How to Play 9-Ball - The “Official Rules” of Pool

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
FYI, I just posted a new video that discusses and demonstrates the “official rules” of 9-ball pool, along with how to play the game well. Check it out:

Contents:
0:00 - Intro
0:18 - Basic Rules
4:36 - The Break
7:37 - Push Out
9:17 - Strategy
11:40 - 3 Foul Rule
13:23 - Wrap Up

As always, I look forward to your feedback, comments, questions, complaints, and requests.

Enjoy!

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I actually wanted many years make videos like this on pool games because there weren´t not good videos about game rules. I am just lazy.
Good thing is now you done it and better work that I could ever do! Very nice examples.
Perfect work!
Next 14.1? :D
You can consult Bob with spotting rules haha

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I actually wanted many years make videos like this on pool games because there weren´t not good videos about game rules. I am just lazy.
Good thing is now you done it and better work that I could ever do! Very nice examples.
Perfect work!
Next 14.1? :D
You can consult Bob with spotting rules haha

I've thought about doing more (10-ball, one-pocket, 14.1), but they are a lot of work and I don't think they would get viewed much.

FYI, I have done a "straight pool basics" video in the past:

And VEOP covers all aspects of one pocket in great detail (including the rules and how to best take advantage of them).

I also cover all pool games fairly well already here:
Thanks again for your always-supportive posts!

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've thought about doing more (10-ball, one-pocket, 14.1), but they are a lot of work and I don't think they would get viewed much.
I Agree.
8-Ball and 9-Ball were important videos i think. I always thought one can find 50 videos how to fix something from 93´ toyota but can´t find one good video about 8-ball rules. I get often calls where people ask rules. Now i can just share link to your video!

TrxR

I think 10 ball might be well watched. I would love to see one on one pocket and 14.1 . I would also watch a 10 ball one.

But the the 9 and 8 ball are definitely the more important ones.

Thanks for the videos.

nwjohnny72

Dr. Dave this video series is great. I've debated the silly rules of bar 8 ball before with people. You're a lot more eloquent than I am though.

RT Ford

FYI, I just posted a new video that discusses and demonstrates the “official rules” of 9-ball pool, along with how to play the game well. Check it out:

Contents:
0:00 - Intro
0:18 - Basic Rules
4:36 - The Break
7:37 - Push Out
9:17 - Strategy
11:40 - 3 Foul Rule
13:23 - Wrap Up

As always, I look forward to your feedback, comments, questions, complaints, and requests.

Enjoy!
The 'Forceful' break is nonsense and should never be used. I've watched top players (Strickland, Van Boening) on YouTube shatter the rack and lose their turn because of that ridiculous rule.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
The 'Forceful' break is nonsense and should never be used. I've watched top players (Strickland, Van Boening) on YouTube shatter the rack and lose their turn because of that ridiculous rule.

I agree that the 3-point rule is “far from perfect.” I prefer the MatchRoom Sports approach of allowing the ref to judge the forceful break requirement (instead of using the 3-point rule). It is obvious if somebody is using a “soft break.” And it is also obvious if they are crushing it. You shouldn’t penalize a player with the 3-point rule if they are obviously crushing the break.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Pool Instruction meets Pool Entertainment.

It needs more of you talking while moving your hands.

If a player did not know a double hit, you are effectively teaching someone how to cheat.

Jedco

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I'd watch 10-ball, one-pocket, and 14.1 rules videos if you made them, but I'm your biggest fan, so that's probably not a good indication of how well they'd do. If you uploaded a video about folding laundry, I'd not only watch it, but I'd probably learn a thing or two.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'd watch 10-ball, one-pocket, and 14.1 rules videos if you made them, but I'm your biggest fan, so that's probably not a good indication of how well they'd do. If you uploaded a video about folding laundry, I'd not only watch it, but I'd probably learn a thing or two.

I will think about it. Laundry folding might be a nice “break” from the rules series. 🤓

benjaminwah

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is there any game where safety down is a rule? Where you call safety and intentionally pocket a ball. We played that rule in a money league up here but I don't see it anywhere else.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Is there any game where safety down is a rule? Where you call safety and intentionally pocket a ball. We played that rule in a money league up here but I don't see it anywhere else.

That is a standard 8-ball rule. You just need to call “safety” before the shot.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't believe APA allows it. Brian.

Yep. Slop counts in APA. There is no "safety" call. If you make one of your balls, you keep shooting. If you don't, your opponent shoots.