How to retain a new stance?

BWTadpole

The Nitcracker
Silver Member
Tonight, I worked on my stance, what I feel is one of the major flaws in my fundamentals. As a benchmark, I shot 15 corner-to-corner straight in shots before and after to find a comfortable and effecting stance. My old stance found me consistently missing balls to the right. The new stance has me pocketing 12, 13, 14 out of 15, even drawing back into the corner pocket for a scratch a better amount of the time. I've got a method for getting into a proper stance, but it's a little too time-consuming to properly make it a part of my pre-shot routine. The technique I'm talking about is featured on YouTube, as explained by Thorsten Hohmann:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPn3Wzp4NT8&feature=related

My problem is that I have trouble remembering how the new stance feels since I've been using my own method for about three years now. Are there any recommendations you can make for helping me etch this new stance into my muscle memory / feel and how I approach the shot without having to make it a step-wise process for every shot?

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
put the tip at the CB and your grip hand where ever you want to hold the cue. Keep that grip hand at your hip and line the Q-stik up with the shot. Your back foot is planted under the back of the cue stick.

Place your front(outside) foot where ever you feel comfortable/solid. When you drop down your hand automatically drops off the hip and the front bridge hand will be @ optimial position in relation to the CB.

Real easy to set up in parts...very easy to remember. PM me your email and I'll take some pics of the breakdown so you can understand real fast and easy.

best wishes,
Grey GHost

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
The only way you will make your new stance your normal stance is through repetition. When you are practicing, spend some time just stepping into the new stance. Don't worry about making shots or anything else....focus on getting into the proper stance.

This is how we teach ourselves to do anything more instinctively. A golfer goes to the range to develop a swing. A baseball player repeatedly swings a bat until they develop a consistent swing. A quarterback throws footballs at a tire until the motion becomes natural.

You have to do the same thing. It will take time, but the end result is you will have trained yourself to get into that stance automatically.

Repetition, repetition, and more repetition.

Steve

Mark Avlon

Northwest Pool School
Silver Member
Repetition, repetition, and more repetition.

Repetition is key, but make sure you're repeating it correctly.

Perform it slowly to get it right. One step at a time. The more times you repeat it slowly and correctly, the faster it will be come natural. Increase your speed slowly and only as fast as you can correctly perform it. If you make a mistake, it will slow your progress.