how would you shoot this shot?

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this is your out ball, and the shot is just slightly off-angle
generally, where would you hit the cb, and with what speed?

Attachments

• IMG_2003.JPG
    IMG_2003.JPG
    119.3 KB · Views: 178

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Touch of low-left and just shoot it in. Med-firm.
Old hat, but play position with the cue ball, to enhance your focus and your choices (avoiding scratches and etc.) Play it two ways also--where do the cue ball and object ball wind up on a miss?

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Can you explain what you mean hy kill shpt please?
why not a medium speed rolling ball?
One interpretation (mine) would be getting the same end result (medium speed rolling CB), but avoiding the risk of rolloff by hitting the CB lower and a little faster so it slows down and slides or rolls into the OB at the desired reduced speed - "killing" speed.

pj
chgo

Last edited:

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Garczar why use low left? Why not center ball. A touch of low reduces any throw.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
One interpretation (mine) would be getting the same end result (medium speed rolling CB), but avoiding the risk of rolloff by hitting the CB lower and a little faster so it slows down and slides or rolls into the OB at the desired reduced speed - "killing" speed.

pj
chgo
PJ
Thats. “drag draw “ to me

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Touch of low-left and just shoot it in. Med-firm.
This^^^^

Aim for just inside the long rail point. The siding throws the OB toward the center. If you put it into the point the induced spin aids in sliding it in as well. The touch of draw allows for a stronger stroke without concern of where the CB may end up. If you need to play shape for whatever reason, make that shape relative to what should happen if you play the shot with low-left...lol.

Never roll a shot unless required. You're begging for a kick / skid / whatever you want to call it

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This^^^^

Aim for just inside the long rail point. The siding throws the OB toward the center. If you put it into the point the induced spin aids in sliding it in as well. The touch of draw allows for a stronger stroke without concern of where the CB may end up. If you need to play shape for whatever reason, make that shape relative to what should happen if you play the shot with low-left...lol.

Never roll a shot unless required. You're begging for a kick / skid / whatever you want to call it

low-left is how I hit the ball initially, and jawed it
I'm honestly not sure if I aimed at the long rail point or not
I probably didn't, but I actually thought about it after
will try that consciously, and see what it looks like
what's funny is that after I dogged the shot
I shot it with a rolling ball, and the ball dropped in nicely
but to me, that's a touchy shot..I feel like I have to hit it perfect
and as you mention, there is the kick/skid concern

thanks all for the replies-

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
low-left is how I hit the ball initially, and jawed it
I'm honestly not sure if I aimed at the long rail point or not
I probably didn't, but I actually thought about it after
will try that consciously, and see what it looks like
what's funny is that after I dogged the shot
I shot it with a rolling ball, and the ball dropped in nicely
but to me, that's a touchy shot..I feel like I have to hit it perfect
and as you mention, there is the kick/skid concern

thanks all for the replies-
Poorly aiming a shot doesn't equate to you going about the thought process wrong. You just missed. It happens... You could miss it three more time in a row, and I'd still say you played it right ;)

That said, if CJ wandered in here he'd tell you to hit it with inside and twist something or other....

Rolling the ball requires a light stroke. Everyone other than the 14.1 crowd will tell you to let your stroke out when you can...lol.

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You could hit that ball at almost any speed and have it die pretty quickly. Only thing I wouldn’t do is put any “extreme” spin. I often play around with shots like this at home for fun. Example...like hiting it with high right. Only issue (even at speed) is the possible right side pocket but even then not probable. Hit it at your comfortable speed and just don’t put right spin. That would be my advice. Center is fine and slight low or low left is fine. The ball will go in with anything you put on it. You just don’t want to scratch.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's true that outside spin reduces kicks, but rolling the CB doesn't increase them any more than other kinds of hit, less than some.

pj
chgo
it doesn't happen a lot for me, but enough to warrant concern- "the rolling ball kick"
there are of course variables to consider- speed, distance, equipment
but hitting with draw/outside is fun, and kicks are nearly non-existent hitting that way
and I find I don't have to worry as much about the variables as much

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
This Shot....FROM THIS DISTANCE. ....If you do anything besides rolling the cue ball with a 12 o'clock high cue ball at pocket speed (a speed that will not allow the cue ball to change direction because of roll off or balls being dirty upon contact)....
You INCREASE, your chances of jawing/missing or hanging that obj ball in the pocket.
As one adds More variables too this particular shot, your percentages of pocketing that ball pocket decrease.
Pocket speed is key, because if you catch the lip of the pocket, it still may go.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This Shot....FROM THIS DISTANCE. ....If you do anything besides rolling the cue ball with a 12 o'clock high cue ball at pocket speed (a speed that will not allow the cue ball to change direction because of roll off or balls being dirty upon contact)....
You INCREASE, your chances of jawing/missing or hanging that obj ball in the pocket.
As one adds More variables too this particular shot, your percentages of pocketing that ball pocket decrease.
Pocket speed is key, because if you catch the lip of the pocket, it still may go.
thanks bill
I'm glad I posted the thread..a lot of good ideas here
especially about things I need to practice ^_^