Hypnosis for pool

brigeton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just for being more relaxed & more confident. I was wondering who's tried it and if you thought it helped.
I've had private sessions to stop smoking and I think it helped me.

Reactions: Pin

ACL

I have been using it for just over a year and it has worked wonders for me.

As a matter of fact, I have been struggling recently and realized that I had gotten out of the habit of doing my hypnosis. After getting back to it, I have turned things around.

Highly recommend!

WobblyStroke

Hypnosis is a tool I've seen used outside of sport to improve a wide variety of areas in life. If it works for just about everything else, why not pool? Attitude and mental game are big parts of playing good pool and hypnosis can def help those. Won't do a lick for your stroke tho :p

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I get the impression the op isn't referring to self-hypnosis or meditation and that they're talking about seeing a hypnotist. That's on a different level. I find hypnosis to be a very interesting topic that I think is worth exploring, however, I'm not qualified to weigh in with an opinion. I think maybe some of you here aren't either. Hypnosis is serious business. It's not something to be taken lightly, and I think it's much more complicated than we think.

ACL

I get the impression the op isn't referring to self-hypnosis or meditation and that they're talking about seeing a hypnotist. That's on a different level. I find hypnosis to be a very interesting topic that I think is worth exploring, however, I'm not qualified to weigh in with an opinion. I think maybe some of you here aren't either. Hypnosis is serious business. It's not something to be taken lightly, and I think it's much more complicated than we think.
No argument. I only commented on my experience with it.

R2PQZ

What do you think?
Guy comes into the poolhall and asks to play $20 nine ball. I win almost every game. He raises bet to $50. Still winning almost every game. He raises the bet to $100. Still winning most games. Next he raises bet to $200 a game. Now I lose almost every game. Lose everything I was ahead and my $700. A friend hands me $1000. Come to the table facing a spot shot on the 9. Under my breath I say STAY DOWN AND FOLLOW THROUGH. Repeat over and over. After 3 games I was in a zone and the mantra was not necessary. I win back my $700 and win an additional $1500. Self hypnosis worked for me that day.
What do you think?
A sports psychologist would be the way to go.

Reactions: ACL

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is very serious business, this hypnosis. The real danger is that you might start clucking like a chicken on the money ball. I've seen it happen -- not pretty.

phreaticus

Just for being more relaxed & more confident. I was wondering who's tried it and if you thought it helped.
Its an interesting topic, thanks for sharing your experience. I’ve read and digested some material on it. CJ Wiley used to have a few short vids on minor forms of meditation techniques for pool players on YouTube.

Basic consistent box breathing can actually be a subtle form. Its harder to do than many realize, but has many benefits. I’m a lifelong scuba diver and steady periods of square wave breathing can definitely lower the heart rate and induce deep relaxed razor focus, very similar to the zone state in pool.

Love to hear anyone’s experience in these areas, relative to pool.

Reactions: Pin

Pin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I used to use a short visualization routine before getting to the venue. Briefly, it involved first thinking about (recreating the experience in my mind) of feeling relaxed, engaged in what I was doing, and confident, then holding onto that feeling, and visualizing playing while feeling way.
It worked well for me.

As for 'proper' hypnosis, I can't comment (for the reasons Fran has reminded me of!)

I do think the mental game is a rabbit hole you can disappear down, without helping yourself, for years. I did. Eventually I came out the other side much better, but TBH there was a large slice of luck in that. I would advise most people to steer clear (although if you have a good professional, maybe it's a different proposition).