I hate league

stolz2

Kid Mack
Silver Member
So I was asked to play on a masters apa league by some one im doing business with, so I kinda felt obligated.

And I just have to vent and say that I hate it. It's some weird format where you play 8 game of 9 ball and then switch to 8 ball or vise versa. And who ever gets the majority of the games wins.

Am I gambling too much? Because this APA thing is just really boring, even when I win, I feel like I have lost because there is no $$$ involved. Except the $10 + 75 cents a game... :(

And even when someone beats me, I feel like asking them to gamble. Does anyone else feel this way? If I had not given my word, I would quite. I dont want to run around giving everyone high fives when I win either.

Sorry I just had to vent and say league is not fior me.

-MS

Adanac67

Predator=Awesome
Silver Member
League is not for everyone. I quit for 3-4 years and didn't really miss it. Now I do and am going to play Summer 9 ball with a few friends who are bored with tournaments. I would say that because you are committed for the rest of the year, you may as well have a smile on your face, do your best for your team and at least act like a teammate. There is an old saying that I use all the time. This too shall pass.

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
I, too, took a hiatus from league play this past season. Not so much because I was bored...I rarely get bored with playing...but because I got tired of all the politics involved. When you captain a team, you cannot help but have to deal with it...and it was this, that caused me to take a break.

I decided to play strictly in tournies this season...but sadly here too, the politics exist, only in a different form...and I am growing weary now of these as well.

So, until the next league season begins again in the fall....I will just have fun going out and shooting some good ol' fashioned tavern pool....where you pony up the quarters, and you hold the table until someone can take you off. :D

Lisa

MrLucky

Pool Fanatic!!
Silver Member
I would also eho...

League isn't for everyone~ Some folks like you get their thrills and enjoyment from gambling! APA isn't structured toward that ! Some do not like the only call the eight ball rule ! I am ambivalent myself on that one myself but I also fully understand the reason for the rule!

So :) when I want to gamble or play call pocket 8 I play else where :) But every Sunday I and my team are out there battling in the league also!

stick8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
league play

stolz2 said:
So I was asked to play on a masters apa league by some one im doing business with, so I kinda felt obligated.

And I just have to vent and say that I hate it. It's some weird format where you play 8 game of 9 ball and then switch to 8 ball or vise versa. And who ever gets the majority of the games wins.

Am I gambling too much? Because this APA thing is just really boring, even when I win, I feel like I have lost because there is no $$$ involved. Except the $10 + 75 cents a game... :(

And even when someone beats me, I feel like asking them to gamble. Does anyone else feel this way? If I had not given my word, I would quite. I dont want to run around giving everyone high fives when I win either.

Sorry I just had to vent and say league is not fior me.

-MS
your problem might be you dont drink enough, i would have to be numb to play league !!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Gregg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Instead of bashing leage play, why not just come out and say you don't like to play, unless it's for money?

I personally look forward to my leage night out with friends, some beers, and some pool.

bigskyjake

you heard the man
Silver Member
stick8 said:
your problem might be you dont drink enough, i would have to be numb to play league !!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Too true, too true. I usually show up a couple hours early for league just so I can get blazed to take the monotony out of it. Everything is way more fun when you are drunk:D

sde

Silver Member
bigskyjake said:
Too true, too true. I usually show up a couple hours early for league just so I can get blazed to take the monotony out of it. Everything is way more fun when you are drunk:D

For me getting drunk on league night sure made all the waiting around more enjoyable and I always felt that being "relaxed" made me play better. I did this for several years until I finally seen the light. And it was flashing behind me! :eek:

Now days I have 3 beers between 7 and 8 PM and then water the rest of the night. I do not have as much fun, but I have to admit that playing sober or near sober has brought my game up a notch.

So now I play better, drive home much safer and do not have as much fun. lol But it is still all and good.

Steve

PKM

OB-1 Kenobi
Silver Member
Gregg said:
Instead of bashing leage play, why not just come out and say you don't like to play, unless it's for money?

Exactly, which I don't really understand. Even if you don't like just playing randomly with your friends without money, league gives you at least some kind of competitive atmosphere -- more so at the master's level I would think -- so you should be able to have some motivation.

There are other possible problems with league play of course, but if lack of gambling is the only issue that's pretty darn good.

PROG8R

Gator Nation
Silver Member
sde said:
For me getting drunk on league night sure made all the waiting around more enjoyable and I always felt that being "relaxed" made me play better. I did this for several years until I finally seen the light. And it was flashing behind me! :eek:

Now days I have 3 beers between 7 and 8 PM and then water the rest of the night. I do not have as much fun, but I have to admit that playing sober or near sober has brought my game up a notch.

So now I play better, drive home much safer and do not have as much fun. lol But it is still all and good.

Steve

Learning to play sober was like learning to play all over again.

