How would you run this?

DDiabolico

DDiabolico
I didn't read the other responses, but I have two similar shots I would've played.
1) Cheat the pocket to the left, high or high/right (depending on how hard you want
to hit it and how much spin the rails take on the table you play on) on the CB should
get you between the 2 and 3 quite easily
2) Cheat the pocket to the right, high/right or force follow with right, hit the rail on the
right to the pocket and spin the CB between 2 and 3. Only recommended if you know
it'd be possible on that table.

Either way, I don't really see a danger in getting behind the 3. If you end up with a weird
angle on the 2 or if it ends up that it can't be potted anymore, the safe will still be an option.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the proper safe on the 2 is to thin it toward the 3 and send cb up to the corner pocket in the bottom L of the picture.

Since nobody asked...

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I think the proper safe on the 2 is to thin it toward the 3 and send cb up to the corner pocket in the bottom L of the picture.

Since nobody asked...

In my worthless opinion, this is the best option and the easiest to accomplish. The OP tried the safety of sending the 2-ball down table, but leaving the 2-ball near the center and almost on the top rail is going to be a problem for the incoming player just about anywhere the cue ball goes down table.

As far as those who think a safety on the 1-ball is a good idea....has anyone ever seen a pool player NOT shoot in a short, straight-in shot? To my knowledge, I have not. A pool players ego won't let him/her do it. :D

Maniac

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
the safe off the one is the better safe shot as you are close to the ball and can hit the cueball where you want it to go.

with the 2 ball safe you will be farther away and be hitting it thin with the cueball running.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the safe off the one is the better safe shot as you are close to the ball and can hit the cueball where you want it to go.

with the 2 ball safe you will be farther away and be hitting it thin with the cueball running.

That's just wrong.

What safe are you going to play?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
If you decide that the side pocket can't be cheated and opt for defense, conceptually, a case can be made for the safety on the one. It's often right to play defense sooner rather than later once you have chosen defense.

That said, though, this isn't such a situation. A strong player can snooker off of either safety, so that's not really the issue.

The reason to shun the safety on the one is that if you don't earn ball in hand, the problem presented by the awkward position of the two and the three remains unaddressed. If, conversely, you make the one in the side and then play the left edge of the two ball for a safety, leaving the two relatively near the three, your opponent will have to kick toward the two and the three and your problem will often be solved.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, I'd have to go with cheating the 1 ball to the left side of the pocket,
a little high left to hit the rail just past the pocket, to get between the 2 & 3.
Shape from 3 to the 4 is key, IMO... gotta get an angle on the 4 to get
position on the 5.

$.02 and out.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
a little high left to hit the rail just past the pocket, to get between the 2 & 3.
Have you tried that? I don't need any side spin to get to the 2/3 on my table.

pj
chgo

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shape from 3 to the 4 is key, IMO... gotta get an angle on the 4 to get
position on the 5.

$.02 and out.
Many responders on this thread have talked about cheating the pocket on the 1-ball. If the cue ball / 1-ball is absolutely dead on the center of the side pocket, and if they are tighter side pockets to begin with, and with the angle shown here, the proposition of being able to successfully cheat the pocket to make the ball in one side of the pocket and get the cue ball to the side rail on the other side of the pocket is very risky. That's all I'm going to say - there are better options involving playing a safety.

Last edited:

babyboy70363

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just shoot the one in the side and draw 4 rails for shape on the 2.......run out from there!

Sent from my mobular device!

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Honestly, what I would like to do is bank the 1 into the 9 and make them both.

This game-winner also works for 10b, bang the 1 into the 9 and then into the 10, making all 3.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Honestly, what I would like to do is bank the 1 into the 9 and make them both.

This game-winner also works for 10b, bang the 1 into the 9 and then into the 10, making all 3.

I'm gonna need some weight!

Maniac (staying clear of BB)

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you decide that the side pocket can't be cheated and opt for defense, conceptually, a case can be made for the safety on the one. It's often right to play defense sooner rather than later once you have chosen defense.

That said, though, this isn't such a situation. A strong player can snooker off of either safety, so that's not really the issue.

The reason to shun the safety on the one is that if you don't earn ball in hand, the problem presented by the awkward position of the two and the three remains unaddressed. If, conversely, you make the one in the side and then play the left edge of the two ball for a safety, leaving the two relatively near the three, your opponent will have to kick toward the two and the three and your problem will often be solved.

No offense but anybody too incompetent to cheat a pocket on a straight in shot isn't going to run out anyway regardless of the layout.

Drop The Rock

1652nd on AZ Money List
Silver Member
This came up in a game recently. I ended up playing safe on the 2...and eventually ended up losing the rack. Just wondering if there is a good way to run this out that I am missing. just didn't feel comfortable with that 2 and 3 position...BTW, the cueball was dead straight on the 1 in the side...
picture.php
[/IMG]

For S&Gs I would try and draw three rails with bottom right. For the cash, cut the 2 thin into the 3 and try and play safe two rails.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
No offense but anybody too incompetent to cheat a pocket on a straight in shot isn't going to run out anyway regardless of the layout.

It's obvious that neither you nor I would fear cheating the pocket here. It's also irrelevant.

Ultimately, this thread is about the race to the first good shot on the two that offers reasonable prospects onto the three. Whether one wins after doing so is for another thread.

What you seem to be saying is that those with limited skills don't belong on this forum posting in this thread, and what I'm saying is that players uncomfortable cheating the pocket on a shit like this not only exist but are worth considering and are deserving of advice from those of us with greater abilities.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
It's obvious that neither you nor I would fear cheating the pocket here. It's also irrelevant.

Ultimately, this thread is about the race to the first good shot on the two that offers reasonable prospects onto the three. Whether one wins after doing so is for another thread.

What you seem to be saying is that those with limited skills don't belong on this forum posting in this thread, and what I'm saying is that players uncomfortable cheating the pocket on a shit like this not only exist but are worth considering and are deserving of advice from those of us with greater abilities.

Cheating the pocket on the close jaw is very risky...unless it’s a bucket.
Cheating the pocket on the far jaw is a snap...but that route has too many problems.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

pj
chgo

I'll be playing tonight so I'll set it up and try it... I'm pretty good with
cheating the side a little... that's on a GC 3, the sides aren't gigantic,
but it can be done. You might be right.. maybe just follow with no
side spin.. TBC.

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Yeah, I'd have to go with cheating the 1 ball to the left side of the pocket, a little high left to hit the rail just past the pocket, to get between the 2 & 3.
I'll be playing tonight so I'll set it up and try it... I'm pretty good with
cheating the side a little... that's on a GC 3, the sides aren't gigantic,
but it can be done.
I think the reason I don't need side is that (1) the shot's basically straight in, so it has to be hit firmly, making the CB go wide before hitting the rail, and (2) hitting firmly also creates more contact-induced spin, widening the rebound angle a little.

pj
chgo

Blank.jpg