How would you run this?

megatron69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the reason I don't need side is that (1) the shot's basically straight in, so it has to be hit firmly, making the CB go wide before hitting the rail, and (2) hitting firmly also creates more contact-induced spin, widening the rebound angle a little.

pj
chgo

View attachment 520127

This is how I would do it. At least on a barbox. The trick, in my mind, is about speed. I want to hit the cue hard enough to move the 3 a few inches to make both the 2 an easier shot as well as giving me adequate room to make the 3 after. Hit it too hard and the 3 might bounce too far, turning that shot into a sharp angle reverse cut, maybe even a bank. Don't hit it hard enough and basically I've made the 2 a more difficult shoot-over-the-top of the 3.

I have league tonight so I'll try to get there early and give this a try.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the reason I don't need side is that (1) the shot's basically straight in, so it has to be hit firmly, making the CB go wide before hitting the rail, and (2) hitting firmly also creates more contact-induced spin, widening the rebound angle a little.

pj
chgo

View attachment 520127

Yeah, that's almost a force-follow.. I'll try that, too... my idea is just
a medium stroke follow, hitting the cushion closer to the side pocket.
TBC :cool:

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That could work on pretty slick cloth. On my middle-aged Simonis I wouldn't get there.

pj
chgo

So I tried it a few times with just the 1, 2, and 3.. cheated the side slightly to the
left, with a firm follow shot, got to the 2 with no side spin. I set up the whole run
out and got out twice.. hooked myself a few times, then my One Pocket
game showed up! YMMV:cool:

Attachments

• IMG_0451.JPG
    IMG_0451.JPG
    19.4 KB · Views: 70

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
So I tried it a few times with just the 1, 2, and 3.. cheated the side slightly to the
left, with a firm follow shot, got to the 2 with no side spin. I set up the whole run
out and got out twice.. hooked myself a few times, then my One Pocket
game showed up! YMMV:cool:

I tried it on an original GCI...high center ball worked beautifully...
...first day I tried this was on a 7-foot Diamond....it was hard to make and get past the jaw.
...Diamonds don’t like cheaters...:embarrassed2:

megatron69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So last night before league I tried this on a barbox, four different ways. Once with just center, then center-high, then high-left, and high-right.

Only high-left was really undesirable.

Overall, I think center-high would be the best choice; just a lot less to think about. It didn't require me to use force-follow, or even great speed. I shot it about medium firm for best results.

When I did it, the cue banked off the rail and rolled right into the 3 ball as predicted, bouncing it off the rail about 3 inches, between the first and second diamond of the end rail, giving me the slight reverse cut I wanted after pocketing the 2.

Then it was a little high for the 4 ball, putting the cue about centered between the side pockets.

Then a little high-center on the 5 to put the cue in line with the 7 ball, but on the other side of the side pocket. Shoot the 6 into the corner with stun, making shape on the 7.

7 into the side with high-center, cue rolls up a bit past where the 1 ball is in the diagram. 8 ball into the corner with high-center again, should make a natural two rail shape for the nine in the corner the 2 ball went into.

Ran the whole thing twice; was actually pretty easy if I could get the cue to bump the 3 on the first shot.