I keep thinking I’m double hitting the cue ball

Anyone else had this problem?
Maybe you are? I’ve done it more times than I care to admit, and sometimes I’m the only one that knows it happened. It’s the equivalent of the “yips” in golf.

You decelerate right at the point of contact, and then suddenly accelerate just after contact, causing the double hit.
 
Is my mind playing tricks on me. I’ll describe as best I can.

so I stopped playing for a long time. Partially because of this exact reason. I was getting damn good then this started happening and I couldn’t figure out why. I keep thinking I’m double hitting the cue ball on softer follow shots. Sometimes I’ll even pull back my cue instead of following through now and not intentionally. Even when I pull back sometimes it seems like a double hit.

Also on very long shots. It’s like I hear two hits on cue ball. I can’t hit softer on them. I started playing again and the same thing is happening. If I use less follow I can keep it under control but with 3/4 to max follow I’m screwed. A little insight also is that I had a torn bicep tendon a few years ago that needed two surgeries to repair. But when I check my stroke it seems fluid. I don’t know what is going on here.
 
Also does not happen to me on draw shots! And off rail I am good to go. It is legitimately only when cue ball is in open space. I’m almost scared to hit follow there at this point. Between tournaments and money games cost me a lot of cash over the course. I used to gamble almost daily. Never played high stakes much but one time I can remember was up $350 on a guy named Jay at hill/hill double or nothing. had the nine ball in middle of the table at 4th diamond cue ball at first diamond. I don’t know exactly where but a draw shot was a scratch. I hit the ball so hard so there was no double hit I flew the 9 off the table. At least it was in if the pocket was higher! But That’s the last money game I think I ever played.
 
Last edited:
One last thing it first started happening or I just started noticing it when I was learning one pocket and almost all shots are soft shots. Could my ears be playing tricks on me?
 
One last thing it first started happening or I just started noticing it when I was learning one pocket and almost all shots are soft shots. Could my ears be playing tricks on me?
Even on soft shots, you do still have to smoothly accelerate through the cue ball. As long as you concentrate on accelerating through the cue ball after the pause at the completion of your backstroke, you should not have to worry about double hits on the cue ball.
 
Even on soft shots, you do still have to smoothly accelerate through the cue ball. As long as you concentrate on accelerating through the cue ball after the pause at the completion of your backstroke, you should not have to worry about double hits on the cue ball.
I’m working on it! I want to see if anyone else has had this dilemma. If so trying to come up with a solution. All this has me thinking I’ll play with one ear plug in to see if I still hear 2 hits. I never notice it after a few drinks. That’s probably why I can still play like a champ after them.
 
Even on soft shots, you do still have to smoothly accelerate through the cue ball. As long as you concentrate on accelerating through the cue ball after the pause at the completion of your backstroke, you should not have to worry about double hits on the cue ball.

Some people have a tendency to try to “push” the cue ball on soft shots rather than stroking the cue ball.

The “pushing” makes them not have enough follow through to move the cue ball fast enough, so they “jab” after the “push”.
 
Some people have a tendency to try to “push” the cue ball on soft shots rather than stroking the cue ball.

The “pushing” makes them not have enough follow through to move the cue ball fast enough, so they “jab” after the “push”.
So are you saying my stroke is maybe not long enough. this is causing me to compensate at the end of it? I can hit with little to no grip and still hear the double tap if you will. It seems like it would be really hard to poke after contact with that grip. Thought it was a loose ferrule or weight at first. Because it’s a fast tap tap. Even contacted Viking on it. But it happens with other cues too.
 
So are you saying my stroke is maybe not long enough. this is causing me to compensate at the end of it? I can hit with little to no grip and still hear the double tap if you will. It seems like it would be really hard to poke after contact with that grip. Thought it was a loose ferrule or weight at first. Because it’s a fast tap tap. Even contacted Viking on it. But it happens with other cues too.

It seems to be you, not the cues.

