How to reindex 3 month old cloth pulled from a gold crown 3

erich1986

Registered
I bought a 9 ft gold crown 3 yesterday it came with 860 tournament blue that's 3 months old it was stapled not glued. The guy ended up buying a diamond 9ft after he had the table restored. How do I need index the used cloth to get a proper tightness in the cloth since it's already been stretched once?

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
I am not a mechanic. So please take what I say as just something from an average Joe. Hopefully someone can shed some more light on the subject.

When I installed my cloth it was the dead of winter and I went with the recommended index. In a few months summertime rolled around and it relaxed to the point I felt it wasn't tight enough.

Re-stretching was more tedious than initial install. The reason being you already have the pockets cut and have to basically anchor one side and just get the cloth right by feel. I think I ended up getting about another inch stretch, but with the pocket cuts it had to just kind of be played with. The cloth has a feel to it and you just have to get that down. You can feel the stretch in the cloth and you want to feel it springy but not overstretched. Kind of like cutting with scissors and sticking your tongue out. ;)

It ended up stretched nicely but there was stretch shadows in the cloth afterwards. On the initial stretch there were no shadows. It didn't effect play but it is a bit annoying to see.

Dartman

Silver Member
Presuming the cloth was initially trimmed, glue down rather then trying staples again. As said above, anchor 1 side and hopefully you will have enough cloth to grab onto for the opposite side. Be careful at the pockets and just index as if a new install.

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
I like starting at the side pockets, which allows me to get the proper slack, and also ensures that the pocket cutouts are in the correct placement. It's similar to the Simonis DVD process, but a bit more guesswork.
I also prefer glue for reinstalls.

erich1986

Registered
I just got the slate put on the frame yesterday and im supposed to be getting machinist level today to get it all leveled. The only glue I have currently is 3m 77 and 3m 90 after doing a little searching on the forum ive read that the 77 doesn't hold up well enough with the tension on the the cloth. Is that also the same issue with using staples it doesn't hold the cloth tight enough over time. Also is the only available option for glue ordering it off it online? This will be my first time felting a table I have a pneumatic stapler and 1/4 inch staples but also I want it done correctly so I won't have to break the table down again.

Dartman

Silver Member
3M-10 Scotchweld is what you want to use.
77 or 90 won't hold well on Simonis.

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
The 3M or this.

erich1986

Registered
Thanks everyone I'll order some. I have another question Is there a company that sell the wood backer for the slate that is precut and notched to join back together properly? The wood around the pockets and the edges of the pockets are pretty chewed up from all the staples over the years.