I know this shot!

Stones

YEAH, I'M WOOFING AT YOU!
Silver Member
As in most areas around the country, Diamond bar boxes have replaced a lot of the Valleys over the last few years.

When the Diamonds first started showing up, I noticed real quick they banked much tighter than the old Valleys, so I had to make the adjustment. Also, the ball being banked seemed to really tighten up coming off the second rail making long two railers tough.

At league tonight playing on an old Valley with new cloth, I was left with my last two balls on the end rail with the cue ball down table after my opponent's failed safety attempt to hide me completely.

If I tried a long one rail shot, I would lose position on my last ball. I felt my only options were to try a long, end to end, two railer or thin cut one of my balls and play a risky three rail safety.

As I got down on the shot, my head was over the corner pocket. I glanced down and saw the Valley logo on the corner pocket cover. I thought "I know this shot!" having played on Valleys thirty years before I ever saw my first Diamond.

I knew that the object ball wouldn't tighten the angle as much off the second rail as on a Diamond.

Well, I called the shot and my opponent chuckled. When I nailed it, I thought he was going to faint. Easy out after that.

Don't think I would have even tried that shot on a Diamond.

Stones

Last edited:

Stones

YEAH, I'M WOOFING AT YOU!
Silver Member
I play on both a lot my self I really like how the diamond tables play

No doubt about it! I love the way Diamond tables play also.

It just reminded me of a quote by Steve Davis, English snooker champion, when asked what his greatest ability was.

He said the ability to adjust to the conditions of the table faster than anyone else.

Stones

Busboy

Wanna Play Some?
Silver Member
No doubt about it! I love the way Diamond tables play also.

It just reminded me of a quote by Steve Davis, English snooker champion, when asked what his greatest ability was.

He said the ability to adjust to the conditions of the table faster than anyone else.

Stones

Its a great ability too have hardest thing to adjust on the two imo is the banks love how the diamonds bank

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
As in most areas around the country, Diamond bar boxes have replaced a lot of the Valleys over the last few years.

When the Diamonds first started showing up, I noticed real quick they banked much tighter than the old Valleys, so I had to make the adjustment. Also, the ball being banked seemed to really tighten up coming off the second rail making long two railers tough.

At league tonight playing on an old Valley with new cloth, I was left with my last two balls on the end rail with the cue ball down table after my opponent's failed safety attempt to hide me completely.

If I tried a long one rail shot, I would lose position on my last ball. I felt my only options were to try a long, end to end, two railer or thin cut one of my balls and play a risky three rail safety.

As I got down on the shot, my head was over the corner pocket. I glanced down and saw the Valley logo on the corner pocket cover. I thought "I know this shot!" having played on Valleys thirty years before I ever saw my first Diamond.

I knew that the object ball wouldn't tighten the angle as much off the second rail as on a Diamond.

Well, I called the shot and my opponent chuckled. When I nailed it, I thought he was going to faint. Easy out after that.

Don't think I would have even tried that shot on a Diamond.

Stones

That's a great feeling, secret knowledge to boost your confidence on a shot and just draining it.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the Diamond bar tables so much better then the Valley tables that I will never again play in a league on the Valley tables.
(unless there is a huge bribe :thumbup:)

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
I've been playing on Valley barboxes lately and I'm amazed at how short they bank compared to the 8-foot table I'm used to playing on.

If a Diamond barbox banks even tighter than a Valley...wow, that would call for a Major adjustment.

Mikjary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The 7 foot Diamonds play like their big brother, the 9 footers. The rails and pockets play a lot alike. When you shoot on either table, there's a similarity in the way the balls come off of the rails and how the pockets take your different speeds and angles.

The thing I really like about the Valley tables is that they ARE different. The rails are different for banking and the pockets have the shorter shelves. The game is not the same as on a 9 foot table.

The patterns are not the same. You'll spin forward with inside english instead of drawing back with outside spin. Rail shots are more forgiving and if somebody doesn't ruin the table by putting live rails on it, the banks play pretty true.

I like a bar table to play like a bar table and a 9 footer to play different than a bar table. Don't care for the Diamond bar boxes for that reason.

Best,
Mike

Mikjary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been playing on Valley barboxes lately and I'm amazed at how short they bank compared to the 8-foot table I'm used to playing on.

If a Diamond barbox banks even tighter than a Valley...wow, that would call for a Major adjustment.

The rails may have been changed. I play at a bar that put those Ridgeback rails on all the tables. You can touch the cue ball and it will hit 9 rails. :wink:

The banks are shorter and the patterns have changed if I go to a rail and back. On shots where I would hit 1 rail for position, I now factor in an extra rail. You don't need a stroke to move the cue ball around the table. I have to bunt balls and spin everything in. :frown:

Best,
Mike

bsmutz

Fearlessly Happy
Silver Member
We have a Valley table at our home bar in league that has 860 on the bed and some kind of crappy felt that pills on the rails. One rail is so f'ed up that you can shoot the cue ball from an inch to the left of the side pocket to about an inch or two to the right of the opposite side pocket with a little bit of left to hold it and it will go straight off the rail into the corner pocket to your right. Always a guessing game as to how to play any ball off of the rails. We try to avoid that table as much as we can. I definitely like the consistency of the Diamonds over the absolute crap shoot you can get from sloppily installed Valleys.