Set your phone next to the table to the side of you and video yourself. Zoom the camera as close to the cue ball as you can.
 
Pretty high sometimes. But it’s not a miscue
When it happens to me it's always because I hit just a hair past the miscue limit - not enough past to miscue entirely, but just enough so the tip "skids" a little on the ball (at least that's what it feels/sounds like).

Dr. Dave's video about elevated cue shots shows that the tip skids on the CB with follow when you jack up over a blocking ball - and the shooter usually can't tell. That may not describe your shot, but it demonstrates that miscuing isn't always obvious to the shooter.

pj
chgo
 
When it happens to me it's always because I hit just a hair past the miscue limit - not enough past to miscue entirely, but just enough so the tip "skids" a little on the ball (at least that's what it feels/sounds like).

Dr. Dave's video about elevated cue shots shows that the tip skids on the CB with follow when you jack up over a blocking ball - and the shooter usually can't tell. That may not describe your shot, but it demonstrates that miscuing isn't always obvious to the shooter.

pj
chgo
That was what I was thinking when I asked how high he was hitting on the cue ball.
 
When it happens to me it's always because I hit just a hair past the miscue limit - not enough past to miscue entirely, but just enough so the tip "skids" a little on the ball (at least that's what it feels/sounds like).

Dr. Dave's video about elevated cue shots shows that the tip skids on the CB with follow when you jack up over a blocking ball - and the shooter usually can't tell. That may not describe your shot, but it demonstrates that miscuing isn't always obvious to the shooter.

pj
chgo
So technically it is a foul, but is that really a foul or do you keep shooting after? This could very well be what I’m doing, and I for sure hear it. About a tip up is my max before there is a chance of this happening. Plus using a 12 or slightly smaller tip on players. Regular shaft.
 
Last edited:
When it happens to me it's always because I hit just a hair past the miscue limit - not enough past to miscue entirely, but just enough so the tip "skids" a little on the ball (at least that's what it feels/sounds like).

Dr. Dave's video about elevated cue shots shows that the tip skids on the CB with follow when you jack up over a blocking ball - and the shooter usually can't tell. That may not describe your shot, but it demonstrates that miscuing isn't always obvious to the It seems to be you, not the cues.
Set your phone next to the table to the side of you and video yourself. Zoom the camera as close to the cue ball as you can.
It seems to be you, not the cues.

Set your phone next to the table to the side of you and video yourself. Zoom the camera as close to the cue ball as you can.
I’m going to give it a go and let you all know. Thanks.
 
I didn’t have a chance to set up a camera yet but I did have an extensive session today. Seems like on my follows I am hitting the cue ball a bit higher than I thought. Was sounding shitty so I threw in an earplug and it sounded better. Then I switched ears. Then without. My stroke is sounding a lot better. I can finally hear the sound of a solid hit in my cue again. so maybe my ears were part of the problem.

im going to try tackling this better in the next few days and be back with an update. The balls I have are crap and I’m waiting on some super pros. The brand new Simonis looks like a shitty golfer just got done at the driving range. Ugh! Well pretty close anyway. Without the divots. The balls are so bad they lose English after about 2 feet.
 
On every shot?
It's not a called foul because it can't really be seen either by watching the contact or the cue ball's action.

No harm, no foul.

pj
chgo
Even on soft shots, you do still have to smoothly accelerate through the cue ball. As long as you concentrate on accelerating through the cue ball after the pause at the completion of your backstroke, you should not have to worry about double hits on the cue ball.
I think I figured it out. Either my cue has a loose weight or I have a crack under the wrap. That’s the extra sound I’ve been hearing. I’m probably hearing “ghost” sounds on others. When I gently drop the butt end on the table I here almost a creak. Like the wood is cracked. Anyone know what size Allen to tighten weights on a Viking? Honestly I’m thinking the forearm probably has a small crack in it though. That’s great if it is the forearm because I’m thinking cue would look so much better with a smoked maple finish anyway.
 
Back
Top