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Yeah ...

It's hard to keep'm on the farm when they been to the city .... LOL :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I quit leagues 3 years ago, and don't miss it a bit. I have been asked to play on teams recently, but have refused. These are my reasons why:

1) I don't play on a team that does not have a good shot at 1st.
2) I really don't like to wait about 16 weeks for the money.
3) Most teams that go to Vegas have NO chance of winning 2 matches
in a row, let alone the tournament. The 'NO Handicap' rule brings them back to reality. But everyone should go at least once to readjust their perspective about how good they think they are. But, it is fun, and you meet lots of people.

My background with Nationals: VNEA and BCA, I have been on teams that placed 16th and 32nd at VNEA Internationals. The latter one, 32nd, was out of 1352 teams playing in the Open. I also placed 9th in singles 8 ball with over a 1,000 players.

If you have one 'weak sister' on the team at Nationals, you can kiss your team goodbye.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
stolz2 said:
-MS

Eight games of 9-ball and THEN you switch to 8-ball :eek: :eek: :eek: ???

Holy crap stolz2, you oughta try shootin' in my league if you think you got it so bad (regular APA). Hell, we play five matches per night, one at a time, with some matches lasting as long as 45 minutes (lower skill levels=more innings=longer matches) :( !!! How would you like to sit in a smoky bar for three hours waitin' to play in the last match of the night and then draw a skill level 2 player and have that player shoot like a skill level 4 and win his/her match in two games in a total of about 15 minutes :eek: ???

Geez, it sounds like you go in and start shootin' right away and get in at least 15 games. And, you're shootin' in the Masters Division, so you know up front that you are gonna be playing a good shooter, no matter what level they are assigned.

You don't know just how good you got it!!!

Maniac

Rich R.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
stolz2 said:
This is the same format that the APA uses for their U.S. Amateur Championship. 8 ball and 9 ball are quite different games and they require different skills. The winner of this format is definitely the better all around player.

Concerning the fact that you hate playing in the league, all I can say is that you have discovered that you like gambling more than you like playing pool.

stolz2

Kid Mack
Silver Member
Gregg said:

I personally look forward to my leage night out with friends, some beers, and some pool.

Because sometimes I do like to play for nothing. But thats mainly just when the person im playing with is better then me or pretty even. Or to show somebody there not better then me.

-Mack

stolz2

Kid Mack
Silver Member
Maniac said:
Eight games of 9-ball and THEN you switch to 8-ball :eek: :eek: :eek: ???

Holy crap stolz2, you oughta try shootin' in my league if you think you got it so bad (regular APA). Hell, we play five matches per night, one at a time, with some matches lasting as long as 45 minutes (lower skill levels=more innings=longer matches) :( !!! How would you like to sit in a smoky bar for three hours waitin' to play in the last match of the night and then draw a skill level 2 player and have that player shoot like a skill level 4 and win his/her match in two games in a total of about 15 minutes :eek: ???

Geez, it sounds like you go in and start shootin' right away and get in at least 15 games. And, you're shootin' in the Masters Division, so you know up front that you are gonna be playing a good shooter, no matter what level they are assigned.

You don't know just how good you got it!!!

Maniac

Point taken... thanks.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i honestly dont know what a league is, Gods honest truth, and i dont care, I never liked tournments either, they are fun to watch sometimes, but I like action 1 on 1 or a ring game for fun, as far as drinking, I dont play anyone who is drinking with the exception of one friend. I dont like drinking and pool, let the bowlers drink.

stolz2

Kid Mack
Silver Member
nope

Rich R. said:
This is the same format that the APA uses for their U.S. Amateur Championship. 8 ball and 9 ball are quite different games and they require different skills. The winner of this format is definitely the better all around player.

Concerning the fact that you hate playing in the league, all I can say is that you have discovered that you like gambling more than you like playing pool.

Not really because I love billiards in general. I just started learning 3 cushion and think it's great.

I guess I just like the heart that's involved when gambling is involved, I believe that you take more from the person then just there money when you win. And something hurts more for me then just whats at stake monetarily, call it pride I guess.

-Mack

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
stolz2 said:
Because sometimes I do like to play for nothing. But thats mainly just when the person im playing with is better then me or pretty even.

For sure it sounds like you should go back to gambling with lesser players for their lunch money. That's real pool :rolleyes:

Dave

bubsbug

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
stolz2 said:
Because sometimes I do like to play for nothing. But thats mainly just when the person im playing with is better then me or pretty even. Or to show somebody there not better then me.

-Mack
I see! You only like to gamble with people you know you can beat!

rackem

SUPPORT CLUB MEMBERSHIP
Silver Member
stolz2 said:

-Mack
So you don't like to gamble unless you got the Nuts. That ain't gambling. That's Robbing.:rolleyes: :)