How Would You Play This Layout?

You are shooting at the 2 ball. How would you play this?

222.jpg

111.jpg

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
I'd play the 2-9 in the side. It's a chance for a win out of a bad situation.

Or carom 2-5.

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd play the 2-9 in the side. It's a chance for a win out of a bad situation.

Or carom 2-5.

I'd like to see the stroke you use to avoid a double hit/push on the 2-9. Going to be a questionable leave 2 after the 2, 5 billiard.

Feather the two behind the 9, stick the cue ball behind the 4.

Axis_of_Evil

Registered

Duck... thin the 2, get separation of the 2 from cb... put the cb on the upper rail behind the 6... and hopefully the 2 will also hide behind the 9... but focus on hiding the cb behind the 6.

Last edited:

philly

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'd like to see the stroke you use to avoid a double hit/push on the 2-9. Going to be a questionable leave 2 after the 2, 5 billiard.

Feather the two behind the 9, stick the cue ball behind the 4.

Where is there a four ball? 2 ball might have sight for a cross corner bank. Can't tell if there is sight for it though.

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's my shot here too.

Should be noted that when playing this safe, if you aren't in full control of your speed. It's best to leave the two short of going behind the 9. Having the cue ball hit the end rail and bounce towards the side rail/pocket area is also a good chance for safe. But locking up the cue ball behind the 4 (pink six ball) is the best safe option.

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm trying to stick the cb on top of the 6 ball here and hopefully moving the 2 behind the 9. I do think the 5 is makable but there is no way I'm leaving myself a good shot on the 2 if I do make the five. Will be interesting to see how it played out.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
2-ball behind the 9-ball....cue-ball behind the 7-ball.
...hair of left to avoid fouling on a double hit.

If your weight is off, you're leaving a small pocket one side...
...and a blocker the other

Last edited:

philly

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm trying to stick the cb on top of the 6 ball here and hopefully moving the 2 behind the 9. I do think the 5 is makable but there is no way I'm leaving myself a good shot on the 2 if I do make the five. Will be interesting to see how it played out.

From my view point you'd need a super strong stroke to hide the CB behind the 6. Looks like too thick of a cut.

rramsey0011

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would try and hide the cb behind the four as well, but I wouldn't be surprised if they played the cb two cushions around the four and made the five.

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bank the 2 ball

Hoping it hits the five and falls in.
Cue ball goes up table.

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
Looks like the safe behind the 7 is the best shot from here.

A center ball hit pretty thin on the 2, cutting it more or less toward the 6, should get your CB right behind the 7 with half-decent speed control.

For those saying carom, you'd have the draw off the 2 to make the 5, and I think it's pretty easy to miss.

For those saying behind the 4, look again at the tangent lines, I don't think you can get the CB to go that direction by thinning the 2; looks to me like you'd have to hit the 2 a little fuller with a little follow to get over to that side of the table.

-Andrew

playdoubles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

View attachment 364315

View attachment 364316

If a shot is that close, it's easier to estimate by standing behind it.

I think, by thinning the 2, the cueball will run into the left side of the 7, maybe even fuller.

It looks like it's possible to elevate and just play the 2 between the 9 and 6 to the other rail, and the cueball will get some draw into the long rail and out - so the 9 is a full blocker...