lot of balls socially in that time. I've been playing and practicing two nights a week for the last eleven years. For five years in that period I would play for an hour everyday after work before I had to get to day care on top of two nights a week.

A good portion of my playing is solo practice. I practice at a pretty quick pace. Not exactly earl or jayson fast, but I'd certainly beat a shot a clock.

Easily millions.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

eastcoast_chris

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Following this model:

3x a week, I hit 200 balls roughly, not accounting my down time from rage quitting:wink:
so I'll make it a modest 75 balls/wk.

x 42 weeks (for the times I know I don't play.....)
x 25 years play time (since 9years old) then account for the years I completely didn't play at all........ so 15 years to be modest.....

47,250 balls hit - it seems like a fair number. my guess is I'll need to ramp that up over 100,000 to get over the depressing 540 FR number looming in my 196 robustness. :frown:

3 x 200 x 42 x 15 = 378,000 ... how does 3 x 200 = 75 balls a week?

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Following this model:

3x a week, I hit 200 balls roughly, not accounting my down time from rage quitting:wink:
so I'll make it a modest 75 balls/wk. ...

I think you're shorting yourself there, DD. Check your arithmetic.